New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 12, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,287 of 9,406
Yup. I've tried everything. It must be a hardware issue. Something happened when I was charging it, a power surge, maybe...

May 12, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #3,288 of 9,406
Just got my Sp1000cu yesterday. Is it normal for there to be lateral movement on the volume control? It has wobble in all 4 directions and if moved it could rub the body of the player. If this is not normal I can still return it through amazon.

May 12, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #3,289 of 9,406
Just got my Sp1000cu yesterday. Is it normal for there to be lateral movement on the volume control? It has wobble in all 4 directions and if moved it could rub the body of the player. If this is not normal I can still return it through amazon.

It is normal.

May 12, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #3,290 of 9,406
Hello
Need some help.
At last I decided to go for sp 1000 cu after reviewing other options.
I seriously considered ibasso dx 200 but the same is not officially available in my country.
My dealer got the unit(sp 1000cu) after 4-5 months.
I will be driving my lcd i4 with a balanced cable EA lionheart or horus.
Presently i am using ak kann as a transport with hugo 2. I love the lcdi4 + hugo 2 combination. But, I want an all in one portable solution which drives my lcdi4.
I was about to pull the trigger on sp 1000cu but new daps were released at high end munich 2018 (cayin N8 ). I am impressed with the specs of the n8.
Now, I have to wait for another 3-4 months for cayin to officially release the n8.
Also, A&futura looks promising with SABRE ES9038Pro 8 channel dac & its 1800 usd cheaper than sp 1000.
I am really confused.

Thanks

I tried the new A&futura yesterday at the High End in Munich. It offers the typical "Sabre-sound" with rather emphasized treble. It sounds a bit thin, more digital (maybe like a AK320 vs AK380 earlier). It does not rival both SP1000 and AK380, imho. If you can afford, you are much better off with the SP1000Cu. Your LCD-i4 deserves the best DAP, the SP1000! :beerchug:

By the way, I also like the smaller A&norma SR15. Definitely much less resolving, but so cute. It reminds me of my first A&K DAP, the AK240. :)

May 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #3,291 of 9,406
I tried the new A&futura yesterday at the High End in Munich. It offers the typical "Sabre-sound" with rather emphasized treble. It sounds a bit thin, more digital (maybe like a AK320 vs AK380 earlier). It does not rival both SP1000 and AK380, imho. If you can afford, you are much better off with the SP1000Cu. Your LCD-i4 deserves the best DAP, the SP1000! :beerchug:

By the way, I also like the smaller A&norma SR15. Definitely much less resolving, but so cute. It reminds me of my first A&K DAP, the AK240. :)
Thanks a lot!
Did you auditioned cayin n8? Any comparison with your sp1000ss.

May 12, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,292 of 9,406
Thanks a lot!
Did you auditioned cayin n8? Any comparison with your sp1000ss.

Sorry, no, just A&K as far as DAPs are concerned. Meze had the N8 at their booth, but I liked their Empyrean headphone so much with both my SP1000 and a Chord Dave, that I forgot to take a closer look at the N8.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,293 of 9,406
I tried the new A&futura yesterday at the High End in Munich. It offers the typical "Sabre-sound" with rather emphasized treble. It sounds a bit thin, more digital (maybe like a AK320 vs AK380 earlier)
Can you please share your feelings about the stage. How did it feel like? Was it narrow or wide? You tried only cans of IEMs as well?
I think the version you tried was not burned in enough to make the final conclusions on the moment, so that's why it seemed thin.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,294 of 9,406
Can you please share your feelings about the stage. How did it feel like? Was it narrow or wide? You tried only cans of IEMs as well?
I think the version you tried was not burned in enough to make the final conclusions on the moment, so that's why it seemed thin.

Sure, trade fairs are never the right place for the final conclusions. I remember last year at the High End when all the SP1000 distorted considerably with the T5p, which was solved by A&K before delivery of the first batch. I only tried the A&futura with the AKT5p, provided by Astell & Kern. I was able to compare its sound directly to the SP1000SS, which was presented by A&K side-by-side with both new DAPs. The soundstage of the A&futura was quite large, but what struck me immediately was the typical Sabre sound, BEFORE reading about the DAC chip used and the specs. If you like the typical sound signature of Sabre DAC chips, the A&futura may be worth considering. I personally prefer the sound of AKM-based DAPs, but even trying to be unbiased, the SP1000 is the much better DAP for sure. The tonal characteristic of the A&ultima reminded me a bit of the AK320, leaner sounding than the rest of the A&K product lineup. Highly resolving, but a bit too bright with a slight tendency to be sibilant and the body a bit lacking. Some may still like it, and there may be good synergy with some warmer tuned headphones or IEMs, but in general I would say that the sound difference between A&ultima SP1000 (no matter if Cu or SS) and the A&futura SE100 is at least not smaller than between AK380 and AK320.

