New top-of-the-line Audio Technica headphone: ATH-L3000, made from leather?!
Oct 20, 2003 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Tomcat

1000+ Head-Fier
This is the link to the Japanese website dedicated to this year's new top of the line headphone from AT, the ATH-L3000:
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/...00/index.html#I don't speak Japanese and Babelfish hasn't been very helpful, but my impression is that this headphone has enclosures made from expensive British Connolly leather, usually to be seen only in luxury motor cars? I am sure Japanese-speaking Head-Fiers will help us.

Please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 98
Tomcat, when I read your post my initial thought was that this would be one ugly headphone but clicking on the link and seeing it for myself I have to say it looks damn sexy. Anyone have an idea of how much these will cost?

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 98
Asada refers to the Asada cherry tree, the wood responsible for all the W series, including the L3000 (under the leather).

They claim better bass response than the W2002, plus a slightly boosted high frequency response for better separation (and presumably soundstaging).

That sounds pretty good, I must say. Those two things are in my view the key points of the W2002 that I felt was slightly lacking.

Also, 500 units will be made. Estimated price once again is 200,000 yen, which is about $1800. In terms of looks, I'm not wholly sure about that... I hope it looks and feels better than it does in the photos.

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
Asada refers to the Asada cherry tree, the wood responsible for all the W series, including the L3000 (under the leather).

ahhh.... I thought it was an abbrevation cause it was in caps

Quote:

Also, 500 units will be made. Estimated price once again is 200,000 yen, which is about $1800.

eek.gif
it better be good

Quote:

In terms of looks, I'm not wholly sure about that... I hope it looks and feels better than it does in the photos.

maybe it looks better in real life... but.... form the pictures I prefer the "unleathered" woodies along with the 100ti

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 98
So, the leather is just a cover for the wooden enclosure. Okay.

I guess the graph on the specs website refers to efficiency vs.frequency. I don't think they claim to have changed the frequency response, they say that they have improved low level resolution at certain frequencies (if my Babelfish interpretation is correct).

Oct 20, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 98
Not that bad, it is not leather only cups. After some Babelfishing I got this, it was a little complicated because the browser didn't show Japaneese characters automatically.

Type: Dynamic (airtight = closed?)
Driver: 53 mmm with neodynium magnet, 8N OFC copper in voice coil
Cups: Hokkaido cherry wood covered on outside with semi-analin leather
Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW
Frequency respons: 5 - 45,000 Hz
Max input: 2000 mW
Impedance: 48 ohm
D.A.D. bass enclosue design

Frequency response is nearly exactly as W2002 above 100 Hz and with a boost of 1 - 3 dB below 100 Hz.

A step ut from W2002 ?

Edit: Cable is with outer jacket of silk and silverplated Hi-OFC copper wire. Not Sennheiser wire!

Oct 20, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 98
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Man, I'd love to hear one. IMO, it's always a cool thing when a manufacturer comes out with a new statement set of cans. The price alone suggests its an attempt to be in the company of the Stax's and R10s of the world. It isn't very often we get a new contender. Big news, IMO!
smily_headphones1.gif

A few observations/questions:

I wonder what the effect of the leather on the earcups is sonically? I wonder if this is to increase isolation? (Or is it just a cynical attempt to make it look "rich"?)

I also bet it comes with a silly fancy leather case, and that must be a big part of the extra expense. Am I the only one who doesn't give two hoots about the box my cans come in?
confused.gif

The frame looks the same as the W2002, which means it's none too sturdy for such an expensive phone. It would be nice if they made the assembly out of thicker, stronger material. I often wondered about the long-term durability of the W2002 I had, especially at the place where the earcup assembly meets the top of the assembly and it pivots/twists. Not the strongest joint ever.

The enclosure shape also looks the same, they don't seem any larger than the other ATs. I wonder where the real differences lie vs. the W2002? I wonder if this is a whole new phone or just a "leatherized" W2002?

Mark

Oct 20, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 98
Why cover up the usualy beautiful wood that at puts on thier phones?

It looks like a Freakin catchers mitt.

k.s.

There mr. moderator! happy now!?
Take all the bite out of my statement
mad.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
LOL. and it would be a cleaning nightmare...dirty paws need to be kept away from those leather 'fones.
tongue.gif

You mean you don't wash your hands before touching your CDs, opening them up, and looking at the inserts and stuff?
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 98
I love to see there are new headphone release!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Who want to be the first person to review it!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, looks like A-T will release new limited headphone every year?!?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back