NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,241 of 4,971
  This Yank knows how to drive on ice, like this morning. I used to have a Mustang GT (8 Cylinder RearWheelDrive) and managed to drive that monster on ice. Meantime the people that live in Buffalo or off the Great Lakes laugh at all of us.

Driving on ice is no joke. I do laugh when I see cars on video that are just going too fast and start to spin all over and crash into a guard rail. Common sence people!

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,242 of 4,971
Hi guys, is there any reason to not get the Vali and Modi? I have the choice of getting the Magni and Modi or O2/ODAC. The Vali the best option. I will be using it with the 990-250 ohms and maybe HE-400 in the future.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,243 of 4,971
  This Yank knows how to drive on ice, like this morning. I used to have a Mustang GT (8 Cylinder RearWheelDrive) and managed to drive that monster on ice. Meantime the people that live in Buffalo or off the Great Lakes laugh at all of us.

Driving on ice is no joke. I do laugh when I see cars on video that are just going too fast and start to spin all over and crash into a guard rail. Common sence people!

AWD and ABS won't save you on ice. I remember seeing some fool blast past me and my Mustang GT in an ABS equipped AWD upscale Jeep on a solid ice covered road. A drove past him 1/2 mile down the road, the fool didn't make the turn and was only able to stop with help from a tree. I bet you he broke every tube in his amp. I'm sure the ringing in his amp stopped well before the ringing in his head.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,244 of 4,971
  Hi guys, is there any reason to not get the Vali and Modi? I have the choice of getting the Magni and Modi or O2/ODAC. The Vali the best option. I will be using it with the 990-250 ohms and maybe HE-400 in the future.

I think the Vali would be a better pair with the HE-400, but the O2 might be better with the DT990. I think either way, though, that the ODAC might be a better option than the Modi.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,245 of 4,971
  I think the Vali would be a better pair with the HE-400, but the O2 might be better with the DT990. I think either way, though, that the ODAC might be a better option than the Modi.

+1 on the odac.. modi has a bass roll off. My odac has no problem. Atleast it mad my emotiva sound rolled off. The vali is smoothing out the bass as well. I just remember not being happy with the modi. 

I had the modi with my emotiva mini and it was the weak link.

I am happy with my odac+ vali combo.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3,246 of 4,971

+1 on the odac over the modi. The odac seems to be able to flesh out detail and maintain a nice natural tone. I never got that from the modi. It was always a little thin  to me. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,250 of 4,971
I have owned all of the above hp's but haven't heard the o2. Sorry to make you repost the hp's you will use.

I can say that the vali will do great for the he-400 and pretty good for the 650. the dt990, even though it is somewhat bright I would still use solid state to help its bass out. I can't picture the smooth bass of the vali going well with the airy bass of the dt990 but it may help its timbres or music tones out.  I would picture the he-400 doing great with the vali. 

the o2 was built using the hd650 as a reference so you cant go wrong there. I have used the hd650 with other tubes though and it was nice despite its already smooth nature. I don't think you can lose either way. But if the o2 is as analytical as they say then the he-400 and the o2 may make an unpleasant listen. The he-400 imo can use some tube action for sure... mind you the vali isn't as tube sounding as most tube amps so its like a safe bet. 

Also if you ask anyone else on this thread they will most likely say the vali because it is comparable to other Top Of The Line amps in quality....so they say.. im too poor for those $1k amps so I wont know anytime soon.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,251 of 4,971

Probably less than an inch in the NE part of the city, maybe 2-3 inches elsewhere.

Many people (Yanks?) don't understand Atlanta, however:
  • Hills, ... lots of them, everywhere.
  • Temperatures rarely get below freezing.  When they do, the roads stay warmer until the last minute (after sundown), then the wet and slush freezes over hard, into solid ice.
  • People from out of state (Yanks?) who think they know how to drive in snow, but then don't realize it's ice.
Everybody's comparing it to 2011.  I don't think so - reminds me of SnowJam '82.  That was a wild one, too - cars/trucks abandoned all over the Interstate for days and days.  It took my wife about 4 hours to get home from work - 1/4 mile away.  I was lucky and was on foot.

(I promised I wouldn't comment anymore on the subject of the thread.
wink.gif
 )

What is this thing, snow? Ice? Driving in it? Hills? Wha?

Temperatures here in SoCal rarely get below 50 degrees. Heck, it hardly rains, nevermind snow, lol.
We're about to get mandatory water rationing out here, thanks to a lack of rain for the last few years.
On the bright side, I guess I don't have to worry about replacing my roof for a while yet.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #3,252 of 4,971
I got home in 30 minutes =D
Gotta love living in midtown sometimes and no school till next week?

Time for some music and hot chocolate! (Ran out of beer yesterday) Woohoo!
Oh, and it was 2.3 inches in metro atlanta.

Probably less than an inch in the NE part of the city, maybe 2-3 inches elsewhere.

Many people (Yanks?) don't understand Atlanta, however:
  1. Hills, ... lots of them, everywhere.
  2. Temperatures rarely get below freezing.  When they do, the roads stay warmer until the last minute (after sundown), then the wet and slush freezes over hard, into solid ice.
  3. People from out of state (Yanks?) who think they know how to drive in snow, but then don't realize it's ice.
Everybody's comparing it to 2011.  I don't think so - reminds me of SnowJam '82.  That was a wild one, too - cars/trucks abandoned all over the Interstate for days and days.  It took my wife about 4 hours to get home from work - 1/4 mile away.  I was lucky and was on foot.

(I promised I wouldn't comment anymore on the subject of the thread. :wink:  )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back