May 12, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,295 of 9,406
Sure, trade fairs are never the right place for the final conclusions. I remember last year at the High End when all the SP1000 distorted considerably with the T5p, which was solved by A&K before delivery of the first batch. I only tried the A&futura with the AKT5p, provided by Astell & Kern. I was able to compare its sound directly to the SP1000SS, which was presented by A&K side-by-side with both new DAPs. The soundstage of the A&futura was quite large, but what struck me immediately was the typical Sabre sound, BEFORE reading about the DAC chip used and the specs. If you like the typical sound signature of Sabre DAC chips, the A&futura may be worth considering. I personally prefer the sound of AKM-based DAPs, but even trying to be unbiased, the SP1000 is the much better DAP for sure. The tonal characteristic of the A&ultima reminded me a bit of the AK320, leaner sounding than the rest of the A&K product lineup. Highly resolving, but a bit too bright with a slight tendency to be sibilant and the body a bit lacking. Some may still like it, and there may be good synergy with some warmer tuned headphones or IEMs, but in general I would say that the sound difference between A&ultima SP1000 (no matter if Cu or SS) and the A&futura SE100 is at least not smaller than between AK380 and AK320.
Thanks for such a detailed review! I never heard any of Sabre chips, just Cirrus Logic in AK70MKI, and do want to hear more about it, but to avoid off-top I suggest we move the right thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-high-end-show-2018-in-munich-germany.879392/. I seek for a wider stage (from AK70MKI) and more detalization, but bulkiness and the weight of SP1000 concerns me a little. Besides I'm mostly listen during my way to work and back in subway, so not sure I'll fully enjoy the sound.

May 12, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,296 of 9,406
Thanks for such a detailed review! I never heard any of Sabre chips, just Cirrus Logic in AK70MKI, and do want to hear more about it, but to avoid off-top I suggest we move the right thread - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...-high-end-show-2018-in-munich-germany.879392/. I seek for a wider stage (from AK70MKI) and more detalization, but bulkiness and the weight of SP1000 concerns me a little. Besides I'm mostly listen during my way to work and back in subway, so not sure I'll fully enjoy the sound.

Just one last comment from me on the new A&K DAPs here. The new ones are much are much lighter in weight than the SP1000s, so if weight and portability does matter to you more than the ultimate sound, both may be a viable alternative. The SE100 is the brighter sounding a higher resolving one, the SR15 is even smaller in size and even more portable, more relaxed and full sounding, but not overly resolving. For your requirements (wider stage, more detalization), the SE100 should be a good choice. However, I never tried the AK70MKI, so I cannot comment on how large the improvement would be for you.

May 12, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,297 of 9,406
Just one last comment from me on the new A&K DAPs here. The new ones are much are much lighter in weight than the SP1000s, so if weight and portability does matter to you more than the ultimate sound, both may be a viable alternative. The SE100 is the brighter sounding a higher resolving one, the SR15 is even smaller in size and even more portable, more relaxed and full sounding, but not overly resolving. For your requirements (wider stage, more detalization), the SE100 should be a good choice. However, I never tried the AK70MKI, so I cannot comment on how large the improvement would be for you.
That's the problem here - I think now, as I have no experience carrying SP1000, that the sound worth the discomfort from the size and weight, but there is always a risk that in reality I find keeping it in pocket listening in overcrowded noisy subway not much better than other models, who knows? The only way to know it is to try, but returning it back after a while... Not the scenario I find comfortable to try. Even my AK70MKI with its size and weight make it not so convenient to keep it in pants. With SP1000 I'll have to get another pair of pants if it doesn't fit in pocket... What?!.. Nah...

May 12, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,298 of 9,406
That's the problem here - I think now, as I have no experience carrying SP1000, that the sound worth the discomfort from the size and weight, but there is always a risk that in reality I find keeping it in pocket listening in overcrowded noisy subway not much better than other models, who knows? The only way to know it is to try, but returning it back after a while... Not the scenario I find comfortable to try. Even my AK70MKI with its size and weight make it not so convenient to keep it in pants. With SP1000 I'll have to get another pair of pants if it doesn't fit in pocket... What?!.. Nah...
I use my SP1000Cu and WM1Z alternatively on my everyday commute in Manhattan (both bus and subways). When wearing a jacket, I put it in a jacket pocket. Otherwise I put it in my pants pocket. For more than 1 year of this daily habit I had no problem so far. Yes they are heavy. If you ask me if I'm completely comfortable, I would say no. But to me it's worthwhile to have better sound quality. Yes, I can clearly hear the difference even on a subway...

May 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #3,299 of 9,406
I use my SP1000Cu and WM1Z alternatively on my everyday commute in Manhattan (both bus and subways). When wearing a jacket, I put it in a jacket pocket. Otherwise I put it in my pants pocket. For more than 1 year of this daily habit I had no problem so far. Yes they are heavy. If you ask me if I'm completely comfortable, I would say no. But to me it's worthwhile to have better sound quality. Yes, I can clearly hear the difference even on a subway...
Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback! I will focus more on SP1000SS then

May 13, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,300 of 9,406
I'm looking at getting one of the two is there one you like better in particular? I would be using the device as a portable player and as a dac for my laptop. I use CA Vega and listen to mainly hairstyle, jazz and trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back