NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,266 of 4,971
i do believe i'm going to give my vali the same treatment !
nicely done !

Jay, my man, thank you. It gets a bit crowded when a whole post with pictures gets quoted. There are some good options, though. One can respond back just quote the text, or use the spoiler tag to conceal the text and pics of the post you are quoting or responding to. This prevents members from having to scroll through a long and repetitive post to see the next active one. But, it's all good.

I have a few more thoughts on a phase 2 of some additional mods that I would like to apply to the underside of the PCB and will get started on those tonight.

More good stuff to come ...

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,267 of 4,971
Jay, my man, thank you. It gets a bit crowded when a whole post with pictures gets quoted. There are some good options, though. One can respond back just quote the text, or use the spoiler tag to conceal the text and pics of the post you are quoting or responding to. This prevents members from having to scroll through a long and repetitive post to see the next active one. But, it's all good.

I have a few more thoughts on a phase 2 of some additional mods that I would like to apply to the underside of the PCB and will get started on those tonight.

More good stuff to come ...

but, alas, i have not yet learned that secret, that sorcery !! , lol
seriously, how do you apply the spoiler thing ??

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2,268 of 4,971
If I may offer an opinion, in response to several who wonder whether to get Magni or Vali ...

Disclaimer: I do not own a Vali, but I do own another brand of hybrid tube/ss amp, that is by all accounts, inferior.

What sounds best is always going to be what sounds best to you, on your setup, with your ears. All opinions are subjective. Even the best of them. Of course, if it were that easy, you'd just buy both amps and be done with it. What you're hoping for though, is someone to save you the expense of that little experiment (which will cost you precisely $99 or $119 dollars plus tax and shipping, depending on the outcome).

To be fair, no one can really answer that question. You need to try it for yourself. Really, we could all be wrong. No one knows your ears but you. And the ears are one of the least-discussed components in the audio chain.

That being said, in my experience, there is a distinct difference between a Budget-Fi solid state amp, and a Budget-Fi hybrid amp. IMO it's the same sort of difference that you'll find discussed between higher priced solid state and hybrid amps. The solid state amps are usually more clinical sounding, more accurate, less lively, but more precise. The amps with tubes in them sound less clinical, usually "warmer" (which I interpret as to mean more and realistic mid range), but less accurate, more lively, and less precise.

Even worse, different amps sound better or worse with different music. And so do different cans. There are a plethora of variables. So a question like this is much harder to answer than it might seem.

Which sounds better? I can find examples of both cases. Some people think solid state is best, because they don't like to color their music. Others really enjoy a nice tube sound, and are less concerned with precision.Some people, myself included, like to use both, depending on what music we're listening to at the moment.

Personally, it is my humble opinion that you really need to try both, at least once in your lifetime. You will never really know which type of amp you like better, with your music, until you try both of them for yourself. None of us here can tell you which one you're going to like better. Honestly, I think you'll like both - but in different circumstances (e.g. with different music or different cans). For the extra $99 or $119 bucks, it's just too easy to own both.

I agree with essentially all you have said. I have had hybrid amps before, tho. In fact, the last one was the Little Dot I amp with an op-amp upgrade and the tubes were upgraded to some special Voshkod tubes. While I did like that LD l+ combo, it still fell a bit short in sound performance compared to the LD I+ though. The Vali is quite a surprise though, and really has exceeded my expectations. I do not currently have the Magni, but have in the past.

I still think that giving the Valid a try is well worth it though. I had claimed that the LD I+ would be the last hybrid amp I would buy as I would stick with solid state amps. But theVali w as quite an eye opener for me.

Much more music as well as various combinations to listen too though. Too much music. Too little time.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,269 of 4,971
  Oatley's starved tube/IC headphone amp kit might be fun for someone  - http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6418-Tube-Preamp-Headphone-Kit/

Thanks for the good read!

This is the part that most interested me however:

"The valves are extremely microphonic and will "ring" if they are struck so rubber grommets are used to help damp the tubes. This does work and removes all audible noise from mechanical vibrations."

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #2,270 of 4,971

"The valves are extremely microphonic and will "ring" if they are struck so rubber grommets are used to help damp the tubes. This does work and removes all audible noise from mechanical vibrations."

Neato! 

