New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #2,746 of 9,409
I got my Labkable Pandora cable, to connect my SP1000 to my KSE1500. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, it's definitely quite a noticeable upgrade from what I was using previously (a three-strand silver cable of unknown brand). Adds a little more warmth/thickness, which is exactly what I was hoping for, maybe a touch more width to the soundstage, bass is certainly more present (in a good way). Just a better sound overall. I haven't tried any other high-quality jumper cables, so I don't have much to compare it to in relative terms. But in absolute terms it was well worth the price.

I went for 11cm, which I think is a good length (especially as I like to have my KSE amp centered in the back of the SP1000, rather than aligned at the top or bottom).

So bmichels, thanks again for the recommendation!!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,747 of 9,409
I got my Labkable Pandora cable, to connect my SP1000 to my KSE1500. I can wholeheartedly recommend it, it's definitely quite a noticeable upgrade from what I was using previously (a three-strand silver cable of unknown brand). Adds a little more warmth/thickness, which is exactly what I was hoping for, maybe a touch more width to the soundstage. Just a better sound overall. I haven't tried any other high-quality jumper cables, so I don't have much to compare it to in relative terms. But in absolute terms it was well worth the price.

I went for 11cm, which I think is a good length (especially as I like to have my KSE amp centered in the back of the SP1000, rather than aligned at the top or bottom).

So bmichels, thanks again for the recommendation!!

Glad to hear that, I'm too looking for the best cable to pair the SP1000 and the KSE1500, post some pictures!

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,748 of 9,409
In my video review about SP1000 I've mentioned custom case and I've got few questions about it. Recently I've got this case, and made a video to show it

As far as I know, Valentinum is improving SP1000 cases design, as with this one it's a bit complicated to access the top drawer, but for me it's OK, I don't toggle that settings frequently.

I'am familiar with this cases maker, but I've paid for this case, so I suppose it's not breaking Head-Fi rules.
I've selected green real crocodile leather, but there are tons and tons of options.

What an AMAZING piece of leather work you got there Cleg!!! Kudos to your friend for outstanding craftmanship!

And may i also say that 200 dollars for genuine croc leather is excellent value!!! Comparing this and those aesopica cases which cost more; this is by far better!

And green and orange matches! They are complimentary colours which go very well! I am envious!

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #2,749 of 9,409
Glad to hear that, I'm too looking for the best cable to pair the SP1000 and the KSE1500, post some pictures!

So here's what it looks like, with an 11cm cable. I think 11cm is close to ideal if you like lining up the bottom of the two devices and want to avoid any sort of torque/tension on the cable where it connects to the jack. 10cm would also work, but with maybe a bit of tension on the cable (though it would probably be fine regardless). If you like having the KSE amp centered against the SP1000, then I think 10cm is the way to go (and 9cm would work if you want to minimize slack, but again with maybe a little bit of tension on the cable).

I've spent a few more hours listening to it, and I'll mention again that it's made a notable improvement, especially with the mids & adding a little warmth, while still maintaining amazing detail and amazing treble. I don't feel that there's any coloration -- I just hear perfect sound across the frequency range.

In my first few hours with the SP1000 I was actually questioning my purchase a little, because I felt the sound was too thin, especially when it came to vocals. But now that it's burned in, and now that I have the Pandora cable, I'm completely satisfied with the sound I'm getting from this setup.

_DSC5807.jpg
_DSC5798.jpg

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #2,750 of 9,409
Do any of you KSE1500 / SP1000 owners also use Campfire Andromedas with your SP1000??

I use Andromedas with my SP1000 (with SE846 as backup) - I used to use a Chord Mojo with an A&K AK70, but wanted to up my sound quality and move away from stacking

I love the quality and simplicity of the Andromedas with the SP1000.

Has anyone tried the KSE1500 and Andromedas? Is there an increase in sound quality? Is the stack bulk of the KSE1500 worth it?

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #2,751 of 9,409
Do any of you KSE1500 / SP1000 owners also use Campfire Andromedas with your SP1000??

I use Andromedas with my SP1000 (with SE846 as backup) - I used to use a Chord Mojo with an A&K AK70, but wanted to up my sound quality and move away from stacking

Has anyone tried the KSE1500 and Andromedas? Is there an increase in sound quality? Is the stack bulk of the KSE1500 worth it?

Thanks!

KSE1500 and Vega owner here. The KSE1500 are in a completely different league. Vega are fun, but KSE1500 are Reference Class.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2,753 of 9,409

Thanks!

