New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,211 of 9,409
I wonder if, over time, software gets slightly corrupted and installing new software just cleans things up. I believe A&K when it says, no change. So either it's phantom changes or clean install just makes a slight difference.

If a firmware update changes the operations of the SOC, theoretically the sound may change. This is based on the my understanding that SOC chips tend to generate quite a bit of noise. Rob Watts from Chord had a lot to say about this in another thread. If one were to stretch this theory further, the SS and CU chassis may have different characteristics in dealing with EMI/RFI coming off the SOC chips which may also alter sound.

I'm no expert, but I suspect if any of the above is true, the sound differences would be really subtle. Probably grasping for answers though :nerd:

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #3,212 of 9,409
It's still disappointing that any OTA updates and streaming audio apps on AK DAPs require your network firewall to have ICMP enabled. No other iOS or Android device requires this. If you have ICMP enabled on your firewall, the biggest concern is that your IP is now discoverable by any device on the internet. That itself doesn't mean you are at a higher security risk, but remaining anonymous on the internet is a good practice. I've got 20+ internet connected devices on my home network (Apple TV, Nest Thermostat, ADP Security, etc.) and a multiple of apps that run on them. Not a single one requires ICMP to be enabled. Only AK DAPs require this so I have to tether my SP1000 to my iPhone to get the firmware download.

@JasonNYC this is a simple and important change that AK needs to make in their OS. This is the #1 reason why I have not signed up for Tidal. No way to stream from my home network unless I enabled ICMP on my firewall. No way I am willing to do that.
@bflat

Spoke to a few people in our development department. You are correct, the SP1000 does require ICMP ping enabled on your network router/firewall. All other AK players do not. This was added as a test on the SP1000, but there are plans to remove this requirement in a future firmware update. I do not have an ETA, but it is already in the pipeline for change before I brought up your concerns with the team.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3,213 of 9,409
I wonder if, over time, software gets slightly corrupted and installing new software just cleans things up.

Not intending to be rude but this is nonsense.

"I do not know what you're talking about"
I'm talking about the sound ... about the sound signature...

I'm sorry if my unorthodox comments are against official positions (informations), but I hear that.

Official information (many people say) that there is no difference between the voice of the SS and the CU version, but I've heard clearly distinct differences.

CIEM. Spiral Ears SE5 ultimate
DAP: AK SP1000 CU

They're talking about the difference between firmware updates not the difference between SS and CU version.

The SS and CU may have different sound signatures but the firmware updates do not change the sound according to AK.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #3,214 of 9,409
"firmware updates do not change the sound according to AK" See- which was my original post. But since people have reported hearing changes, I put out an idea (which I don't necessarily believe in) re firmware corruption.

We are just throwing out ideas. The only ones who really know have already said no changes in sound. I hear no changes in sound between A&K firmwares. Others do, including someone who does good reviews and has good ears. Hence my comment.

Oh, and when you say "Not intending to be rude but this is nonsense," that IS rude.

Let's move on.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #3,215 of 9,409
Hi guys, got a newb question, can the sp1000 link to my android phone through bluetooth or wifi, and then play as a dac that way?

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,217 of 9,409
"firmware updates do not change the sound according to AK" See- which was my original post. But since people have reported hearing changes, I put out an idea (which I don't necessarily believe in) re firmware corruption.

We are just throwing out ideas. The only ones who really know have already said no changes in sound. I hear no changes in sound between A&K firmwares. Others do, including someone who does good reviews and has good ears. Hence my comment.

Oh, and when you say "Not intending to be rude but this is nonsense," that IS rude.

Let's move on.

For the record, that "someone" didn't hear any difference going from 1.07 to 1.08 on SP1000 SS :wink: But if you refer to another "someone", than nvm :p

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #3,218 of 9,409
:) I was referring to that "someone" hearing a difference between 1.06 and 1.07 on the SS. I have yet to hear a difference in A&K firmware updates. However, when I had an X5 and Fiio kept pushing out firmware updates and others made custom firmwares as well, I did hear differences.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,220 of 9,409
You can use Bluetooth pairing and use it as a dac with your phone but hi-res will be bw limited. I don't know of anyway to use it as a WiFi streamer.

Thanks. I also read that sp1000 can connect via DLNA app. What does that mean?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #3,221 of 9,409
Screenshot_20180427-114348_AK Connect.jpg
Hi guys, got a newb question, can the sp1000 link to my android phone through bluetooth or wifi, and then play as a dac that way?

That's one of my usage, so sure. There's android app call AK connect to transfer via wifi or wifi direct from android phone to (almost) AK daps.
More detail I use on the go:
Android phones with ak connect - tidal source and/or phone storage tracks - 4G net work - sp1000 - ske1500.

It means 4G android can use 4G in both draw track data and then push it to AK daps same time.

Edit: draw a track over 4G and push it to AK require both 4G and Wifi spot function works same time on your android device, and it dêpnding on your device(not all android can do it)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #3,222 of 9,409
does sp1000 support fully mqa, wonder if there is a dap that does support mqa tidal

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #3,223 of 9,409
So I ended up getting the sp1000, just couldnt resist. One question though, do you guys get problems sometimes browsing through folder option? The circle keeps spinning and doesnt load up any files, but when i browse through artist or album everything is fine. I updated the firmware to 1.08

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #3,224 of 9,409
So I ended up getting the sp1000, just couldnt resist. One question though, do you guys get problems sometimes browsing through folder option? The circle keeps spinning and doesnt load up any files, but when i browse through artist or album everything is fine. I updated the firmware to 1.08
congratulation!
I mostly use the folder option to navigate through the various folders and I never had any issue with a spinning wheel, does it happens with both the internal memory and the sd card?

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3,225 of 9,409
If it is a new player, it takes a few boots to fully index all the files, which is why you may be seeing the spinning circle a few times. You can force a full manual index all at once by going to settings, Default Settings, Initialize media scan.

Depending on the number of songs, it can take up to 10 - 15 minutes to fully index, but on average only takes a few minutes. You will see a message in the notification bar saying "Scanning media"

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back