New top-of-the-line Audio Technica headphone: ATH-L3000, made from leather?!
Oct 21, 2003 at 9:45 AM Post #61 of 98
I know the premise of the leather is not sonic benefit, so it must be aiming for an aesthetic/materialistic appeal... and it fails miserably. This is one ugly-ass headphone.

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #62 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
yah... but usually your are paying for sound quality, not leather.

Well I tend to think it would actually be cheaper for them to use leather than to finish the wood. Plus they probably have less waste as they don't have to worry as much about visual flaws in the wood. Just a thought.

Oct 21, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #63 of 98
At this point, I wouldn't rule out sonic reasons for covering the wooden enclosures with leather. It could be that they can use thinner wood with different resonance properties now, since the leather cover provides additional structural integrity. I am afraid we simply don't know enough. Quote:

Be able to express without the ‚_ ‚Ü to sound, the fact that also large volume covers with room has been shown.

Does this refer to loudness and headroom or to the increased size of the enclosures?

However, if the main reason for the Connolly leather cover was the appeal to Bentley owners, I would be disappointed.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #64 of 98
i think bozebuttons should buy a pair so we can all get to hear them at next month's grado meet.
biggrin.gif

for the record i think they're pretty cool looking, not that looks are really my main deal with headphones.

Oct 21, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #66 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
What is the point to add leather on headphone, does it sound better?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

For $1800 (which is double the price of W2002), I HOPE it sound great!!!

AT must be hoping that baseball fans are also into hi-fi audio or something.

Oct 21, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #67 of 98
Quote:

AT must be hoping that baseball fans are also into hi-fi audio or something.

I'm personally not a baseball fan at all and I love the cans. The stitch reminds me of the stitched leather styling of Audi TT leather seats...

Not only that, like Tomcat pointed out, who knows if leather has some very desirable sonic effects such as vibration control...?

And I think leather will age so gracefully. Over time the value of these headphones are only going to rise. If the Aluminum HP-1/2s are getting more and more expensive nowadays, think about what this leather beauty will be like in several years time. A great marketing tactic, to produce only 500 of these absolutely gorgeous cans at a high price... what a way to raise brand image.

Sucks for us poor people who can't spend $2000 on a pair of headphones, though...
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #70 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by mjg
i think if u did buy them u should buy them for now, consmumer electronis are a horrible investment. Not always do they go up in value...

You think $2000 headphones qualify as "consumer electronics"?
wink.gif

Also I didn't talk about the whole rising of price thing to imply possible investment opportunities... but to reinforce the whole improving brand image thing by creating a kind of R-10/HP-1-ish cult around the 'phones.
wink.gif
Well, I guess though if a person had enough foresight during the days of the HP-1s, he would have bought hundreds and sold them all on Head-Fi for a really handsome profit...
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #71 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by doobooloo
Not only that, like Tomcat pointed out, who knows if leather has some very desirable sonic effects such as vibration control...?

It does - it's fairly heavy and dampens resonances. Sonus Faber uses leather clad loudspeaker fronts, for example. Nevertheless, considering the price I find the styling a bit disappointing from the photo - too many differently metallic colured parts for achieving a really classy look, I'd say...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #72 of 98
Go to A-T's website and compare the gold in the W1000 against the close up picture I dropped in this thread. You'll find that the real article is more golden. I'm thinking that the leather will look a whole lot nicer in the flesh.

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #73 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Go to A-T's website and compare the gold in the W1000 against the close up picture I dropped in this thread. You'll find that the real article is more golden. I'm thinking that the leather will look a whole lot nicer in the flesh.

I would assume so too!

Black or much brighter tan leather would have been ssseexxier...

[edit] changed ssseexxyyy to ssseexxier

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:44 PM Post #74 of 98
Quote:

Sonus Faber uses leather clad loudspeaker fronts, for example.

God, those speakers are so gorgeous, especially in person!
smily_headphones1.gif
I defy anyone to look at them and *not* want to touch the leather fronts.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #75 of 98
It is a good marketing idea, think of the spin offs, they could have the rocker version with black leather and spikes, the biker version (black leather, no spikes), fetish model (black leather, straps over your head), the mind warbles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back