New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,717 of 9,409
I grew tired of waiting and called bs on this one so I sold my SP1k long time ago. Glad you guys are enjoying roon!

I hope ak can implement roon on the se200 and the kann cube (both much more to my liking sound-wise) soon and in a more transparent way

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #8,718 of 9,409
The idea of Roon is to be your central point to consume your library/online streaming (qobuz/tidal) music.

Roon certified end-points are used to just PLAY your stuff. That's it. Navigation is done via Roon remote control apps (ipad/android/desktop). Which might at some point be usable for SP1k as well. However, this would not necessarily change the experience on this device. Since this remains limited by the small screen SP1k provides. Which is in the nature of it being a mobile device.

In the past, you put a CD in your CD player and enjoyed listening to it. You might have read through CD booklets or scanned your CD rack for the next peace of music you'd like to play. And with Roon this is done virtual. You assign an album to the player (SP1k), you might read the information provided by Roon concerning this album (incl. song text) or you might look for the next piece of music. And if you would use a tablet, you would be able to enjoy lots of screen space while doing so. Additionally, given the online nature of Roon, you will also get tons of complementary information, far beyond those provided by CD booklets only. Information about artist, album, collaborations, similar artists, cross links, links to internet information, etc. etc. etc. All across your own and available online libraries. And all in a single place.

And this is what makes me enjoy Roon. Plus, with a separate, larger tablet remote app this experience gets even better, since the larger screen a) serves me well with my eyes getting weaker year by year and b) provides way better efficiency to control my stuff (less scrolling, more visible the same time, etc.).

BTW: If you make your library available to Roon, you would be able to navigate it too.
Don't forget all the DSP options, parametric, convolution, crossfeed, etc, all done at the core and preserving MQA.

Thanks guys for your replies. It definitely seems that Roon offers a lot in some specific scenarios and it's great that you guys are enjoying it and that you can finally add the SP1000 to your Roon devices. In the end, it is simply up to how you listen to your music. I dropped streaming services a while ago for a number of reasons that go beyond the topic of this threat, and, as I said, I have all my music on my A&K (backed up on an SSD). I either listen to the A&K or I connect it to the only pair of good speakers I have at home - i.e. no need for the multi-room stuff that some might enjoy. Also, all the artist/album information is available online, and I can do without a catchy interface.

Thus, I still think Roon is useless for my specific mode of listening, and I wouldn't use it even if it were free. I have issues also with the energy waste of having a central core streaming my music to my devices, but that's another OT :wink:

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #8,720 of 9,409
I use my SP1000 mostly asleep (ha ha that sounds weird). Mostly playing in bed from the Nas. Did someone already check whether the new firmware version plays gappless?
Either in Roon mode or AK connect?
Yesterday I switched off, during playing music from SP1000 memory. The player did a Reboot instead of shutdown.
Firmware bug? It didn't check today, it was the first switch off after the update.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #8,721 of 9,409
20210320_165107.jpg
20210320_201713.jpg
20210320_163558.jpg
20210315_174157.jpg

This way I paid licence NeutronMp for SP1k.
AutoEq is so serious!!!

Hope to see it comes in whitelist some day @JasonNYC.
It is safety to be added.

Mar 22, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #8,722 of 9,409
Wow! Finally! Count me among those who have been waiting for an eternity for Roon support. I have been using Roon on a Hiby R6 Pro, but now it looks like I'll be retiring that soon.

I think this is completely pointless. Why listen to audio via the SPk1 that is stored on a server? If I want to listen to my SP1k then I will use the SP1k. Am I missing something here?

As others have commented, Roon is an incredibly powerful and scalable music library manager. If you don't use streaming services and can fit your whole music library on an internal SD card then you might not reap most of the benefits of Roon, but there are still a few.

One of Roon's killer features for me on a DAP is Roon Radio--a Pandora-like shuffle / random play that chooses songs for you based on its own algorithms that are, frankly, pretty darned good. If you do integrate streaming services, Roon Radio will pick tracks from your local music and streaming services, so you get a continuous playback of music from any and all of those sources. Likewise, you can build your own playlists in Roon that encompass local files and streamed content. I've got over 1TB of local files alone, so A&K's Roon integration now means I can trim out some odds and ends from internal storage and still get at deep tracks through my network.

