NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,851 of 4,971
  I can buy a used Magni from a friend for $70 or a new Vali. I plan to use them with a -12dbA attenuator with a GR07. Sound wise, which do most of you prefer? 
I feel like, since the GR07 are fairly neutral, the Vali would make it sound slightly different, which would be cool, but the price on the Magni is really awesome.

Get both! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,854 of 4,971
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,856 of 4,971
The Vali has arrived, today. I haven't had too much time with it yet, but so far so good. On back it shows S/N 000786. Peering through the holes on top, it appears that both tubes are in their proper position. So far I've tried it with three cans and one pair of IEM's with nothing scary to report.

I'll say for a mere $119 this is some bad Schiit and probably beats the crap out of stuff selling for more on eBay. So I ordered this on impulse from Amazon on Thursday night figuring how can they produce this for $199 and make it sound decent. It arrived, today, Saturday afternoon. I figured that it wasn't a lot to spend to satisfy my curiosity.

There's plenty of juice for the HD600's, turned up all the way it's plenty loud but not painful. I listen on the loud side but not headbanging crazy loud, I can listen with the HD600's with the volume at 12 o'clock and call that loud enough.

The HE-500's get loud enough but I won't have to worry about damaging my hearing. I have it listening with the knob at around 2:15 o'clock and that'll work for me. As expected these required more juice than the HD600's.

Just for Schiit and giggles I just plugged in a pair of Sony XBA-3 Triple Balanced Armature IEMs. These are more sensitive with a little more treble emphasis than the other two cans. In this case I can hear a little hiss and the ringing is more apparent when I plug in the jack. I didn't listen too carefully for the quality of bass, I'll check later. My concern is that they are 12 Ohms and the 6.5 output impedance of the Vali may not be low enough for proper damping. The HE-500's are 38 Ohms which normally would still be too low for a dynamic, but these are orthodynamic and should not be a problem.

So after reading many of the posts I was a bit concerned over the whinging about microphonics and ringing. But with the two cans I just tried, I think I'll be OK. I'm sure that some of you may have samples with bigger issues, so I'm glad to have gotten the luck of the draw.....Hold it let me try a pair of Momentum around ear cans........these are more sensitive and I can hear a bit of hiss. OK, back to the HE-500's.

Switching plugs/cans does make them ring for a while but it's not a loud in your face ringing, at least my sample doesn't seem to do so. Turning the volume knob or touching the case has no ill affect on my unit. Let see how I feel about this further down the road. Since I plan to use this amp with the HD600's and HE500's I don't think the hiss I heard with the XBA-3's and Momentums will be an issue. Did I mention? This amp does sound really nice. I had concerns about headroom, but in the short time I've spent with the Vali I haven't yet heard anything that give rise to concern, time will tell.

I'm not a big believer in burn in for amps, since IMO my brain and ears went through burn in many years ago, I'll be listening to familiar music to judge the sonic qualities of the Vali in the next few days. I'm hoping that no issues will turn up with microphonics or ringing. I'll be listening for issues with headroom or unwanted distortion. Now it's back to listening to music. Catch 'ya later.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,858 of 4,971
  The Vali has arrived, today. I haven't had too much time with it yet, but so far so good. On back it shows S/N 000786. Peering through the holes on top, it appears that both tubes are in their proper position. So far I've tried it with three cans and one pair of IEM's with nothing scary to report.

The HE-500's get loud enough but I won't have to worry about damaging my hearing. I have it listening with the knob at around 2:15 o'clock and that'll work for me. As expected these required more juice than the HD600's.

Great quickie. The HE500s get loud enough at 2:15, how high does the volume pot go? 6 o'clock? 9 o'clock? Does the HE500 get too loud at max volume?

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,859 of 4,971
I'm just saying, but anything past 9:30 on the volume knob using my Philips X1s and it is too loud for me (depending on the source of course). I guess thats normal for low impedance though.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2,860 of 4,971
I'm just saying, but anything past 9:30 on the volume knob using my Philips X1s and it is too loud for me (depending on the source of course). I guess thats normal for low impedance though.

I stick around the 10-1030 spot with my grado cans 

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #2,861 of 4,971

Well said sir. This is what we should be reading about the Vali.  I like it.

Thanks. I'm still listening with the HE-500's and I'm liking it. The bass is good. Cymbals and bells have the right sound, got the metallic clink right. Things go pop when they should. Instruments sound real.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #2,862 of 4,971
  Great quickie. The HE500s get loud enough at 2:15, how high does the volume pot go? 6 o'clock? 9 o'clock? Does the HE500 get too loud at max volume?

The volume pot is at minimum at 7 'o'clock, turns clockwise and max's out at 5 o'clock. It's plenty loud at max or 5 o'clock with the HE500's, just not blasting or painful. People that know me think I listen too loudly and I don't see a need to have it cranked up all the way. If you own a pair of HE-6's or something with that low efficiency/sensitivity then this is not the amp for that set of cans, however, most people don't have such cans.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2,863 of 4,971

I wouldn't say that low impedance is the determining factor. Different cans/IEM's have different sensitivities which at the same impedance can make a big difference in how loud the sound is. Then of course we are each different in our tastes and ears. In fact many tube amps that are great for driving 300 Ohm cans can't deliver enough power at low impedances for less sensitive cans. The Vali is a hybrid with a SS output stage and can deliver a decent amount of power. If one needs more power from a tube or hybrid then the wallet may have to open up a bit more.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #2,865 of 4,971
That's great to hear! Ugh my OCD makes me want to get a Modi for the visuals aha. Nice parrot! I've always been interested in owning a bird but I've never made the plunge.

I own a modi and my legendary ocd is pointing me in the opposing direction to yours. The vali has been in my 'cart' may ne a thousand times over now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back