New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 27, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #6,061 of 9,406
No1. How about embeded tidal ?
No4. How do you know it doesnt(full unfold) because when spkm work as a dac, there's no sample rate display on its scr.
Thanks

1. The embedded Tidal App hasn’t updated itself yet... still working on that...

2. In Audirvana, both the input and output bit rate is shown in the software user interface.

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #6,062 of 9,406
Hi All

I'm new to posting on this forum. Iv been listening to my AK380 for around 18 month now. I purchased the unit second hand. Iv been really happy with the sound of the AK380.

The release of the SP models with tidal offline mode made me pull the trigger last week on a new SP1000m. My new Sp1000m arrived this week and having both units side by side iv been comparing the sound using my Shure 846 and HD660. On pretty much every track the AK380 sounds more full and warmer. The base is thicker and generally the sound is much nicer to my ears. The SP1000m sound thin with less bass.

Could this be down to the Sp1000m having no burn in or is the AK380 a better sounding DAP?

Im tempted to return it and keep my AK380 or upgrade to SP1000 CU. Anyone else compared these two players?

I never sell my AK380 because this, the sound signature is just different...

My AK380 never reach the warm tone of my AK240SS as well.
...Then the A&Ultima SP1000ss and SP1000M never reach the warm tone of my AK380, but the newcomers are better in soundstage and detail.
Maybe the new AK players tend to a more neutral sound in his sound evolution...

By the way, the SP1000cu is more near to the warm tones, and keep more of this precious warmness of the previous AK DAPs

Apr 27, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #6,063 of 9,406
The A&Ultima SP1000cu is out of production or discontinued??
It’s difficult to buy from the official Korean page....:confused::confused:

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #6,064 of 9,406
Do SP1000ss and SP1000cu sound different? the internals are exactly the same. Why would they sound different?

Apr 27, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #6,065 of 9,406
Do SP1000ss and SP1000cu sound different? the internals are exactly the same. Why would they sound different?
They sound different for sure, ss is more about the instrument and many of my friends like it for the pop, for vocals and some bass, then the cu. The body materials used for the Machine is different and so affects it. Ask the people who owned ak380 copper version.

Also heard that they are discontinuing the copper version, reason why you cannot buy the cu, ss and black onyx is still available.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #6,066 of 9,406
I never sell my AK380 because this, the sound signature is just different...

My AK380 never reach the warm tone of my AK240SS as well.
...Then the A&Ultima SP1000ss and SP1000M never reach the warm tone of my AK380, but the newcomers are better in soundstage and detail.
Maybe the new AK players tend to a more neutral sound in his sound evolution...

By the way, the SP1000cu is more near to the warm tones, and keep more of this precious warmness of the previous AK DAPs
I think the copper is perfect. I hope to have one some day...

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #6,067 of 9,406
Also heard that they are discontinuing the copper version, reason why you cannot buy the cu, ss and black onyx is still available.

SP2000 on it’s way ? :blush:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #6,068 of 9,406

I don’t know the science behind how it works in terms of the casing, but having A/B’d the SS and Cu, the latter is definitely warmer and the SS is more crisp / neutral.
It reminded me of copper (warm) versus silver (trebly, bright) cable.

As usual, it all came down to pairing, so I got the SS and use it with a copper cable. Suits my sound sig preferences.

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #6,070 of 9,406
I use the 3m tape on the case not the naked back because the back is not the most secure I have come across. Works fine apart from discolouring the case a little but I do not mind that.

I attach to the back. It lose, but didnt fly out.
I guess it is a screw assembly, not glued as other that we can find in smartphones.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #6,071 of 9,406
Hey guys, I figured maybe the crashing is just from my SD card so I wanted to ask what would be the best sequence of steps to completely reset the device. I know the exact order may not matter, but I just want to make sure I do it right:

Would you recommend a complete reset, and then format the card in the device? or the other way around?

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #6,072 of 9,406
Hey guys, I figured maybe the crashing is just from my SD card so I wanted to ask what would be the best sequence of steps to completely reset the device. I know the exact order may not matter, but I just want to make sure I do it right:

Would you recommend a complete reset, and then format the card in the device? or the other way around?
Try reformatting the card first from within the players operating system.

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #6,073 of 9,406
Reformatted the SDcard in the device, and i'm still getting random crashes. I wonder what could be causing it.

Update: It's weird, it's like it crashes whenever anything involving Wifi happens- Shortly after "AK connect enabled" or when my wifi password finally works.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #6,074 of 9,406
Have you tried it without SD card. To double check, whether WIFI is the root cause for your problems? Just give it an extensive test. Walk around at your place. It could very well be WIFI - in principle - I have observed some weird behavior of some of my devices in a spot in my house, which was related to WIFI.

If WIFI tests are OK, check with your SD card, without WIFI. Format it in your A&K device, but load files directly from your laptop/PC via SD card reader. I stopped using the A&K for file transfers, since my SPK frequently gets weird if I do it that way.

If both tests are OK check with both, your SD card AND WIFI ON.

Curious to hear what happens during these tests :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6,075 of 9,406
@JasonNYC is there an chance that we will ever see a dock for the sp1000? I ended up bringing back my hugo2 and mscaler as the hugo2 and sp1000 are just too close in quality to justify having both (if only the mscaler could work with the sp1000). I am now using the sp1000 with my 2 channel setup and maybe I am wrong but would the sound quality improve with a dock like the ak380 had? If a dock is not I the cards I might need to start looking for a desk top solution.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back