Another killer feature is the ability to control what's streaming from any computer, phone, or tablet on your local network. Even if your only endpoint were an SP1/2000, the extra screen real estate of a computer is a huge plus for navigating, searching, etc.

Roon's metadata management goes deep and everything is hyperlinked. When I first got Roon, I pulled up credits for a 2-disc compilation album--there were maybe 200 unique attributions to explore. On a whim, I clicked on the link for "Photographer" and found 7 other albums in my collection with the same person! Point is, chasing threads through a music collection has never been easier.

I could go on and on; the more time you spend with Roon the more you uncover little pet features that work with the way you want to listen. And if you do expand your home listening to multiple endpoints, Roon quickly pays for itself. I have multiple headphone stations (my work desk, my wife's headphone rig, 2 endpoints feeding different DACs in my 2-channel system, and a RopieeeXL station in the guest bedroom. You can transfer streams between any endpoints, so at the end of my workday I can move whatever I'm listening to from headphones to speakers with any remote. Just this past weekend I had a friend over auditioning headphones, and I gave him a tablet to pick tracks and used my laptop to add my own selections to his playlist. It's fun having people over and letting everyone treat the stereo like a jukebox by picking tracks from their own devices.

At first I thought the SP1k could be used as a core, now that would be very useful but as an endpoint only....useless.

Honestly, SP1K as a Core doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The Core needs to be on all the time or nothing can play. It needs enough processing power to manage (potentially lots of) streams and crunch the metadata database for your library. A battery-powered device with a mobile processor isn't an ideal device for that role.

As an endpoint, though, I can plug in my MEST, throw on an eye pillow, and tell Roon to take me on a journey. Far from useless.

I have issues also with the energy waste of having a central core streaming my music to my devices, but that's another OT :wink:

The central Core architecture actually makes loads of sense and allows Roon to ensure stream quality via the RAAT protocol. It's a much more elegant solution than, say, DLNA for pushing music over a home network. It also enables cool features when you have multiple streams running--you can tie endpoints together for whole house music or transfer streams from one endpoint to another. Those sorts of features wouldn't be practical without a central point of control. They're worth a few watts powering a NUC / R.O.C.K. core. :)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #8,723 of 9,409
One more thing I can do now with Roon on my Astell & Kern player:
1616459197235.png

Above is a weatherproof Roon Core that I took camping. There is no upstream network; inside the box is a NUC and a Ubiquiti router connected to a mesh antenna, giving me about 500' of range. While I'm limited to music I packed onto the internal SSD of the Core, Roon's multiple streaming capabilities mean that I can do cool stuff like link my SP1K to another endpoint (say, a tablet feeding Bluetooth speakers) back at camp and go wander while still enjoying the same tracks as the folks back at home base. Mad science is best science.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #8,724 of 9,409
One more thing I can do now with Roon on my Astell & Kern player:
1616459197235.png

Above is a weatherproof Roon Core that I took camping. There is no upstream network; inside the box is a NUC and a Ubiquiti router connected to a mesh antenna, giving me about 500' of range. While I'm limited to music I packed onto the internal SSD of the Core, Roon's multiple streaming capabilities mean that I can do cool stuff like link my SP1K to another endpoint (say, a tablet feeding Bluetooth speakers) back at camp and go wander while still enjoying the same tracks as the folks back at home base. Mad science is best science.
Impressive!

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #8,725 of 9,409
New firmware update available today for the SP1000M.

V.1.53
- Added option to save favorite tracks
- Added bookmark feature in folder view
- Added AK Connect Speaker selection on the Home screen
- Added year/name sorting capabilities in the Artist-album menu
- Added option-specific search function in search:frowning2:MQS, DSD, Album, Artist)
- Added resume function
- Added ability to change listed order of playlists
- Added option to select DAC Filter
- Added option to select video streaming or music-only streaming in V-LINK app
- Operational stability improvements

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 23, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #8,726 of 9,409
New firmware update available today for the SP1000M.

