New top-of-the-line Audio Technica headphone: ATH-L3000, made from leather?!
Oct 21, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #46 of 98
Wow ! Just in time for the release of the remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ! Leather cans for Leatherface !

[size=xx-small]And they're closed to keep out all that distracting screaming...[/size]
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #47 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by markl

There's a price/performance curve in audio and a point of diminishing returns; audiophiles spend a lot of $$ endlessly chasing those incremental differences, they live for them.

Mark

yah... but usually your are paying for sound quality, not leather.

Oct 21, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #48 of 98
Quote:

yah... but usually your are paying for sound quality, not leather.

raif, you are assuming they sound bad. Obviously, no one knows yet how good/bad it might be, they aren't available yet. For all we know, they may be the best headphones ever made; then again, they may be the W2002 with leather on the earpieces.
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #49 of 98
My comment wasn't supposed to imply their sound quality either way, I was just saying that expensive leather doesn't seem to add anything but aesthetic value. Whatever they sound like, the addition of leather is bound to increase the price, and i would rather that price go towards improved sound quality then "baseball mitt" appeal.

I could be wrong though, maybe leather adds to resonance or something, but I am sure that at least a couple hundred of those dollars are going to the leather addition.

I don't know if anyone else is a comic book geek, but this reminds me of the whole foil embossed, holographic cover fad of the mid-90s.

Oct 21, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #50 of 98
I think I'm going to have to go with bangraman here and say that I'll wait to see what they put out next. In the meantime, the W11JPN hunt continues (might have to see if I can snag them off Y!J).

The leather is nice...but lacquer is much sexier. The upper headband does at least look classier.

Oct 21, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #51 of 98
the leather doesn't do it for me. The wood made them look classy. And seriously, what does being a baseball fan have anything to do with stitched leather headphones? That actually sounds kind of funny.

I don't care how they look if they sound great. The fancy look actually makes them more delicate, when i had my w1000s for the short period (2 weeks) i was constantly all worried about scratching the wood. Plastic/metal doesn't bother me so much, it actually is alot more durable.

Oct 21, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #52 of 98
Uhhh, because baseball mits are stiched together pieces of leather. They remind me of baseball gloves, plain and simple. They also remind me of this battle shield I saw once. I think they look completely awesome!!! Great idea for a new style. Although I think Audio Technica should stay away from the pleather or leather pads and go to the style of the Senn pads.

Oct 21, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #54 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by mjg
the leather doesn't do it for me. The wood made them look classy. And seriously, what does being a baseball fan have anything to do with stitched leather headphones? That actually sounds kind of funny.

I know it sounds funny, but then again that's just how I felt. I saw the cans and they instantly reminded me of a baseball glove or ball, which sets off some kind of strange chemical thingy in my brain making me like how they look. I can't explain it, I can only state it.

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:12 AM Post #57 of 98
Leather and headphones....just don't mix, okay? I think it looks really bad.

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #58 of 98
I think I mentioned everything that was worth noting from that site since there aren't that many details.... It's not my fault that my posts gets lost in the forest of babelfishers? So you do want a full translation?

Type: Closed Dynamic
Driver: 53mm Neodynium magnet, 8N-OFC bobbin wind voice coil with Permendur as part of the driver construction (hard to work metal with high magnetic density... I believe the W2002 was similarly featured too)
Housing: Hokkaido Asada Cherry tree, Semi-Anilin leather
Output level: 104db/mw
Response: 5-45000khz
Maximum input: 2000mw
Impedance: 48 ohms
Weight: 380g
Plug: 6.5mm gold plated stereo plug
Cord / Sheath characteristics: 100% Silk (sheath) / Silver +Hi-OFC 4-conductor cable, 3m
Replacement earpads: HP-L3000
Extras: Pouch

3-4db response increase at 20hz due to improved DADS and driver unit. A more 'real' bass.
2-5db increase at 3kh-20khz range, leading to better separation and extension.

Oct 21, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #59 of 98
Thanks, bangraman!

I thought there might be some more information buried in the text concerning the efficiency graph: Quote:

Low with the limits and medium high pass, it achieves further dramatic evolution - The D.A.D.S structure which has adopted to continue to the wonderful efficiency rise previous production model ATH-W2002 and the like in the limits low (PAT.P.) With maturing the Æ driver unit, with the 20Hz 3? It achieves the efficiency rise of the 4dB. The silent expression which because of this, sound and real it has depth to everywhere is approached with material feeling actualized. - Further expression power rise 3kHz of medium high pass? In the most all of the 20kHz, the 2dB? Efficiency rise of the 5dB was assured. Because of this, improvement of further separation, being more charming than until now, the expression which has the extension has become possible.

Improvement of further seperation being more charming than until now? Are they really talking about soundstage separation? I am especially curious what this sentence means when it is unbabelfished: Quote:

The silent expression which because of this, sound and real it has depth to everywhere is approached with material feeling actualized.

If there really was material feeling actualized, I might even become a fan of Connolly leather.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back