NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,256 of 4,971
Well, all subjective variance aside (your hearing, preferences, etc), many find Vali to do a wonderful job of driving 250Ohm and higher Beyers. I use it often with my T90's with great enjoyment.

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #3,257 of 4,971
Just picked up my Vali from FedEx. I'll be able to hook it up in a couple hours and give it a listen with my HD800 (and RS1i, but I got it mainly for the HD800).

Currently using a Burson HA160D, which I happen to think sounds pretty good with the HD800. It's not bright or tizzy at all. But it lacks in creating a massive soundstage and in representing subtle definition in bass notes. I'll be curious how the Vali pairs with the 160D DAC.

And I bought a used Emotiva DC-1 and that should arrive next week. So i'll have some fun comparing the Vali on the Burson DAC, the Vali on the DC-1 DAC and the Burson/ DC-1 internal amps, as well. Should be a fun week :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #3,260 of 4,971
HE-300's are in and paired with the Schiit Vali+Modi they sound great. Vocals are very forward and the sound stage is much wider than expected.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,261 of 4,971
I was finally brave enough to turn the Vali to 9:00 on the pot. 
biggrin.gif
 Better hang on...

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,262 of 4,971
biggrin.gif
 Better hang on...

what...
I need to get this dial number thing straight what does nine look like. To me its barely on at 9oclock.. The knob starts at 7.

if 9 is 3 o'clock then i get it.
 is this what it means

if that is loud for the hd650 then it has more than enough power for the ZMF Mod. Hey and after all the alpha dogs and mad dogs you stuck with the 650 after all. That is my fav for a reason. The drums and transient response is something else.

after all this time here that is something i chose to ignore because all the volume knobs are so different.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #3,263 of 4,971
biggrin.gif
 Better hang on...

lol.  I've had my Vali for about a week now, and I rarely turn it up past 9:00.  Things can get loud fast.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3,266 of 4,971
  Hd650. 9:00 is quite loud to my ears. I mean this:

what... dude that is barely on.... 7 is off..^that is normal listening level for my yamahas.. then i turn it down to 8 for a long session.. that must be silent to me on the hd650.

This is all from saying that 7 is silent. I can still hear harmonics at 9.  don't make me ask how old you are... lol j/p

I will admit that it gets loud pretty fast and at 10 these 37 ohms are pretty loud... but i put it at 9 on easier to drive headphones and my son and wife say its just a tiny bit loud and they don't listen to music that much.... 

I want your hearing abilities... I would save money.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,267 of 4,971
I was worried about my hearing...tinnitus problems. So I went to see the ENT and the first thing that he had me do was get tested by the audiologist. She said that she had been administering hearing test for 15 years and that my hearing was top five best she had ever seen. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm in my 40's. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #3,268 of 4,971
  I was worried about my hearing...tinnitus problems. So I went to see the ENT and the first thing that he had me do was get tested by the audiologist. She said that she had been administering hearing test for 15 years and that my hearing was top five best she had ever seen. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm in my 40's. 

that explains it... you lucky guy you..
wink.gif
I am probably average and after head-fi less than average now. 

hopefully you remember that when someone asks you if an amp is loud enough or if a headphone is hard to drive.
triportsad.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #3,269 of 4,971
So I’ve been running the Vali for the past 6 hours or so, listening to music for around 2 hours or so here and there and mixing it up with the Burson HA160D internal amp. All comments are with the HD800.

Keep in mind that I am seemingly one of the few remaining head-fi members who doesn’t think the HA160D is a piece of crap, lol (and has tried out enough quality gear to be able to have a point of comparison). There’s been a big backlash against the original 160 series around these parts and I don’t get it, honestly. It has some faults but  sometimes I like more bottom heavy, beefy sound. It does not sound thin or piercing with the HD800 to me. The HD800 treble is not an issue at all on the HA160D. the issue is congested soundstage and a little lack of clarity, imo.

So, note that it's the same 160D DAC for both amps, internal Burson amp and Vali. pre outs into the Vali.

First of all, I would not call the differences huge but I think my definition of a huge change is something that’s only possible by changing headphones or speakers. others here might call it big, I don’t know.

first impression:

Vali is cleaner with less mid bass smearing to my ears. There seems to be a larger, more precise soundstage in part due to this cleaner bottom end. I don’t notice it on every song I listen to since not every song will have lots of, say, rapid beating drums or overlapping bass guitars. but the few I’ve heard so far that do sound more clear on the Vali to me.

It’s a subtle improvement to my ears. maybe for others it would be something more drastic - for me it’s subtle. but nice.

And for some songs with really strong vocals, the Vali is a little less grainy. a little more smooth. I’m less confident about this comment but I think I hear the difference now and then. grain of salt...

Overall, I think the sound is really good. Good bottom end with some punch, no piercing treble (or, at least, no excessive emphasis of the HD800s existing elevated treble) impressive soundstage and imaging, good tone and clarity. I like it.

So, yeah, first impressions are quite good for the Vali. I can’t wait to try it out with the Emotiva DC-1 next week. Historically, I’ve always been less capable of detecting DAC differences than Amp differences so don’t expect any future impressions to differ radically but, hey, you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back