New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 19, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #436 of 9,433
Well that is my point - if Chord thought it would make their DACs sound better, I'm sure they would have offered it. IMHO any differences in chassis material would be in the analog domain so FPGA or DS DAC shouldn't matter if the benefits are real. But Sony also went the CU route for their flagship so I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.
Please, let's not dive into this chassis nonsense again, the chassis of a DAP does not play any part in a digitally-produced sound. It's there for electrical grounding and EMI shielding. The difference with an wind instrument where the metal actually transmits vibrations should be obvious.
How hard is it to get that a manufacturer can simply tune the DAP sound differently directly by programming the electronic accordingly ? Audio chipsets have a wide variety of settings/filters after all.

It doesn't make the Cu and SS versions less valuable, since you still have to pay for a more costly chassis, and if you like the sound better, everyone is happy.

As a scientist, I'll be happy to change my mind on the day they actually demonstrate that the chassis can play a sonic role in a DAP (and they have not issued anything to prove it so far, same for Sony).

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #437 of 9,433
Please, let's not dive into this chassis nonsense again, the chassis of a DAP does not play any part in a digitally-produced sound. It's there for electrical grounding and EMI shielding. The difference with an wind instrument where the metal actually transmits vibrations should be obvious.
How hard is it to get that a manufacturer can simply tune the DAP sound differently directly by programming the electronic accordingly ? Audio chipsets have a wide variety of settings/filters after all.

It doesn't make the Cu and SS versions less valuable, since you still have to pay for a more costly chassis, and if you like the sound better, everyone is happy.

As a scientist, I'll be happy to change my mind on the day they actually demonstrate that the chassis can play a sonic role in a DAP (and they have not issued anything to prove it so far, same for Sony).

Well, AK, specifically Alex An himself, stated, during the launch event, that the sonic difference in the two units is purely down to the chasis itself. They, have said in no uncertain terms, that the internals and dac tuning of the two units are identical.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #438 of 9,433
Personally, I am fine with whatever people think about chassis material. At the end of the day, hearing is highly subjective. Perceived sound is different than actual sound. If holding a CU chassis adds to one's perception of warm sound, then who's the say it should or shouldn't. One personal example on the power of perception is this - I use to have my browser open to the left of the screen. While watching a video the browser, I could swear my headphones all of a sudden became unbalanced with the left side sounding louder. I swapped my connectors and still hear louder left side. It's only when I shifted my browser to the middle of my screen that the balanced returned. Now I watch videos full screen. I'm sure for some, this makes no difference, but it did for me.

The last thing I want is irrefutable scientific evidence that chassis material makes no difference - because then I'll need to pay for psychiatric therapy so that my imperfect brain perceives the sound the "right" way LOL.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #439 of 9,433
cu chassis is nothing new as it has been implemented in high-end car audio a long before portable players

9960020.jpg

Attachments

• 1336994452_dct-z1-features.jpg
    1336994452_dct-z1-features.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #441 of 9,433
Ok now all this talk about chassis seems a little ridiculous, however, I'm not here to throw any stones. I do, however, want to talk about the EQ. No matter how much I adjust it, it does not seem to make hardly any difference at all. And for this reason, I have decided to return it. For $3,500, I'm sorry, everything should work well. A 20 band EQ should effect the sound more than just a subtle amount. This gives you the ability to add to music that may have areas like bass or mids that are lacking. And to move all the bands and have next to no difference in sound, I'm sorry that takes my ability to adjust for some songs that may be lacking and that is a deal breaker at this price point. Now, can this be fixed with an update? That would be something. Can anyone else comment on the EQ?

I will try the unit with my HD800's tomorrow when my balanced cable arrives, if that makes a difference and I can manipulate the EQ and can hear a significant difference, I will keep it. Perhaps the balanced cable and cans will make a difference.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #442 of 9,433
How a chassis is designed is important as is the material. You have eddy currents, EMR, EMF, RFI etc. They all impact and how they are dealt with is important and with the small signals that you get in some of these contraptions, it is all the more important so while it may seem like a bunch of hoo-ha, it is these small refinements that get you to the next level if everything else is top notch. But you have to be an engineer that really understands what is going on and how to control it, as much as possible and some times it is a matter of many trials and errors.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #443 of 9,433
How a chassis is designed is important as is the material. You have eddy currents, EMR, EMF, RFI etc. They all impact and how they are dealt with is important and with the small signals that you get in some of these contraptions, it is all the more important so while it may seem like a bunch of hoo-ha, it is these small refinements that get you to the next level if everything else is top notch. But you have to be an engineer that really understands what is going on and how to control it, as much as possible and some times it is a matter of many trials and errors.

