New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #3,301 of 9,406
I'm looking at getting one of the two is there one you like better in particular? I would be using the device as a portable player and as a dac for my laptop. I use CA Vega and listen to mainly hairstyle, jazz and trance.
Software is superior on WM1Z. SP1000Cu is cleaner, more neutral, and a bit airier, while WM1Z is slightly warmer and fuller. It's hard to pick only one. However, WM1Z does not function as a DAC. Therefore, if that is critical for you, SP1000Cu is the one.

May 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #3,302 of 9,406
So far loving the SP1000 big upgrade from my old ak300 and iDSD BL. Only decision now is do I sell off the iDSD BL? I feel like the SP1000 can drive my LCD X really well and am not missing much if anything in the amp section especially with the balanced output. Totally no problem driving the JH audio roxanne either.

Currently only using the iDSD BL as a dac out of my Mac into my desktop setup. Do I sell it off and look for a better option for the desktop maybe something from Schitt? Currently running into an Arcam A38 into KEF LS50. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. (I live in an apartment so need to keep the set up small.)

May 15, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #3,303 of 9,406
Is there a way to search by composer with the SP1000 or is there a plan to add this in a future firmware? It would be a great addition for classical music. As of now the best way that I have found is to set up folders with each composer.

May 15, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #3,304 of 9,406
Software is superior on WM1Z. SP1000Cu is cleaner, more neutral, and a bit airier, while WM1Z is slightly warmer and fuller. It's hard to pick only one. However, WM1Z does not function as a DAC. Therefore, if that is critical for you, SP1000Cu is the one.

Offline tidal, network Play are big pluses if you are going to use them....

That part shifted my selection

May 15, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #3,305 of 9,406
SP1000 can't do offline Tidal...

May 16, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,307 of 9,406
I've been comparing the SP1000's DAC with the H2 and the SP1000 competes. This is connected to a MacBook Pro using Tidal HiFi (Master files). Both sound great to me.

May 16, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #3,308 of 9,406
Really close to pulling the trigger on a copper or black one should I upgrade from my ak240 BN? This will also be used as a dac for my laptop. I will be using a pair of ca vega but was also considering getting a pair of t1p, are they a good complement or should I get something else? I listen to mainly hardstyle, trance and jazz. Cheers.

Edit: Should I go for black or copper, having a hard time deciding. Would mainly get black for the finish durability.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3,309 of 9,406
Really close to pulling the trigger on a copper or black one should I upgrade from my ak240 BN? This will also be used as a dac for my laptop. I will be using a pair of ca vega but was also considering getting a pair of t1p, are they a good complement or should I get something else? I listen to mainly hardstyle, trance and jazz. Cheers.

Edit: Should I go for black or copper, having a hard time deciding. Would mainly get black for the finish durability.

To my untrained ears, all of the 3 versions sound different, with the Onyx black sounding somewhere in between the copper and stainless steel, but not in the middle, it was much closer to the stainless steel.

Copper was the warmest of the 3, while stainless steel was the brightest and cleanest one to my ears. So it really depends on your preference and setup.

Some people say they don't hear a difference, I heard a difference by a/b/c ing all 3 side by side.

May 16, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,310 of 9,406
To my untrained ears, all of the 3 versions sound different, with the Onyx black sounding somewhere in between the copper and stainless steel, but not in the middle, it was much closer to the stainless steel.

Copper was the warmest of the 3, while stainless steel was the brightest and cleanest one to my ears. So it really depends on your preference and setup.

Some people say they don't hear a difference, I heard a difference by a/b/c ing all 3 side by side.
Sounds like I should go with the cu then based on the vega and my music preferences or am I wrong in thinking that? Dropping this kind of cash I wanna make sure I get the best. Any comment on the t1p?

May 16, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,312 of 9,406
Testing some new iems, while working on SP1000 SS review, and impressed how well oBravo RA (low sensitivity at 93dB, high impedance at 182 ohm) is driven by balanced output of SP1000 SS. 3.9Vrms from 2.5mm output is not a joke at around 475mW (considering 32 ohm load). But I think in this pair up specifically, the smoother top end of SP1000 gives it a better synergy to keep that 12k peak under control. That's another thing I'm noticing when comparing SP1000SS (fw 1.08) to other daps, it takes the edge off the treble with many of my brighter iems.

obravo_ra_c_cu-x09.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #3,314 of 9,406
Just pulled the trigger on the sp1000 and a pair of t1p's. Spent a lot of time going between copper and black and in the end decided on black. Now I gotta pace around and get over the fact that I just dropped 3500 on a dap.

congrats and sorry for your wallet, the SP1000 is an excellent sounding DAP with an excellent interface, great battery life and gobs of detail retrieval. You will enjoy ownership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back