NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,821 of 4,971
  I would tell you to use the "Search This Thread" feature in the forums, as it is incredibly useful, BUT!!! Since every page in this thread is about micro-phonics, you're SOL... btw, there is no solving micro-phonics, its a feature on the Vali :wink:

Someone mentioned on another thread (DT880 appreciation) said that there is a new version of the Vali that does not have the microphonics problem. Or at least not to the extent of the first ones.

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #2,822 of 4,971

Someone mentioned on another thread (DT880 appreciation) said that there is a new version of the Vali that does not have the microphonics problem. Or at least not to the extent of the first ones.

The only difference is recently Schiit started pre-bending the leads attached to the tubes in the Vali that "supposedly" help reduce the ringing caused by microphonics but it definitely doesn't eliminate it. I know this because I have a recently built Vali and can attest. Anyone who says there isn't any ringing or has eliminated it is lying.

"So what's the catch?
Compared to Magni? Several. One, Vali's ultimate power output is lower, so it's less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones. Two, many tubes, including the ones in Vali, are microphonic. When you plug in headphones on Vali, you'll hear a little "tiiinnnnggg...." noise that takes quite a while to go away. If you rap the chassis, it will do the same thing. If you work on, say, a paint shaker table, Vali's not going to be the best amp for you. Three, tubes also have a lifespan, though Vali's tubes are expected to last 10,000-20,000 hours--which is 7-14 years of listening 4 hours a day, every day." - FAQ http://schiit.com/products/vali

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2,823 of 4,971
  The only difference is recently Schiit started pre-bending the leads attached to the tubes in the Vali that "supposedly" help reduce the ringing caused by microphonics but it definitely doesn't eliminate it. I know this because I have a recently built Vali and can attest. Anyone who says there isn't any ringing or has eliminated it is lying.

"So what's the catch?
Compared to Magni? Several. One, Vali's ultimate power output is lower, so it's less suitable to orthodynamics and other hard-to-drive headphones. Two, many tubes, including the ones in Vali, are microphonic. When you plug in headphones on Vali, you'll hear a little "tiiinnnnggg...." noise that takes quite a while to go away. If you rap the chassis, it will do the same thing. If you work on, say, a paint shaker table, Vali's not going to be the best amp for you. Three, tubes also have a lifespan, though Vali's tubes are expected to last 10,000-20,000 hours--which is 7-14 years of listening 4 hours a day, every day." - FAQ http://schiit.com/products/vali

****, see! Now I'm talking about micro-phonics! This is why we can't have nice things :/

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,825 of 4,971

Maybe not lying per se but, either exaggerating or they think it has been solved cause they cant hear it...

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #2,826 of 4,971
  Maybe not lying per se but, either exaggerating or they think it has been solved cause they cant hear it...

Yeah I guess people with hearing loss could probably barely hear the ringing, if at all. It is what it is.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,828 of 4,971
Rules of owning a Vali::
1 When you plug your headphones in get a small extension 1/4 to 1/4 6-8 inches long solves the ringin issue. I made one for 5 bucks. 
2 Taping the amp...Don't hit the dang thing.. Why would you want to do that anyway? Seriously.
3 Its a 120 dollar tube amp using microphonic tubes Take it for what it is. 
4 If you have a problem with the amp or what it is doing. Then send it back to get repaired or get a refund. 
5 You have to be careful around your tube amp.
6 Let it warm up before you use it.  Have your headphone plugged in before you turn it on. or see rule 1

As for sound it does sound very good for what it is. Schiit did a good job with what they had to use, I would not hesitate to buy this amp again. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,832 of 4,971
Can you explain a bit more about how the ringing changed dramatically?

The ringing is not as loud and subsides much faster when plugging in the headphone, which may be less of an issue for those willing to wait while the ringing goes away before putting headphones on. Sometimes I can barely even hear it after plugging the headphone in with the headphones already on. However, the bigger issue for me was the nearly constant ringing that occurred while listening, and any slight, and I really mean slight, movement of the cable would produce ringing, loud enough to be heard through the music. Given, I was using the seemingly highly microphonic cable that comes with the he-500 at first, but it was also occurring with the he-400. Also, touching the vali to simply turn up the volume would produce noticeable ringing that was audible through the music.

What this ultimately lead to, before getting a replacement, was me sitting as still as possible, not changing the volume, and feeling pretty constrained. Post-replacement I am able to really the enjoy the music more while worrying less about the aforementioned issues.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,833 of 4,971
The ringing is not as loud and subsides much faster when plugging in the headphone, which may be less of an issue for those willing to wait while the ringing goes away before putting headphones on. Sometimes I can barely even hear it after plugging the headphone in with the headphones already on. However, the bigger issue for me was the nearly constant ringing that occurred while listening, and any slight, and I really mean slight, movement of the cable would produce ringing, loud enough to be heard through the music. Given, I was using the seemingly highly microphonic cable that comes with the he-500 at first, but it was also occurring with the he-400. Also, touching the vali to simply turn up the volume would produce noticeable ringing that was audible through the music.

What this ultimately lead to, before getting a replacement, was me sitting as still as possible, not changing the volume, and feeling pretty constrained. Post-replacement I am able to really the enjoy the music more while worrying less about the aforementioned issues.

So, now can you change the volume without ringing? I can accept ringing after plugging in the headphone, but probably not for every little volume change.

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,834 of 4,971
I started to yell obscenities and expletives because this thread keeps repeating itself over and over in regards to "micro-phonics". The funny thing is my Vali started ringing because of me yelling! hahahahahaha... Oh the Irony :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back