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,271 of 4,971
Your opinion is only worth anything if you have heard at least a few other hybrid tube amps in a similar price range. And only if you have done it with the same setup. Preferably side by side.It makes no sense to compare apples to oranges.

No offense but without a scientific approach things get derailed.

Last time I checked this is the Vali thread, not the compare the Vali to some other hybrid tube amps of a similar price thread.  At no point did ame5051 say that this was the best amp ever or any other such  nonsense.  He clearly stated his impressions of the Vali with his headphones.  If you wanted to know if he had heard other amplifiers you could have just asked instead of being so confrontational. 

No offense, but you are the one who has derailed this thread with your stupid comment.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions ame5051.  I have found the Vali to have the same effect on the treble of the HD800.  It is able to correct the tendency of the HD800 to get a little harsh.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,272 of 4,971
I've been reading this thread and considering getting Vali for some Mad Dogs. But I was in a local store recently and tried some Bowers & Wilkins P7. The store did not have any amplification, but the headphones showed reasonable potential. Can anyone comment on them paired with Vali?

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2,273 of 4,971

Thank you. That's the article I was trying to find, some time ago when microphonics were being discussed. I saw those grommets on there and thought that would be a potential solution for the Vali. I could not put my hands on that link though. Glad you found it. Will be curious to hear if anyone tries this, and the outcome.

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,275 of 4,971
This thread is such a good read. Really the essence of HeadFi. Cheers to all.:)

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #2,276 of 4,971
  ~CooL - did you notice if the top had any tendency to ring when tapped before the Dynamat application?  is there capacitor coupling from the triode-tied tube to its next stage? 

Tapping on the top of the Vali can be an issue.  Hopefully, during our regular listening, we don't have to interface with the amp in such a manner.  Then again ...  Actually, if one needs to own an amp in a rough environment, then solid state should be the only option considered.  Plus, a rubber-ish case like the Bithead amps seem to have a rugged exterior.

I've been reading the additional follow-ups on this thread and amp quite curious about the use of rubber grommets.  I may try that mod, too, to see what the results are.  It will be late though, as I'll be sequestered from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. tonight.  I might be able to get by a Home Depot on the way home and check them out.  I'll grab measurements in a few moments on my way out the door.

As much as I've cued into the sound of the Asgard I amplifier - which is quite good, by the way, the Vali just has something there which is quite unique in the sound.  Really unique.  My suggestion to Schiit.  Spend a bit more R&D for the Vali 2 and bump the price of $40.00 to cover the R&D and some additional small parts required and you'll truly have a solid killer of an amp for a screaming price.  For those who have noted having desks with glass tops, or some of not the most solid surfaces, I'm not surprised that you're experiencing such noise issues.  Before tightening things down on mine, I have it sitting on a 250 Lb. desk that really doesn't move at all.  But, at that time, I could wrap on the desktop and get the microphonics to start humming along.

Enjoy!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,277 of 4,971
Great postings and really enjoy reading all the responses, except for a few harsh ones. I agree there is no need to criticize other people's opinions. We should appreciate their efforts for sharing their experience and knowledge.

I just ordered a Vali from Schiit. Looking forward to trying it with some of the new headphones I just bought during the Black Friday sales.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #2,278 of 4,971
Last time I checked this is the Vali thread, not the compare the Vali to some other hybrid tube amps of a similar price thread.  At no point did ame5051 say that this was the best amp ever or any other such  nonsense.  He clearly stated his impressions of the Vali with his headphones.  If you wanted to know if he had heard other amplifiers you could have just asked instead of being so confrontational. 

No offense, but you are the one who has derailed this thread with your stupid comment.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions ame5051.  I have found the Vali to have the same effect on the treble of the HD800.  It is able to correct the tendency of the HD800 to get a little harsh.

Start reading before you post, for a start. He said it was the best for the money. And that it is a bargain. A person who is not stupid would infer that it has to be better than most at a similar price. How can he comment on that without experience with other hybrids at the same price point?

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2,279 of 4,971
Just a thought in relation to microphonics, does it make any difference if the tubes are vertical or horizontal?    If i had one i would be tempted to drill two holes in the lid and stand them up vertically.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,280 of 4,971
This thread is such a good read. Really the essence of HeadFi. Cheers to all.
smily_headphones1.gif

A lot of informative, subjective opinions peppered with tech talk and the occasional person who's offended by subjective opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back