New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #631 of 9,433
Typically AK with the first FW upgrades they change the sound, then later they stabilize. Happened with my AK320, then with the Ak380. Next week I should receive my SP1000, will check before upgrading, thanks for the heads up.

I believe they should offer the option to roll back the FW, because you may buy the unit based on one sound specific sound signature, and later it may change not so much to your liking.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #632 of 9,433
.. I believe they should offer the option to roll back the FW, because you may buy the unit based on one sound specific sound signature, and later it may change not so much to your liking.

+1

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #633 of 9,433
Interesting. I checked with my buddy and he confirmed my impressions were on fw 1.03.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #635 of 9,433
FYI Here is what an Asian SP1000 owner wrote on his FaceBook page ( Take this info with info with Caution, I have not tested myself ) :

" I just updated to the latest fw 1.03

Source: Ak Ultima Sp 1000 SS

IEM: Fit Ear MH 335 DW SR
Ocharaku Kaede II

This new fw 1.03 make my Ultima Sp 1000 SS like below:

- High: less clarity and detail

- Mid: is thicker and not so clear

- Bass: is thicker not as detail and fast fw 1.01

Fw 1.01 has better bass attack

Now new fw 1.03 sound quality like Tube amp
Former fw 1.01 was like solid state amp

Separation: not as good as fw 1.00 and fw1.01

I prefer former fw 1.01 was perfect for Ak Ultima Sp 1000 SS ".
Yeah this sounds like the king of imagined sound changes...wouldn't credit that too much. If you don't change the fw and tell him it is 1.04 he will tell you it sounds like something else again.

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #636 of 9,433
FYI Here is what an Asian SP1000 owner wrote on his FaceBook page ( Take this info with info with Caution, I have not tested myself ) :

" I just updated to the latest fw 1.03

Source: Ak Ultima Sp 1000 SS

IEM: Fit Ear MH 335 DW SR
Ocharaku Kaede II

This new fw 1.03 make my Ultima Sp 1000 SS like below:

- High: less clarity and detail

- Mid: is thicker and not so clear

- Bass: is thicker not as detail and fast fw 1.01

Fw 1.01 has better bass attack

Now new fw 1.03 sound quality like Tube amp
Former fw 1.01 was like solid state amp

Separation: not as good as fw 1.00 and fw1.01

I prefer former fw 1.01 was perfect for Ak Ultima Sp 1000 SS ".
sounds like the wording of King Rudy? Am I right? ^^

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #637 of 9,433
sounds like the wording of King Rudy? Am I right? ^^

I think so... do you know him ?

And, as a proof that we all have different ears, here is what Rudiwidjaja Hartono wrote about 1.03 :

" AK Ultima SP 1000 SS with new fw 1.03 is perfect for headphone

But for my sensitive IEM like
Fit Ear MH 335 DW SR
Bass is to thick for my preference

Source:
AK Ultima SP 1000 SS

Headphone:
Audeze LCD XC
Use AK Crystal Cable

With my LCD XC sound perfect the new fw 1.03 update.

High: Like fw 1.01 crisp and has great micro detall.

Mid: like strong point from Audeze thick creamy mid with better clarity and cleaner

Bass: Has great impact and has great bass slam, fast and clean.

Separation: Excelent separation that the individual instrument has great rendering.

Soundstage: It make my close LCD XC wider and has great depth "

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #638 of 9,433
I think so... do you know him ?

And, as a proof that we all have different ears, here is what Rudiwidjaja Hartono wrote about 1.03 :

" AK Ultima SP 1000 SS with new fw 1.03 is perfect for headphone

But for my sensitive IEM like
Fit Ear MH 335 DW SR
Bass is to thick for my preference

Source:
AK Ultima SP 1000 SS

Headphone:
Audeze LCD XC
Use AK Crystal Cable

With my LCD XC sound perfect the new fw 1.03 update.

High: Like fw 1.01 crisp and has great micro detall.

Mid: like strong point from Audeze thick creamy mid with better clarity and cleaner

Bass: Has great impact and has great bass slam, fast and clean.

Separation: Excelent separation that the individual instrument has great rendering.

Soundstage: It make my close LCD XC wider and has great depth "
Yeah many in that part of the world dislike bass. To (too) thick is still too light for me. K Pop, J Pop, Canton Pop = no bass, Female vocal songs = no bass, Animi = no bass, Classical bass is least inportant.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #639 of 9,433
Interesting. Would you mind checking your system info and confirm that the USB 3.0 connection is at 5 gbps? When I connect to my Mac Pro, the USB mode stays in USB 2.0 at 480 Mbps. I clocked the transfer rate at 200 Mbps using AFT. This is still about 2x faster than what I remember from AK380, but when I tried SP1000 data transfer under Windows, it was nearly 600 Mbps which is definitely in 3.0 mode.

You are right - system ifno showed up to 480 Mbps.

Have switched to a windows laptop and everything is working but how do I know if it is 5Gbps?

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #640 of 9,433
You are right - system ifno showed up to 480 Mbps.

Have switched to a windows laptop and everything is working but how do I know if it is 5Gbps?

Thanks for confirming. For Windows, I just clocked a 2 GB xfer and got about 600 Mbps so assumed UBS 3.0. I don't think SP1000 internal flash drive can write any faster. I think the 2.0 limit for Mac has to do with limitations of using MTP.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #641 of 9,433
How do firmware updates change the sound of the player, under the hood DSP or something like that? Is this intentional by A&K or just what users report on?

Cheers.

Simply different tuning, of course intentional, but since its a subjective matter different tunings might sound better or worse, depending on music, equipment, pairing, etc.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #642 of 9,433
Just tried the SP1000 SS with my Laylas in balanced. It sounds great! My prior AK240 and AK380 were not a good pairing as the sound was thick, veiled, and rolled off. It was only after I added the amp to the AK380 that the Laylas sounded right. SP1000 also sounds right and no need for any amps. The SP1000 I tried is relatively new (friend just got one 24 hrs ago) so not fully burned in like my AK380 CU stack, but my impressions comparing SP1000 to the fully amped AK380 CU stack and using balanced out:

Lows - a little thicker and richer on the SP1000. Not as textured as Cu amp.
Mids - about the same, slightly more forward on SP1000. Similar tone.
Highs - SP1000 is not as extended and airy as CU amp.
Soundstage - hard to make a judgement. SP1000 sounds more intimate, but still a very nice soundstage which the Laylas like to show off.
Interesting. One of my friends, who also has a Layla, has similar impressions on the Layla + SP1000 combo. In fact, he says he has never heard the Layla sound this good.

Btw, did you consider trying the SP1000 with the CDM? I wonder how this 2 would sound like together. I can imagine it'll be pretty fantastic - ALO amps are like extra toppings on top of an awesome pizza. It just makes everything better.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #644 of 9,433
Interesting. One of my friends, who also has a Layla, has similar impressions on the Layla + SP1000 combo. In fact, he says he has never heard the Layla sound this good.

Btw, did you consider trying the SP1000 with the CDM? I wonder how this 2 would sound like together. I can imagine it'll be pretty fantastic - ALO amps are like extra toppings on top of an awesome pizza. It just makes everything better.
I have the ALO CV5 and it pairs really well with the SS version .

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #645 of 9,433
I have the ALO CV5 and it pairs really well with the SS version .
That's good to hear! I recently purchased a CDM myself, and I'm hoping that it pairs well with the SP1000.

Btw, what are some of the changes that you've noticed when using the CV5? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back