New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Feb 15, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,761 of 9,411
The voltage settings apply only when the SP1000 is in line out mode. It does not apply when headphones are plugged in. Please do not try to listen to headphones with line out turned on, you can damage your hearing .

Now I see that, thanks.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,762 of 9,411
Feb 15, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,763 of 9,411
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #2,764 of 9,411
Hi, I'm a new member of the forum and I recently bought a SP1000. In Italy it is not long that is available.
Today my set is SP1000 - Moon Silver Dragon - Custom In Ear LZ12 from the LIVEZONE R41 (Italian manufacturer).
The result is very good for me, but we are all looking for improvements. Well, I have read that many have been oriented on the Audio 64 (Tia Fourtè / Ut18) and few on the JH. Opinions on Layla? Advice on some cable?
Thanks for the attention

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2,766 of 9,411
I've decided not to return the SP1000 (after many A-B tests with different headphones/rigs). I may have underestimated the power output a bit. The imaging with the SP1000 is really amazing. Never been much of an IEM guy but I'm looking into some of these suggestions.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,767 of 9,411
Hi, I'm a new member of the forum and I recently bought a SP1000. In Italy it is not long that is available.
Today my set is SP1000 - Moon Silver Dragon - Custom In Ear LZ12 from the LIVEZONE R41 (Italian manufacturer).
The result is very good for me, but we are all looking for improvements. Well, I have read that many have been oriented on the Audio 64 (Tia Fourtè / Ut18) and few on the JH. Opinions on Layla? Advice on some cable?
Thanks for the attention

I would recommend PWaudio and Effect Audio.
Even the entry level Ares ll and the No.5 can provide excellent performances.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,768 of 9,411
Anyone know how/if it's possible to connect the SP1000 as a DAC to an Android tablet without draining the Android tablet's battery?

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #2,769 of 9,411
Hi. I need some guidance. I have JH Laylas CIEM and Focal Utopias. I'd like the DAP to push both of these without strain. I'm trying to decide between the Sony WM1Z and the AUltima sp1000cu. I'm a classical pianist and also play small group jazz with vocalist and bass. When I'm listening (mostly piano classical with and without orchestra, violin solos and small jazz group), I look for accuracy and clarity, but don't want sterility. I currently am using the ALO CV5 coming out of my Mac using Audirvana3+ to my Focal U's and it has wonderful detail and realism. For portable use, I'd like to use a single DAP with the characteristics I've outlined. I can't do a head to head comparison of the Sony and the AK Ultima without putting out a lot of money and then returning one of them. Would anyone here be willing to push me toward the best solution? One day I think I've decided on the Sony and the next I read something and think I should go with the AK Ultima sp100cu. Please help. Thanks so very much for your help.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,770 of 9,411
I can’t comment on the Sony, I haven’t heard it. But I have the SP1000 and use it with both JH Roxannes and Lolas with Silver Dragon balanced cables. I listen to pretty much the same music as you, Jazz & Classical with some Opera thrown in. I love this set up. I came from an ALO and Cypherlabs stack (with iPod). I tried a number of other DAPs but always went back to my big, heavy stack for the best sound. Then I heard the SP1000 at its launch in Munich and knew that was my answer. I pre-ordered it immediately upon return and have lived happily ever after with one of the first wave of units in the US.

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #2,771 of 9,411
Hi. I need some guidance. I have JH Laylas CIEM and Focal Utopias. I'd like the DAP to push both of these without strain. I'm trying to decide between the Sony WM1Z and the AUltima sp1000cu. I'm a classical pianist and also play small group jazz with vocalist and bass. When I'm listening (mostly piano classical with and without orchestra, violin solos and small jazz group), I look for accuracy and clarity, but don't want sterility. I currently am using the ALO CV5 coming out of my Mac using Audirvana3+ to my Focal U's and it has wonderful detail and realism. For portable use, I'd like to use a single DAP with the characteristics I've outlined. I can't do a head to head comparison of the Sony and the AK Ultima without putting out a lot of money and then returning one of them. Would anyone here be willing to push me toward the best solution? One day I think I've decided on the Sony and the next I read something and think I should go with the AK Ultima sp100cu. Please help. Thanks so very much for your help.

Hi LukeW,

For me the SP1000cu ulfills all the requirements you mentioned. I find its sound signature and SQ close to that of the Hugo2 for driving the Utopia (I did some comparative listening). So if the sound of the Hugo 2 is fine for you, you cmay expect the same from the SP1000cu. For me the SP1000cu is definitely not sterile, even when listening the first times out of the box.

Re. driving the Utopia, I never listened to the WM1Z but from what I read I doubt they would allow to take advantage of the cleanness, purity (I mean top SNR) and the detail retrieval of the Utopia whereas the SP1000cu does that quite well. Any of [SP1000cu or Hugo2 or RME ADI 2 Pro] --> Utopia is a super combination for me.

Re. driving the Layla, I think that both DAP are more than enough in all respects. My Layla is quite great but does allow not uncover all the details I can get with the SP1000cu. I assume the WM1Z would not offer any advantage over the SP1000Cu for driving the Layla,

Good luck, wishing you great musical performance and enjoying your music,
bidn

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,772 of 9,411
The time (clock) on my SP1000 always becomes slower after a few days. I would like to ask does this signify any problems? I always turn off the SP1000 when I am not using and I usually keep the device above 40% battery.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,773 of 9,411
Hi everyone
New to this thread so apologies in advance for ignorance. I've purchased a SP1000 and am considering memory (internal) expansion. I see some discussions suggesting a 400 GB card works in player but I thought limit was 256? Any recommendations for card would be welcome.
Thanks

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,774 of 9,411
I realize this is the SP1000 thread, but would you guys sell a DX200 and AK70MKii to get the SP1000? Or is the DX200 close enough to not warrant the extra $$$? I'll be using a Custom Noble Kaiser Encore and also the Shure KSE1500.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,775 of 9,411
Hi everyone
New to this thread so apologies in advance for ignorance. I've purchased a SP1000 and am considering memory (internal) expansion. I see some discussions suggesting a 400 GB card works in player but I thought limit was 256? Any recommendations for card would be welcome.
Thanks
We do now officially support 400GB cards in all of our players. We recommend that you format any card as FAT32 for best results.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back