New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,200 of 9,406
There may be one scenario that could work - If you have the USB 3.0 CCK, it comes with a lightning cable pass through. You would connect the CCK to the iPad (or even iPhone), then connect a lightning cable to the CCK that is powered by charger or power bank, then connect use the USB port on the CCK to connect to your SP1000. While I think this will technically work, it's completely unpractical imho.
It doesn't work; I tried it.

:frowning2:

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #3,202 of 9,406
There is a new fw 1.08
- Three-column view option added on the album, CD library menu
- Show song title, artist, album name when there is no lyrics
- Improved other operational stability
- Spanish Added (Spanish may not be available in some countries)

SP1000 Cu sounds a little bit warmer and smoother under the new fw 1.08. The bass punch is kind of stronger.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #3,203 of 9,406
Just updated SP1000 SS to fw1.08 - the sound tonality is identical to fw1.07. The download and update of firmware was very fast. I almost feel like soundstage with 1.08 is a touch wider, but can't say for sure since it's not a true A/B comparison in real time.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #3,206 of 9,406
It's still disappointing that any OTA updates and streaming audio apps on AK DAPs require your network firewall to have ICMP enabled. No other iOS or Android device requires this. If you have ICMP enabled on your firewall, the biggest concern is that your IP is now discoverable by any device on the internet. That itself doesn't mean you are at a higher security risk, but remaining anonymous on the internet is a good practice. I've got 20+ internet connected devices on my home network (Apple TV, Nest Thermostat, ADP Security, etc.) and a multiple of apps that run on them. Not a single one requires ICMP to be enabled. Only AK DAPs require this so I have to tether my SP1000 to my iPhone to get the firmware download.

@JasonNYC this is a simple and important change that AK needs to make in their OS. This is the #1 reason why I have not signed up for Tidal. No way to stream from my home network unless I enabled ICMP on my firewall. No way I am willing to do that.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,207 of 9,406
Just updated SP1000 SS to fw1.08 - the sound tonality is identical to fw1.07. The download and update of firmware was very fast. I almost feel like soundstage with 1.08 is a touch wider, but can't say for sure since it's not a true A/B comparison in real time.
Exactly!
I updated yesterday, the soundstage became wider, the tonality did not change.
Perhaps a little less high tones can be heard, but this may be due to widening the space.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #3,208 of 9,406
Exactly!
I updated yesterday, the soundstage became wider, the tonality did not change.
Perhaps a little less high tones can be heard, but this may be due to widening the space.
AK does not change the sound with a firmware update. I don’t know what you’re talking about but it’s not the sound that has changed in any case. Must be different earphones you’re using.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #3,209 of 9,406
I wonder if, over time, software gets slightly corrupted and installing new software just cleans things up. I believe A&K when it says, no change. So either it's phantom changes or clean install just makes a slight difference.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #3,210 of 9,406
AK does not change the sound with a firmware update. I don’t know what you’re talking about but it’s not the sound that has changed in any case. Must be different earphones you’re using.
"I do not know what you're talking about"
I'm talking about the sound ... about the sound signature...

I'm sorry if my unorthodox comments are against official positions (informations), but I hear that.

Official information (many people say) that there is no difference between the voice of the SS and the CU version, but I've heard clearly distinct differences.

CIEM. Spiral Ears SE5 ultimate
DAP: AK SP1000 CU

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back