New V Moda Crossfade M100 Master
Oct 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #166 of 208
any headphone that claim to have 3D sound, which vmoda does, is basically altering the sound with that artificial virtual surround and or reverb etc... sony is calling it 360 degree audio or something. vmoda is calling it 3D sound. and its all a distortion of the natural accurate sound. and if they are building it right into the headphone then in my mind they are ruining their product. any of these effects should be added in on the user software level only. or mastered into the audio track according to the artists desire.
Do you have a link of where V-MODA claims 3D sound? And how “3D sound” in V-MODA’s definition translates to virtual sound? ‘Cos I believe 3D sound means more holographic - not electronically manipulated surround sound of phase shifting (‘cos phase shifting would be artificial in my opinion).

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #167 of 208
Do you have a link of where V-MODA claims 3D sound? And how “3D sound” in V-MODA’s definition translates to virtual sound? ‘Cos I believe 3D sound means more holographic - not electronically manipulated surround sound of phase shifting (‘cos phase shifting would be artificial in my opinion).

scroll down 4X on this link
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100

go to this link and hit ctrl + f and type 360
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z1r

and u can see some of what im talking about

fancy new terms for the same old thing bose started doing 20yrs ago

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #168 of 208
scroll down 4X on this link
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100

go to this link and hit ctrl + f and type 360
https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-z1r

and u can see some of what im talking about

fancy new terms for the same old thing bose started doing 20yrs ago
There’s no artificially induced sound here, there’s no phase shifting technology in either of these headphones. 3D here refers to the holographic soundstage presentation.

I think what you don’t like is just the tuning that the V-MODA is just too bassy for your tastes. Which in your definition is “not neutral”, and that’s fair enough as each listener has their own tastes. But both the M-100 & Z1R (which I also used to own) don’t produce artificial sound, like digital phase shifting.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #169 of 208
There’s no artificially induced sound here, there’s no phase shifting technology in either of these headphones. 3D here refers to the holographic soundstage presentation.

I think what you don’t like is just the tuning that the V-MODA is just too bassy for your tastes. Which in your definition is “not neutral”, and that’s fair enough as each listener has their own tastes. But both the M-100 & Z1R (which I also used to own) don’t produce artificial sound, like digital phase shifting.

so what did they do? put a bunch of little speakers in the ear cup pointing in all different directions? lol. how can you get bigger soundstage without having open back or phase shifting etc..

feel free to school me because i openly admit ignorance for my own future benefit

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #170 of 208
so what did they do? put a bunch of little speakers in the ear cup pointing in all different directions? lol. how can you get bigger soundstage without having open back or phase shifting etc..

feel free to school me because i openly admit ignorance for my own future benefit
I wrote in post #163 in the previous page (cup cavity design, porting, dampening, driver design/material, etc). And in the case of Ultrasone, they have their S-Logic (Plus) ports/vents (or barrier/wall, whatever you want to call it), in their ear cups.

The MDR-Z1R is particularly interesting with their use of Canadian softwood and the porous cup housing.

Edit: Pity you don’t have your M-100 anymore but otherwise, if you’re game for it. Open it up...try putting in different dampening materials in different positions in the earcups. Can even try sealing or opening up more vents in the shield, and you’ll see how you’ll alter the tuning - whether it’s more (or less) bass, etc.

Edit #2: or something less destructive, swap out the earpads - like the original M-100 with the M-100 Master, or a 3rd party earpad that’s compatible to the V-MODA headphones. That’ll alter the tuning too.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #171 of 208
Thank you for your thoughts!

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say once you get more of a chance to use them.
Hmmm...so I've done more listening to them last night and today, especially comparing to the suite of Crossfades that I have.

IMG_0687.jpeg

I still feel that the new M-100 Master has rather tame mids (lower mids to be more specific), which to my definition makes it have a somewhat typical HiFi-ish U-shaped sound. Therefore it's somewhat easily likeable for the average listener however I feel I do prefer the Crossfade Wireless Codex (listening to it wired) a little more. I like a little bit more flesh to my vocals.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #172 of 208
Hmmm...so I've done more listening to them last night and today, especially comparing to the suite of Crossfades that I have.

I still feel that the new M-100 Master has rather tame mids (lower mids to be more specific), which to my definition makes it have a somewhat typical HiFi-ish U-shaped sound.

U shape is fine for millenials and DJ's. Bad for lots of genres

Oct 31, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #174 of 208

I still feel that the new M-100 Master has rather tame mids (lower mids to be more specific), which to my definition makes it have a somewhat typical HiFi-ish U-shaped sound. Therefore it's somewhat easily likeable for the average listener however I feel I do prefer the Crossfade Wireless Codex (listening to it wired) a little more. I like a little bit more flesh to my vocals.

I think I agree with this assessment. Did you try different (larger) pads on the non-masters?

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #177 of 208
I would love to see a titanium m100.
However, I wouldn't want to see how much it would cost.

vmoda should make a m-100 master PRO version, that is titanium and has neutral sound signature.

endorsed and signed by buckethead!

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #179 of 208
Why not call it the M100 Master Titanium?

That would be pretty sick. Not gonna lie.

ya but i want a neutral sound signature option. so PRO might be better.

Pro is a commonly used term for the version that is made for a more professional use

professionals might want a lighter weight and a neutral sound signature for sound work

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #180 of 208
I think I agree with this assessment. Did you try different (larger) pads on the non-masters?
Not tried that yet, but thx for the reminder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back