New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #5,881 of 9,409
The type of dedicated cable needed to connect to the portable DAC varies; please refer to USB DAC manufacturer instructions for correct cable type.

A USB DAC cable is not included with the device and must be purchased separately.
Depending on the OTG cable used, the connection may be unstable.

It doesn't seem to include the needed cable, taken info above from the included instruction manual......hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #5,882 of 9,409
The type of dedicated cable needed to connect to the portable DAC varies; please refer to USB DAC manufacturer instructions for correct cable type.

A USB DAC cable is not included with the device and must be purchased separately.
Depending on the OTG cable used, the connection may be unstable.

It doesn't seem to include the needed cable, taken info above from the included instruction manual......hope this helps.

Thanks. I went out and bought a USB C to B cable. I just don’t know if that’s “OTG,” whatever that means.

Still, I doubt the problem is really the cable...

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #5,883 of 9,409
USB On-The-Go (OTG) is a standardized specification that allows a device to read data from a USB device without requiring a PC. The device basically becomes a USB host, which isn’t an ability every gadget has.

I don't use my device much in USB mode, but I'm sure some other forum members have plenty more experience.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #5,884 of 9,409
USB On-The-Go (OTG) is a standardized specification that allows a device to read data from a USB device without requiring a PC. The device basically becomes a USB host, which isn’t an ability every gadget has.

I don't use my device much in USB mode, but I'm sure some other forum members have plenty more experience.

OK, so it’s a quality of the device itself, not the cable. That makes more sense....

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #5,885 of 9,409
Before you sell the SP1000M.. did you try it with the RAI Penta?
I'm quite interested in this IEM.
Yes, I did. Synergy was better with LPGT.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #5,886 of 9,409
OK, so it’s a quality of the device itself, not the cable. That makes more sense....

In my opinion, this is not correct. The USB connection on the SP1000 has multiple functions. It can be used to transfer files in MTP mode, to receive digital audio from a player and send it to the DAC, or output digital audio to an external DAC (USB Audio mode). As near as I can tell, this is what you are trying to accomplish. The SP1000 needs a USB C OTG cable to do this. You will either need to have one custom made with a Type B connector, or buy a USB C OTG cable with a female Type A connector to act as an adapter for a standard USB Type A to Type B cable. Then follow the instructions for USB Audio in the manual. Take a look at these iFi cables: https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/

Good luck.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #5,887 of 9,409
In my opinion, this is not correct. The USB connection on the SP1000 has multiple functions. It can be used to transfer files in MTP mode, to receive digital audio from a player and send it to the DAC, or output digital audio to an external DAC (USB Audio mode). As near as I can tell, this is what you are trying to accomplish. The SP1000 needs a USB C OTG cable to do this. You will either need to have one custom made with a Type B connector, or buy a USB C OTG cable with a female Type A connector to act as an adapter for a standard USB Type A to Type B cable. Then follow the instructions for USB Audio in the manual. Take a look at these iFi cables: https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/

Good luck.
I think there is a problem with the AK1000. I connect mine to my DAC with a silver dragon USBC to B cable from Moon Audio. It is subject to periodic drop outs, sometimes requiring the AK to be rebooted, sometimes just toggling the USB icon on and off will work. Sometimes it happens every hour or two of listening, sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes not at all

Apr 13, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #5,888 of 9,409
Need some advice. The backplate on my sp1000 has cracked. I suspect as a result of being in my backpack and collided with laptop on commute.
It still works but how do I get it fixed/replaced in the UK. It’s 14 months old so not in warranty? Thanks.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #5,889 of 9,409
Need some advice. The backplate on my sp1000 has cracked. I suspect as a result of being in my backpack and collided with laptop on commute.
It still works but how do I get it fixed/replaced in the UK. It’s 14 months old so not in warranty? Thanks.
@bennyrunner sent you a PM.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 13, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #5,890 of 9,409
Hi Jason,
I just received my SP1000. It has an issue with Wifi: the signal is excellent when I'm closed to the router, but after a minute it is lost for no reason. Is this a software or hardware issue?

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #5,891 of 9,409
Hi Jason,
I just received my SP1000. It has an issue with Wifi: the signal is excellent when I'm closed to the router, but after a minute it is lost for no reason. Is this a software or hardware issue?
are you moving further from the main router or modem?

I'm not sure what chip is used in the SP1000, I do know that its only 2.4ghz B/G/N and not 5ghz.
So, although 2.4ghz is best for signal strength and better for distance, I've often wonder if it was for interference reasons 5ghz was omitted.
I don't usually see wifi issues with mine, but it will flake from time to time on my home network. Usually a reboot of the player and the issue goes away. Good luck

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #5,892 of 9,409
are you moving further from the main router or modem?

I'm not sure what chip is used in the SP1000, I do know that its only 2.4ghz B/G/N and not 5ghz.
So, although 2.4ghz is best for signal strength and better for distance, I've often wonder if it was for interference reasons 5ghz was omitted.
I don't usually see wifi issues with mine, but it will flake from time to time on my home network. Usually a reboot of the player and the issue goes away. Good luck
Ni I stay in the same position and I'm connecting to 2.4ghz. It keeps losing connection after one minute each time I connect

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #5,893 of 9,409
Ni I stay in the same position and I'm connecting to 2.4ghz. It keeps losing connection after one minute each time I connect

The timing might be coincidental.

What channel is your AP on? Is the 2.4 congested where you are?

I've had issues as well, but only in highly congested environments. If I force my AP to a less congested channel or if I'm away from home and happen to be in a less congested environment, the issues disappear.

Apr 14, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #5,894 of 9,409

Good luck.

Thanks. Just ordered a cheapo OTG cable to give it a try. If it works I'll spring for something nice like you linked to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back