New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
May 10, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,271 of 9,406
I tried briefly the Utopia at the last Canjam in NY with my SP1000 and I have to say I wasn't impressed, I honestly have the feeling that the SP1000 cannot drive the headphone, even if it's loud, it feels it's lacking the correct alumni of resolution and dynamism.

I use my SP1000 with Utopia in balanced output and volume at around 100 is plenty loud. That was good enough when I auditioned the Utopia with my SP1000 to make my decision to buy. Like you said, definitely not at the level of resolution and dynamics compared to my desktop chain but still 90%+ there. But to say that an IEM like Z5 has more details doesn't seem possible if everything is functioning correctly. I had the Z5 and "resolving" is not how I would characterize it. I just think that Utopia can out resolve what the SP1000 can produce.

May 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,272 of 9,406
@bflat,
I know that for sure, but there was literally no chain - SP1000SS-adapter (SE, BTW)-Utopia. The store I was listening in may have messed up with the adapter, but I hardly believe so. I tried some Westone as well, but only slightly, 'cause I had to go then and I believe they did something there. I already spent about two weeks on this thread learning the best combinations with the SP1000SS, but first of them didn't work for some reason.

The situation I'm in right now is that I'm ready and able to go on with the SQ and looking for an improvement, but fear that I won't feel the difference to justify the move for myself. I was considering to make smaller steps towards perfect sound and continue with AK70 MKII or KANN + CIEMs just not to be sorry if there would be little or no effect for me, but this makes me saaaad panda. I totally forgot about KSE1500 or SE846 and will definitely try them next time. The target I'm heading now after reading 150+ pages of this thread is SP1000SS + U18t, but first I need to feel the power of SP1000SS with some other reference IEMs as the 64audio dealer doesn't sell A&K so I can't try them together. Another option is JH Layla as they're available for audition together, but many people here cherish 64audio I can't afford to miss

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3,273 of 9,406
I could hear the difference between my A&K 240SS (still for sale btw) and the SP1000 easily. I'm having a difficult time with the idea that you don't hear a difference between the 70 and it. As to other IEM's, I wouldn't suggest the 846. You could try some of the Empire Ears models, as I love my Zeus and Phantom with the SP1000. There are numerous other, lower-priced models in the line as well. The Ultimate Ears Reference and 18 are both very good. I had a JH Angie, which is basically like a JH13 (or so I am told), and while it paired well with the SP1000 I sold it when I got the Zeus. Keep in mind that the SP1000SS is very detailed and a bit bright. Both IEM and cable are going to factor in.

May 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #3,274 of 9,406
I know it was already mentioned about new Dignis Patina (brown and navy) cases for SP1000. Even so it's already listed as sold out, I believe they are working on the next batch. Only one master craftsman is doing all the dyeing, so it takes awhile. But these cases look and feel high quality, as expected from Dignis. The fit is perfect, and I love how the top right side is covered. Dignis pays attention to every detail, especially that cutout around the crown power/volume wheel. Just my opinion, but I think Navy looks really cool with SS, while Brown will look great with CU.

dignis_sp1000_patina-x01.jpg dignis_sp1000_patina-x02.jpg dignis_sp1000_patina-x03.jpg dignis_sp1000_patina-x04.jpg dignis_sp1000_patina-x05.jpg dignis_sp1000_patina-x06.jpg

May 11, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #3,276 of 9,406
I could hear the difference between my A&K 240SS (still for sale btw) and the SP1000 easily. I'm having a difficult time with the idea that you don't hear a difference between the 70 and it. As to other IEM's, I wouldn't suggest the 846. You could try some of the Empire Ears models, as I love my Zeus and Phantom with the SP1000. There are numerous other, lower-priced models in the line as well. The Ultimate Ears Reference and 18 are both very good. I had a JH Angie, which is basically like a JH13 (or so I am told), and while it paired well with the SP1000 I sold it when I got the Zeus. Keep in mind that the SP1000SS is very detailed and a bit bright. Both IEM and cable are going to factor in.
I hear the difference between the two (and I heard the details were very different and the separation), but it wasn't WOW and it were in Z5. I'm more into that it was just because the fit as I'm very well used to them. I'll try to find EE distro to check, and next time will try UE as well, but again there could be difficulties with the fit. The main idea is to find the safest pair (thinking more about cans) where fit would not be a problem, hear the SQ at its best, buy SP1000SS, walk with Z5 together for a while and get the TOTL CIEMs when get used to SP1000SS sound.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #3,279 of 9,406
Anyone having an issue with the External USB icon flashing, making it impossible for the display to shut off?

CJ

May 11, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #3,280 of 9,406
Anyone having an issue with the External USB icon flashing, making it impossible for the display to shut off?

CJ
Try doing a soft reset. To soft reset, hold the power button down for 10 - 20 seconds. The player will shut down. You can then power it back up normally. This should resolve the issue.

Jason

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 11, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,281 of 9,406
Tried it. The External USB icon still flashes, preventing the screen from turning off.

May 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #3,283 of 9,406
Hello
Need some help.
At last I decided to go for sp 1000 cu after reviewing other options.
I seriously considered ibasso dx 200 but the same is not officially available in my country.
My dealer got the unit(sp 1000cu) after 4-5 months.
I will be driving my lcd i4 with a balanced cable EA lionheart or horus.
Presently i am using ak kann as a transport with hugo 2. I love the lcdi4 + hugo 2 combination. But, I want an all in one portable solution which drives my lcdi4.
I was about to pull the trigger on sp 1000cu but new daps were released at high end munich 2018 (cayin N8 ). I am impressed with the specs of the n8.
Now, I have to wait for another 3-4 months for cayin to officially release the n8.
Also, A&futura looks promising with SABRE ES9038Pro 8 channel dac & its 1800 usd cheaper than sp 1000.
I am really confused.

Thanks

May 11, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #3,284 of 9,406
Hello
Need some help.
At last I decided to go for sp 1000 cu after reviewing other options.
I seriously considered ibasso dx 200 but the same is not officially available in my country.
My dealer got the unit(sp 1000cu) after 4-5 months.
I will be driving my lcd i4 with a balanced cable EA lionheart or horus.
Presently i am using ak kann as a transport with hugo 2. I love the lcdi4 + hugo 2 combination. But, I want an all in one portable solution which drives my lcdi4.
I was about to pull the trigger on sp 1000cu but new daps were released at high end munich 2018 (cayin N8 ). I am impressed with the specs of the n8.
Now, I have to wait for another 3-4 months for cayin to officially release the n8.
Also, A&futura looks promising with SABRE ES9038Pro 8 channel dac & its 1800 usd cheaper than sp 1000.
I am really confused.

Thanks

True, it was an easier choice with A&K and Sony dominating the flagship market. Now, at the beginning of the summer there will be LPG Touch and at the end of the summer - N8. And guess what? You wait 3-4 months thinking you will have to narrow it down from 4 flagships, and then rumors will start circulating about more new releases and upcoming A&K and Sony models. It's a never ending cycle where you only going to drive yourself crazy. Get something now to enjoy while you are waiting, and then decide later about the upgrade :wink:

May 12, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #3,285 of 9,406
Take the microSD card out? Also, did you just load anything new in it? And maybe try another USB cord if you have it plugged in?
Yup, tried all that. I think AK needs to look at this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back