New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #6,078 of 9,406
@JasonNYC is there an chance that we will ever see a dock for the sp1000? I ended up bringing back my hugo2 and mscaler as the hugo2 and sp1000 are just too close in quality to justify having both (if only the mscaler could work with the sp1000). I am now using the sp1000 with my 2 channel setup and maybe I am wrong but would the sound quality improve with a dock like the ak380 had? If a dock is not I the cards I might need to start looking for a desk top solution.

Thanks

There are no docs available but you can definitively use the A&K PEF21 analog balanced cable to connect the SP1000 with an Amp. Before I purchased my Uber DAC, I used this cable to connect direct my SP1000 with my BHSE with good results.

This cable is discontinued now but, If you are interested let me know, I still have one PEF21cable.

IMG_4887.jpg IMG_4888.jpg
PEF21.png SP1000-BHSE-Stax.jpg SP1000-BHSE back.jpg

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #6,080 of 9,406
Hehe, I actually preordered that one. I was talking about the leather one with the belt holster thing.

I think the only way is to buy it directly. They do not ship internationally, so you need to use a forwarding service.

For what it's worth it sounds like they are behind on production... there was a one month wait when I ordered mine.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #6,081 of 9,406
This is probably a dumb question but here goes:

If for me to volume match between SE and balanced outputs requires my SE to be around 65 and balanced around 55, does that mean that balanced on 55 (since it is at a “lower” volume) is giving me better battery life, or is that not how this works?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #6,083 of 9,406
+1 on that

This is wonderful.

As a guitar player, we have the same bollocks about tonewoods (actually does make a difference in the same way as SS and Cu are different - for guitars it would be mahogany vs ash, for example) and paint (obviously zero difference).

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #6,084 of 9,406
Hehe, I actually preordered that one. I was talking about the leather one with the belt holster thing.
Buyee/Tenso in Japan is the way. It's a wonderful case but this is how you can do it- unless you want to spend a bunch more $$$$ and buy it off eBay (and it will still be about a month+ to get it- check the shipping info).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VanNuys-Ve...830149&hash=item441b6fcb63:g:eN8AAOSwSK1a~7WT..

As to a wait, I had to wait a month for an iPhone belt holster recently, and when I ordered my leather SP1000 holster it was the same.

Here: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/shopping/vannuyswebshop_VD734-STRD

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #6,086 of 9,406
I'm actually taking the A&K SP1000(M) into serious consideration now. Knowing their yearly black friday offers.

If any of you guys have tried it with the Legend X using a balanced cable, let me know. I really want to know how the tonality and signature is compared to a Gen 1 X7 with an AM3A amp. I am thinking of waiting for a device with Sabre 9038 Pro, since that is what I'm used to. Though, I don't have a frame of reference to compare to the AK Sound chips.

Might do a review on what I currently have, IDK.

May 3, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #6,087 of 9,406
I'm actually taking the A&K SP1000(M) into serious consideration now. Knowing their yearly black friday offers.

If any of you guys have tried it with the Legend X using a balanced cable, let me know. I really want to know how the tonality and signature is compared to a Gen 1 X7 with an AM3A amp. I am thinking of waiting for a device with Sabre 9038 Pro, since that is what I'm used to. Though, I don't have a frame of reference to compare to the AK Sound chips.

I had the LX with SP1000/M (sold them both, though) but single ended only, which was good enough for me. ES9038PRO will not have an advantage over ES9028PRO in a DAP, so you can also consider other DAPs. Sound of course depends on the implementation, but with these two DACs currently there is SE100, iBasso DX220, and upcoming KANN Cube. I am also expecting a FiiO DAP soon (replacing the X7II) with one/two of these DACs.

May 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #6,088 of 9,406
I had the LX with SP1000/M (sold them both, though) but single ended only, which was good enough for me. ES9038PRO will not have an advantage over ES9028PRO in a DAP, so you can also consider other DAPs. Sound of course depends on the implementation, but with these two DACs currently there is SE100, iBasso DX220, and upcoming KANN Cube. I am also expecting a FiiO DAP soon (replacing the X7II) with one/two of these DACs.

Nice! You seem to have knowledge in DAPs I'm interested in as well, which one has the cleanest sound, in your opinion? Why did you sell your A&K?

May 3, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6,089 of 9,406

Don't know the X7, et. al., but I listened to the Legend X on my 1000M on a balanced cable at Canjam NYC, and it was the best thing I heard at the show, it was phenomenal. IMHO. I really loved the bass especially

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6,090 of 9,406
Nice! You seem to have knowledge in DAPs I'm interested in as well, which one has the cleanest sound, in your opinion? Why did you sell your A&K?

I just know they exist :) and just tested SE100 and liked the SP1000M more. I sold it as I wanted to have wireless DAC mode. I wish to check the DX220 and the Cube as next. DX220 is already out and it got good praises. I read somewhere that SE100 is clearer than Cube. SP1000M has excellent sound otherwise and is very portable. There also praises for DX220, it is cheaper (half the price of SP1000M). But as said, I didn't really try them all. I am sure there are much more experienced people here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back