New user with a question
Jan 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jecklc80

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and had a question for you all. I am looking for a decent pair of headphones but don't really know too much what to look for. My price range is $100 - $150. I'm looking for a full size set of headphones. I have looked at the Grado SR80i's and the AKG K141 MkII. Anyone have experience with those two or have any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.]

Thanks

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi!

It'd help to know what you plan on using your headphones for (genres of music, gaming, movies, etc), cause there are a lot of good phones in your price range. I haven't had experience with the ones you mentioned, but there are many that I could suggest, depending on what you're looking for.

Also, do you have a DAC or an amp, or are the phones going to be used straight out of your computer/music player?

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Ok mainly they are going to be used for listening to music from my stereo or my computer but occasionally from my mp3 player. I know a lot of full size headphones need an amp if they are to be used with an mp3 player. I would rather them sound good through my stereo and comp and sacrifice some sound from my mp3 until I can buy an amp. I listen to mostly alternative music. I'm looking for a crisp clean sound with some bass but nothing overpowering. Also looking for a pretty flat sound, I want to hear it the way they recorded it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Welcome

You could look for AKG 240's, could fit your description (I think you can get it for under 150 usd, but I'm not sure, I'm in EU)

Grado's don't have flat sound

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 13
If Grado's aren't flat...what would you call the AKG 240?

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Grado SR80i's do well with rock and alternative IMO. Decent bass and fantastic mid and high range. 

Quote:
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and had a question for you all. I am looking for a decent pair of headphones but don't really know too much what to look for. My price range is $100 - $150. I'm looking for a full size set of headphones. I have looked at the Grado SR80i's and the AKG K141 MkII. Anyone have experience with those two or have any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.]

Thanks

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I'd call them more neutral then Grado's, AKG style sound, but with some bass and probably under 150 usd.

Grado's are more fun though, you know I'm a Grado fanboy Arm.

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I know...I was just sayin'...and bustin' your chops a little. I agree...Grado is anything but neutral. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I know...I was just sayin'...and bustin' your chops a little. I agree...Grado is anything but neutral. 

beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I will throw the hd595 in the mix. It has some bass but not a much... sounds decent out of a mp3 player, computer like you want, but it has long cord...

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Given your sound preference, you might also want to read up on Audio Technica AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back