New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #647 of 9,433
I received my SS version today, which will replace my RWAK240. I have it it paired with an ALO CV5 Amp (Green Tube) and it is pretty amazing. I precviously tried the 380 and actually preferred the RWAK240, so I sold the 380. The SP1000 is a significant step up.
I have the ALO CV5 and it pairs really well with the SS version .

Will be very interesting to know how much better the combo SP1000+CV5 sound compared to SP1000 alone ! what the CV5 bring to the table ?? (more power ? more "lush" ? more ??? )

what headphone you are using with the CV5 ?

and could the combo "SP1000 + Continental Dual Mono fully balanced" sound even better ? has someone compared ?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #648 of 9,433
Will be very interesting to know how much better the combo SP1000+CV5 sound compared to SP1000 alone ! what the CV5 bring to the table ?? (more power ? more "lush" ? more ??? )

and could the combo "SP1000 + Continental Dual Mono fully balanced" sound even better ? has someone compared ?

Cv5 would be around the same power, or slightly more than, the SP1000 balanced but definitely more than the SP1000 SE. I'd guess that tuning and ALO's quality implementation would be the differentiator. CDM is weaker (125mW@32 Ohms, balanced out) than both the SP1000 or the Cv5, but it's also very well tuned according to CDM owners.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #649 of 9,433
I'll have to borrow my friends SP1000 next week to try with my CDM. I am still resisting LOL.

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #650 of 9,433
I received my SS version today, which will replace my RWAK240. I have it it paired with an ALO CV5 Amp (Green Tube) and it is pretty amazing. I precviously tried the 380 and actually preferred the RWAK240, so I sold the 380. The SP1000 is a significant step up.
Cv5 would be around the same power, or slightly more than, the SP1000 balanced but definitely more than the SP1000 SE. I'd guess that tuning and ALO's quality implementation would be the differentiator. CDM is weaker (125mW@32 Ohms, balanced out) than both the SP1000 or the Cv5, but it's also very well tuned according to CDM owners.

thanks.

I should receive my SP1000 next week, so I will be able to bring it to CanJam London to test it myself with various headphones and external amps....

Jul 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #651 of 9,433
thanks.

I should receive my SP1000 next week, so I will be able to bring it to CanJam London to test it myself with various headphones and external amps....

Looking forward to reading about what you hear. :)

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #652 of 9,433
Yes, I was actually surprised to learn that the CV5 has greater power output than the CDM. Good progress from ALO in just over a year.

Anyway, both are very well tuned, and it was hard to tell them apart during my cursory auditions of the 2. I did detect slightly more body in the mids on the CDM, however. It was also a lot warmer than the CV5, which ran relatively cool. The latter has a really small footprint (the same as the new Rx), so it's definitely the more portable of the 2.

My SP1000 should be coming in soon (hopefully by next week). I don't have a balanced setup, but I'll have some impressions on the SP1000 with several of my amps, including the CDM.

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #653 of 9,433
Yes, I was actually surprised to learn that the CV5 has greater power output than the CDM. Good progress from ALO in just over a year.

Anyway, both are very well tuned, and it was hard to tell them apart during my cursory auditions of the 2. I did detect slightly more body in the mids on the CDM, however. It was also a lot warmer than the CV5, which ran relatively cool. The latter has a really small footprint (the same as the new Rx), so it's definitely the more portable of the 2.

My SP1000 should be coming in soon (hopefully by next week). I don't have a balanced setup, but I'll have some impressions on the SP1000 with several of my amps, including the CDM.

Precisely why when consistently I read MOAR POWAR it's not about just power. When there is more than enough then there is enough. Tuning and implementation is the key when there is enough, but it seems all people talk about is power, but there is much more to a designer's implementation. Raw max power is easy, clean low distortion power is hard.

Edit: I'm not referring to anyone in this thread in particular. :)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #654 of 9,433

I'm using the ether flow C, Which I really enjoy with the pairing .

I think the CV5 adds more grunt at the bottom end (could be the green tube) .

While listening via SE on player alone, it does not have as full of a sound as the CV5. I don't have a balanced cable for the flows, so i can't really tell you the difference .

I am glad I got the SS instead of waiting for the CU version. I was suprised at how warm the SS is. If the CU is much warmer, I don't know that it will sound as good with one of the ALO amps.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #655 of 9,433
How do firmware updates change the sound of the player, under the hood DSP or something like that? Is this intentional by A&K or just what users report on?
Cheers.
There are many ways to do so, and even easier for the manufacturer itself to imply upon. Many newer DAC chips allow software control over filtering....etc....which can alternate the sound

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #656 of 9,433
Getting on the Layla+SP1000 bandwagon. I was waiting to listen for a few more days before commenting, but I think the Laylas combined with the SP1000 from the balanced out have what an old HiFi buff friend of mine used to call 'factor-x'. Seems to be a truly magical combination.

I also think that the SP1000 is the most musical DAP that A&K have made so far. Very tube like - which is a good thing.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #657 of 9,433
can owners comment on battery life please, I have mine coming this week and haven't heard much about battery life, thanks in advance.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #658 of 9,433
I also think that the SP1000 is the most musical DAP that A&K have made so far. Very tube like - which is a good thing.

If the SS sound "very tube like", I wonder how the Cu will sound !! :astonished: what Firmware version are you using ?

... and I am glad I ordered the SS version without waiting for the Cu availability !! :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #659 of 9,433
can owners comment on battery life please, I have mine coming this week and haven't heard much about battery life, thanks in advance.

I posted few pages before a report found on the Facebook page of an asian head-fier that reported 11 hours with PCM files...

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #660 of 9,433
Precisely why when consistently I read MOAR POWAR it's not about just power. When there is more than enough then there is enough. Tuning and implementation is the key when there is enough, but it seems all people talk about is power, but there is much more to a designer's implementation. Raw max power is easy, clean low distortion power is hard.

Edit: I'm not referring to anyone in this thread in particular. :)
Well said. Raw power is good, but it's not the only thing that makes an amp great. I think the AK3XX amp falls into this category, or at least, the non-copper version. I've tried the amp with my 380 in the past, but I didn't detect any noticeable improvements to the sound signature. Drivability was definitely improved, but I didn't feel that staging, dynamics and detail were adequately affected. On the other hand, when I pair any of my DAPs with an amp from an established amp maker, like ALO, Vorzuge or even FiiO, changes are rather apparent and appreciated.

With AK allowing 3rd-party makers to produce add-on amps for the SP1000, I think it an implicit admission that the amp market belongs to the experts. I think it's something worth waiting for - a truly world-class amp attachment from say ALO or Cypher Labs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back