New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #452 of 9,411
Ok now all this talk about chassis seems a little ridiculous, however, I'm not here to throw any stones. I do, however, want to talk about the EQ. No matter how much I adjust it, it does not seem to make hardly any difference at all. And for this reason, I have decided to return it. For $3,500, I'm sorry, everything should work well. A 20 band EQ should effect the sound more than just a subtle amount. This gives you the ability to add to music that may have areas like bass or mids that are lacking. And to move all the bands and have next to no difference in sound, I'm sorry that takes my ability to adjust for some songs that may be lacking and that is a deal breaker at this price point. Now, can this be fixed with an update? That would be something. Can anyone else comment on the EQ?

I will try the unit with my HD800's tomorrow when my balanced cable arrives, if that makes a difference and I can manipulate the EQ and can hear a significant difference, I will keep it. Perhaps the balanced cable and cans will make a difference.

lol replying to my own reply...but I will say, if the DX200 does not sound as good as the SP1000. EQ or not...I'll buy it right back again...and hope it gets fixed in an update...

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #456 of 9,411
I messed around with the EQ's on my 120ll and 240SS and while I did hear differences after doing so, they were not something I wanted to use and went back to "normal." I like how AK tunes its devices (house sound).

Has anyone here had a 240SS and now has an SP1000SS. I'm curious as to comparison. The CU doesn't interest me based on what I've read, I have old ears and need details and extra upper end more than thicker/warmer mids (personal preference, no need to get excited).

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #457 of 9,411
I messed around with the EQ's on my 120ll and 240SS and while I did hear differences after doing so, they were not something I wanted to use and went back to "normal." I like how AK tunes its devices

Has anyone here had a 240SS and now has an SP1000SS. I'm curious as to comparison. The CU doesn't interest me based on what I've read, I have old ears and need details and extra upper end more than thicker/warmer mids (personal preference, no need to get excited).
How many "House Sounds" AK has cause the AK100 , AK120II and AK240 dont sound the same so each has its own "House Sound". I demoed the 1000 and it sounds very good, better than all the AKs I had and demoed.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #458 of 9,411
lol replying to my own reply...but I will say, if the DX200 does not sound as good as the SP1000. EQ or not...I'll buy it right back again...and hope it gets fixed in an update...
The DX200 sounds sterile to me, so I sold it. It cannot match the LPG and WM1Z for my tastes, so I doubt it matches the SP1000 either.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #459 of 9,411
How many "House Sounds" AK has cause the AK100 , AK120II and AK240 dont sound the same so each has its own "House Sound". I demoed the 1000 and it sounds very good, better than all the AKs I had and demoed.

olddude -I messed around with the EQ's on my 120ll and 240SS and while I did hear differences after doing so, they were not something I wanted to use and went back to "normal." I like how AK tunes its devices (house sound).

So, let me ask you both. Do you think the cost is justified by the sound of the SP1000. I am a little ticked that they did not put a 5Ghz wifi in there, only 2.4Ghz, given streaming and large lossless files would be my only other beef. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #460 of 9,411
So, let me ask you both. Do you think the cost is justified by the sound of the SP1000. I am a little ticked that they did not put a 5Ghz wifi in there, only 2.4Ghz, given streaming and large lossless files would be my only other beef. Let me know your thoughts.
Yikes, it does sound nice. I would be much happier if it was 2K.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #461 of 9,411
I think...

At the DX200's price range, people are usually more prone to talk about what top-line features were included in the overall package.

On the other hand, at the summit of portable-fi, people tend to look at the product and wonder how something so expensive could be missing key features.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #462 of 9,411
I think...

At the DX200's price range, people are usually more prone to talk about what top-line features were included in the overall package.

On the other hand, at the summit of portable-fi, people tend to look at the product and wonder how something so expensive could be missing key features.

I see your point. On paper the specs on the DX200 are very close if not exactly like the SP1000. So then the difference MUST be in quality of sound / component quality / build quality. Or are we paying extra for name and marketing to AK?

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #463 of 9,411
2.4ghz is fine and also has better range, if you download huge files then its benefit of using both the 5gz and 2.ghz concurrent, then it would matter. But for stream music or the occasional firmware update, its more then enough. plus again better range than 5ghz.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #464 of 9,411

A 192/24 track streams at about 10 mbps. Tidal lossless streams at less than 1.5 mbps. That is nowhere close to even a bad 2.4 Ghz router's limit. 2.4 Ghz has better range than 5 so arguably, it's better for music streaming. Unless you have a lot of legacy devices choking your 2.4 Ghz band, you should be fine.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #465 of 9,411
I see where you guys are coming from and streaming is only 1 example. A 5Ghz connection pulls more bits than 2.4Ghz. If I was streaming from my home based NAS and streaming large files, connection could be stronger and transfer data faster with an unthrottled connection. Range is not much of a factor but I would think AK could have added both, its not that big of a change to the hardware/setup. A 500Mbps networked connection to your provider (yes thats alot considering most peeps use 50mbps with their slinky cable company) puts out roughly 500-600Mbps dedicated cabled and approx 125Mbps/streaming WiFi with a 5Ghz connection whereas a 2.4Ghz connection at that speed nets only 35-60Mbps on WiFi. Again, depending upon the layout of your area, range to your router, amount of glass between the router and your device etc... numbers will vary. So I realize its not that much for an update but quality of service and dedicated streaming hi-res flac (100-150mb) files can be problematic even with the range of 2.4Ghz connections. It really depends upon the connection bandwidth and those factors mentioned for a true uninterrupted experience.

Let me add, in the real world you need more oompf if you want to have a great experience....( ya like that phrase lol) I'm comparing this to a nest cam project I did. They stated 1.5mbps is all they take. Real world those suckers were taking between 10-20mbps each! Now with the higher bandwidth you were getting 1080p and a consistent connection. If you had a 50Mbps connection only... eh... your running blurrly in 480 res...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back