I can't speak to the Andromedas, but yeah, KSE1500 vs. the SE846 or vs. pretty much any other IEM (except for maybe the LCD i4) is apples and oranges, especially in terms of clarity and detail.

I don't find the KSE stack to be too big of a deal, you get used to it... I mean, it's not ideal, but it's for sure worth it for the sound quality.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #2,754 of 9,409
I can't speak to the Andromedas, but yeah, KSE1500 vs. the SE846 or vs. pretty much any other IEM (except for maybe the LCD i4) is apples and oranges, especially in terms of clarity and detail.

I don't find the KSE stack to be too big of a deal, you get used to it... I mean, it's not ideal, but it's for sure worth it for the sound quality.

I never tried the Andromedas but quite few people on this website labelled them as fun, while the KSE1500 has neutral-natural signature with an exceptional dynamic range, bass is full of energy, the mid and treble are reproduced with amazing details.

I use the kSE1500 with the SP1000 mainly in the office, while if I travel I bring one of mine ciems, that are also providing better insulation.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #2,755 of 9,409
YES, 3.5 SE and 2.5 balanced. But less powerful than KANN. ( SP1000 offer: 2,2 v SE and 3,9 v Bal)

You hit the nail on the head here. I've had the SP1000 for about a week now, and though I posted a positive review upon initial impression, I'm now deciding if I want to return it (would be the most expensive thing I've returned, that's for sure. While the sound is great (on the "genteel" side, mind you, in contrast to the Kann "umph") and the imaging and soundstage are wonderful, it simply lacks power to drive demanding headphones. In fact, even my less power-hungry headphones like the Fostex THX-00 Ebony and Hifiman Edition X V2 need the volume meter turned pretty high up. Honestly, right off the bat I was shocked (and I don't use the word often) that this DAP lacks a high/low gain switch. Having a balanced option is great, but even there the volume has to be cranked up. Certainly my Questyle QP1R and even my FiiO X7 MKII have considerably more driving power. This is dissappointing to me from an expectations standpoint. I've read posts about pairing the SP1000 with an amp, but let's get real here; at this premium price, why should you need an add-on??

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,756 of 9,409
Honestly, right off the bat I was shocked (and I don't use the word often) that this DAP lacks a high/low gain switch. Having a balanced option is great, but even there the volume has to be cranked up. Certainly my Questyle QP1R and even my FiiO X7 MKII have considerably more driving power. This is dissappointing to me from an expectations standpoint. I've read posts about pairing the SP1000 with an amp, but let's get real here; at this premium price, why should you need an add-on??

Hi DanDorn,

actually, although not called like this, the SP1000 does have higher power modes which correspond to the voltage setting which you can change in the options. What was your setting? The highest power mode is about 2 V in SE.

Hoping this may help you getting more from your SP1000 ,
bidn

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,757 of 9,409
You hit the nail on the head here. I've had the SP1000 for about a week now, and though I posted a positive review upon initial impression, I'm now deciding if I want to return it (would be the most expensive thing I've returned, that's for sure. While the sound is great (on the "genteel" side, mind you, in contrast to the Kann "umph") and the imaging and soundstage are wonderful, it simply lacks power to drive demanding headphones. In fact, even my less power-hungry headphones like the Fostex THX-00 Ebony and Hifiman Edition X V2 need the volume meter turned pretty high up. Honestly, right off the bat I was shocked (and I don't use the word often) that this DAP lacks a high/low gain switch. Having a balanced option is great, but even there the volume has to be cranked up. Certainly my Questyle QP1R and even my FiiO X7 MKII have considerably more driving power. This is dissappointing to me from an expectations standpoint. I've read posts about pairing the SP1000 with an amp, but let's get real here; at this premium price, why should you need an add-on??

if you are looking for a more powerful player, you should try the ibasso dx200 with the amp3, it's really interesting player and it's definitely more powerful than the sp1000.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,758 of 9,409
Hi DanDorn,

actually, although not called like this, the SP1000 does have higher power modes which correspond to the voltage setting which you can change in the options. What was your setting? The highest power mode is about 2 V in SE.

bidn

The voltage settings apply only when the SP1000 is in line out mode. It does not apply when headphones are plugged in. Please do not try to listen to headphones with line out turned on, you can damage your hearing .

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,759 of 9,409
Hi DanDorn,

bidn

What you´re talking about is line out voltage setting. This is not high gain, bro!!!

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,760 of 9,409
Hi DanDorn,

bidn

I'll look into that, thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back