New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #5,927 of 9,411
@ szore, grr bad info :frowning2: , hope your item is still under warranty

@ all, I just purchased the last album "higher" from Patricia Barber, it's in WAV 24/44 format. This album cannot be played on my AK SP1000 and AK380, it's mention unplayable songs has been removed. Any idea, I can play this album on my mac, my QP2R and my Samsung s10. Thanks in advance for any help.
You try re-tagging it? Or converting to FLAC and then back to WAV. Sounds like something in the encoding isn't playng nice with AK. I have read in the past that some hi-res from one company had playing issues with AK, can't remember what the outcome was. Maybe contact where you bought it and ask for help?

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #5,929 of 9,411
Watch your screws!

Looks like the unit has had a hard life, or the finish wears off easily. I still have my old ak300 that is almost 3 years old and all of the finish is still intact. I am sure AK will take care of you they are pretty good with customer service. Audeze is still #1 in that area though in my book.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #5,930 of 9,411
Looks like the unit has had a hard life, or the finish wears off easily. I still have my old ak300 that is almost 3 years old and all of the finish is still intact. I am sure AK will take care of you they are pretty good with customer service. Audeze is still #1 in that area though in my book.
Yeah, the blue coating comes off very easily. I would use the case but the buttons are virtual unusable with the case on. Plus, this sounds corny, but I really love holding the bare unit in my hand; the metal, glass, and the points make it fun to hold. The points are like a stress ball if you squeeze it in your hand! But...On the points and edges, all the blue has come off. Oh, well.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,931 of 9,411
the screw problem also happened to me on my se100. I felt the back glass panel shift in all directions, it didnt fall out just moved, and I checked and it was two loose screws. luckily I caught it and screwed it in tight.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,932 of 9,411
Congrats! The 1K series is awesome, no matter which version.

Thanks @NovaFlyer
I know my ears quite well (i play guitar in bands as well), and I honestly wanted to wind up with the SR15 or, worst case, the SE100. But 2 hours in the shop with a bunch of (my) IEMs and even switching out cables - copper / copper + silver etc - led me to the SS SP1000.

One thing that has made me laugh is that after an hour or two of handling the AK, every other gadget - iPhones, FiiO etc - feels paper thin and light! Really brings home how much tech is packed into those smartphones and smaller DAPs!

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #5,933 of 9,411
Thanks @NovaFlyer
I know my ears quite well (i play guitar in bands as well), and I honestly wanted to wind up with the SR15 or, worst case, the SE100. But 2 hours in the shop with a bunch of (my) IEMs and even switching out cables - copper / copper + silver etc - led me to the SS SP1000.

One thing that has made me laugh is that after an hour or two of handling the AK, every other gadget - iPhones, FiiO etc - feels paper thin and light! Really brings home how much tech is packed into those smartphones and smaller DAPs!

I remember the first time I picked up a SP1K and the first impression was the heft and solid feel. Since I do travel, I decided on the SP1KM, lighter in weight but still great sound.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #5,934 of 9,411
I remember the first time I picked up a SP1K and the first impression was the heft and solid feel. Since I do travel, I decided on the SP1KM, lighter in weight but still great sound.

I think “heft and solid feel” is being very diplomatic! :)
It’s far too heavy for a portable music player, particularly as the much lighter M has very similar internals (if I remember correctly). I tend to have a camera bag with me, so thought I’d take the chance on the heavier unit. FiiO might come out for occasional ultra portable needs, which is fine for me.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #5,935 of 9,411
I use my SP1000SS as a portable daily, in a VanNuys belt holster. Same size as my iPhone X (though thicker) and it clearly weighs more. But then how many here have an amp strapped to their DAC and use them as a portable? It's all a matter of choice. "It's far too heavy for a portable music player" is an opinion, and clearly one that many of us don't agree with. I started with a little bitty C3, used iBasso and Fiio and Pono, then a couple of earlier AK's. Had amps on the C3 and the iBasso, too. If it sounds good and I can carry it, I do so.

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #5,936 of 9,411
I think “heft and solid feel” is being very diplomatic! :)
It’s far too heavy for a portable music player, particularly as the much lighter M has very similar internals (if I remember correctly). I tend to have a camera bag with me, so thought I’d take the chance on the heavier unit. FiiO might come out for occasional ultra portable needs, which is fine for me.

@Fidelcastro you are correct that the SP1K and SP1KM have the same internals, DACs, etc

I view DAPs like cameras, the right tool for the right job; and both can suit individual tastes - DAPs with sound and cameras with color rendering. That's the great thing about this hobby and photography, there are so many options that can meet everyone's preferences. I have an upcoming photo trip to the Canadian Rockies and won't be taking my SP1KM on that trip, nor my TOTL IEMs - will keep it simple and basic with iPhone, DAC, and FiiO FA7 and will get the sound quality I need for that situation.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #5,937 of 9,411
Well, sure. When I was working as a shooter, if the Hassey was too much I used the Nikons. Now I use my iPhone X more than my Nikons. Musically, though, I use my SPK and my Zeus for everything/everywhere. But if I was climbing around mountains I'd probably go lighter/smaller. Also for cost effectiveness - I'd rather break/lose something lesser. :)

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,938 of 9,411
Hey guys, i'm having an issue with my SP1000SS. It just reset all of a sudden (nothing too unusual...sometimes happens). However, now when I try to select a USB mode, both options are grey. Meaning, I can't select a USB mode. I tried resetting the device with no luck.

Any input?

Update: So my device randomly reset again, and now the USB modes are changeable. Weird...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,939 of 9,411
the screw problem also happened to me on my se100. I felt the back glass panel shift in all directions, it didnt fall out just moved, and I checked and it was two loose screws. luckily I caught it and screwed it in tight.
I initially had some miscommunications with customer support, but A&K has come through with flying colors, Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #5,940 of 9,411
I gave up on customer support. I understand now why A&K has the reputation it does in the industry.
I appreciate AK's outreach through Jason, but I had some tough times with AK too.
I felt like I was beta testing the AK SP1000 player, and as much as I had to go through to prove I had a problem it proved I was beta testing.
I love my AK sp1000, but I had to go through a ton of effort for them to admit my first one had issues.
My dealer also was not impressed with AK's support.
AK doesn't make it easy to get support. I like the guy there Andrew, but he wasn't available much.
I'm not sure, but I think I spent almost 3,500 on a DAP, and it took about 1-2 months to get my replacement. I had an uphill battle, but eventually they decided in my favor.
I wish I gave Sony a harder look, but my AK won't be going anywhere for a long time.

They still never corrected my album title bug though.
10216712.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back