Damned .....I thought that this never-ending Cu/Duralium/SS debate was over ! :angry: We debated during Countless number of threads and we agreed that... we cannot agree ! Now can we move forward please ?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #444 of 9,433
Reference EQ, I'm new but just want add few comments, When I received my AK Kann, was also not happy that eq had little effect, asked my dealer he said AK tunes players for best sound so eq has little effect but as it appears player Kann anyway makes some auto adjustments with specific headphones you use.

Additionally after firmware update, eq and adjustments got better, yes slight but using eq, after update works better. If player sounds amazing no big deal to me as long as sq awesome. Not sure how eq on other AK daps
Go easy I am new,

Has anyone compared sq Kann vs sp 1000,
I mention this because I think Kann tunned excellent my 2 cents

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #445 of 9,433
Reference EQ, I'm new but just want add few comments, When I received my AK Kann, was also not happy that eq had little effect, asked my dealer he said AK tunes players for best sound so eq has little effect but as it appears player Kann anyway makes some auto adjustments with specific headphones you use.

Additionally after firmware update, eq and adjustments got better, yes slight but using eq, after update works better. If player sounds amazing no big deal to me as long as sq awesome. Not sure how eq on other AK daps
Go easy I am new,

Has anyone compared sq Kann vs sp 1000,
I mention this because I think Kann tunned excellent my 2 cents

Thank you for your comments on the EQ. The difference is your player, the Kann, is $1,000. My player is $3,500. I understand the players are set and I'll probably never use the EQ and if I had the Kann I'd probably be fine with that no worries. It just really bothers me that they will not comment on the EQ setup for their players. Ugh... I'm about ready to purchase an iBasso DX200, reviews on that thing are amazing, specs are similar to my $3,500 rig.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #446 of 9,433
Ok now all this talk about chassis seems a little ridiculous, however, I'm not here to throw any stones. I do, however, want to talk about the EQ. No matter how much I adjust it, it does not seem to make hardly any difference at all. And for this reason, I have decided to return it. For $3,500, I'm sorry, everything should work well. A 20 band EQ should effect the sound more than just a subtle amount. This gives you the ability to add to music that may have areas like bass or mids that are lacking. And to move all the bands and have next to no difference in sound, I'm sorry that takes my ability to adjust for some songs that may be lacking and that is a deal breaker at this price point. Now, can this be fixed with an update? That would be something. Can anyone else comment on the EQ?

I will try the unit with my HD800's tomorrow when my balanced cable arrives, if that makes a difference and I can manipulate the EQ and can hear a significant difference, I will keep it. Perhaps the balanced cable and cans will make a difference.
AK240 EQ was useless and the 120II EQ I wouldnt use it cause it made the music sound bad.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #447 of 9,433
Sounds like AK focuses on AK players sounding as close to possibly on original sound recording no adjustment needed, I agree be nice if eq was more robust, if set easy to turn or reset back, but if sq is awesome from onset no deal breaker for me,

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #448 of 9,433
Sounds like AK focuses on AK players sounding as close to possibly on original sound recording no adjustment needed, I agree be nice if eq was more robust, if set easy to turn or reset back, but if sq is awesome from onset no deal breaker for me,
Agree for Vocal style music or Classical but not for the rest of the music out there. But then every AK player sounds different from the other.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #449 of 9,433
I've always found the idea of using EQ settings in a player a contradictory position. If you need to eq the player, then clearly the sound signature isnt the sound you want, which begs the question of why you bought that player to begin with.

If th music has bass that are subdued, then it was meant to be subdued to begin with. Leave it alone unadulterated and don't change it. That's like going for steak and then dowsing the entire meat in sauce. However, If that is your goal, I agree that a more affordable piece of player suits your taste.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #450 of 9,433
AK240 EQ was useless and the 120II EQ I wouldnt use it cause it made the music sound bad.

Sounds like all the EQ's are useless for AK. Well I am returning it and getting the iBasso DX200.
I've always found the idea of using EQ settings in a player a contradictory position. If you need to eq the player, then clearly the sound signature isnt the sound you want, which begs the question of why you bought that player to begin with.

If th music has bass that are subdued, then it was meant to be subdued to begin with. Leave it alone unadulterated and don't change it. That's like going for steak and then dowsing the entire meat in sauce. However, If that is your goal, I agree that a more affordable piece of player suits your taste.

If you go with that line of thinking, why then would an EQ even be offered in "the best of the best" players out there. The reason is just this, to enable you to have the ability to add a little to a song when it needs it. Understanding that all music is recorded in different quality types, its something of a convenience to be able to have a tool like this in the player. If your going to subdue it, why have it. I think AK has made a big mistake here. If they don't want you using an EQ and are that in tune with how the player should sound, don't offer the EQ. But please do not include a 20-band EQ and make it so subtle as to not influence any part of the sound wave. That's just wrong. Another reason I think they offered a "20-band" is that it makes the player look professional and classy...ooh I have a 20 band EQ (that doesn't do much of anything).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back