V.1.53
- Added option to save favorite tracks
- Added bookmark feature in folder view
- Added AK Connect Speaker selection on the Home screen
- Added year/name sorting capabilities in the Artist-album menu
- Added option-specific search function in search:frowning2:MQS, DSD, Album, Artist)
- Added resume function
- Added ability to change listed order of playlists
- Added option to select DAC Filter
- Added option to select video streaming or music-only streaming in V-LINK app
- Operational stability improvements

No Roon? :sob:

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #8,729 of 9,409
I already have bulging battery after two years. Device is opened like canned food.
You have to get that fixed! Surprisingly inexpensive through AK...It was $60 here in the US and they shipped it back to me. You do have to ship it to AK though...

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #8,730 of 9,409
Wow! Finally! Count me among those who have been waiting for an eternity for Roon support. I have been using Roon on a Hiby R6 Pro, but now it looks like I'll be retiring that soon.

As others have commented, Roon is an incredibly powerful and scalable music library manager. If you don't use streaming services and can fit your whole music library on an internal SD card then you might not reap most of the benefits of Roon, but there are still a few.

One of Roon's killer features for me on a DAP is Roon Radio--a Pandora-like shuffle / random play that chooses songs for you based on its own algorithms that are, frankly, pretty darned good. If you do integrate streaming services, Roon Radio will pick tracks from your local music and streaming services, so you get a continuous playback of music from any and all of those sources. Likewise, you can build your own playlists in Roon that encompass local files and streamed content. I've got over 1TB of local files alone, so A&K's Roon integration now means I can trim out some odds and ends from internal storage and still get at deep tracks through my network.

Another killer feature is the ability to control what's streaming from any computer, phone, or tablet on your local network. Even if your only endpoint were an SP1/2000, the extra screen real estate of a computer is a huge plus for navigating, searching, etc.

Roon's metadata management goes deep and everything is hyperlinked. When I first got Roon, I pulled up credits for a 2-disc compilation album--there were maybe 200 unique attributions to explore. On a whim, I clicked on the link for "Photographer" and found 7 other albums in my collection with the same person! Point is, chasing threads through a music collection has never been easier.

I could go on and on; the more time you spend with Roon the more you uncover little pet features that work with the way you want to listen. And if you do expand your home listening to multiple endpoints, Roon quickly pays for itself. I have multiple headphone stations (my work desk, my wife's headphone rig, 2 endpoints feeding different DACs in my 2-channel system, and a RopieeeXL station in the guest bedroom. You can transfer streams between any endpoints, so at the end of my workday I can move whatever I'm listening to from headphones to speakers with any remote. Just this past weekend I had a friend over auditioning headphones, and I gave him a tablet to pick tracks and used my laptop to add my own selections to his playlist. It's fun having people over and letting everyone treat the stereo like a jukebox by picking tracks from their own devices.

Honestly, SP1K as a Core doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The Core needs to be on all the time or nothing can play. It needs enough processing power to manage (potentially lots of) streams and crunch the metadata database for your library. A battery-powered device with a mobile processor isn't an ideal device for that role.

As an endpoint, though, I can plug in my MEST, throw on an eye pillow, and tell Roon to take me on a journey. Far from useless.

The central Core architecture actually makes loads of sense and allows Roon to ensure stream quality via the RAAT protocol. It's a much more elegant solution than, say, DLNA for pushing music over a home network. It also enables cool features when you have multiple streams running--you can tie endpoints together for whole house music or transfer streams from one endpoint to another. Those sorts of features wouldn't be practical without a central point of control. They're worth a few watts powering a NUC / R.O.C.K. core. :)

Thanks for this, maybe I just haven't grasped the full benefits of Roon as I havent used it. But what I'm sensing is that basically it just allows you to navigate your SP1K from another device such as an iPad or computer, and to me this is pointless as if I have to use the SP1K as an endpoint then i'd use the SP1K!

OR: could I then use the line out of the SP1K and into another amp which controls speakers throughout my home? Without loss of quality? If so, then that would be very useful as I could control all the music via the iPad if the GUI is great. Can this be done?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back