New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 13, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,611 of 9,409
Screenshot_20180113-172615.jpg
Screenshot_20180113-172555.jpg
Why dont we owners of SP1000 have good PEQ like the one in UAPP (android app) ?

We DO NEED one of the best peq and crossfeed feature as that in uapp.
Screenshot_20180113-172555.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,613 of 9,409
For those living in Japan (specifically Tokyo), do you know of any shops that stock SP1000 accessories, such as cases, and pouches? When I was back in Tokyo in November/December, all I could find in E-Earphone and the various Yodobashi & BIC Camera stores were screen protectors and a couple of huge pouches (that were a little too big). I'll be heading to Tokyo again in February/March, so I'd appreciate it a lot if a kind soul could point me in the right direction. Thanks! :)

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,615 of 9,409
And maybe don't take your wife this time so you can more easily browse to your heart's content. :)
Yeah, that would be the plan. Except.. My wife doesn't trust me to be alone in an audio store. The temptations are real. :D

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #2,617 of 9,409
Looking for a balanced battery operated tube AMP for the A&K SP1000 ? Look no further.... even though it is more transportable than portable (130 x 44 x 180 [mm] ) :)

But... If it sound even better than my wonderful TU-05, then it is worth the extra weight...

Note that the Tur-08 is hybrid, so it is more powerful than Woo WA8, and battery life will be over 6 hours.

Very very nice external Amp. A very serious competitor to the Mass Kombo 404 for Balanced amp king... I wonder which is best ?

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #2,618 of 9,409
A little bit off sujet, but I need advices: I have been told by several people that they hear that the AIFF (un-compressed) versions are better than the ALAC (or FLAC) versions. So I tried to listen to several identical tracks in AIFF and ALAC, and... I have hard time to hear the difference !

-> do you really hear a difference ? on what aspect of the Sound signature I should concentrate to hear the difference ? What Format do you use yourself most (compresses or uncompressed) ?

thanks a lot for your advices

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #2,620 of 9,409
A little bit off sujet, but I need advices: I have been told by several people that they hear that the AIFF (un-compressed) versions are better than the ALAC (or FLAC) versions. So I tried to listen to several identical tracks in AIFF and ALAC, and... I have hard time to hear the difference !

-> do you really hear a difference ? on what aspect of the Sound signature I should concentrate to hear the difference ? What Format do you use yourself most (compresses or uncompressed) ?

thanks a lot for your advices
ALAC and FLAC are lossless compression so that after decompressing, the data should be identical with AIFF. It is possible that there may be a chance of error but it would be extremely small chance. Also decompression of the compressed data takes an extra processing power. However, the current computers including smartphones are powerful enough to handle decompression without any problem. Another possible difference would be a digital noise associated with decompressing processing. But I believe it would be very subtle. So to me, there should not be any clearly audible difference between AIFF and ALAC/FLAC.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,621 of 9,409
Thanks.

Indeed digital noise associated with the decompressing processing could make the difference.
I will depend may be of the server quality and power ?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #2,622 of 9,409
To me AIFF/WAV does sound better than ALAC/FLAC.
The difference of course is very subtle, with the former I hear better resolution/separation, faster attack and overall more “naturalness”.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #2,623 of 9,409
To me AIFF/WAV does sound better than ALAC/FLAC.
The difference of course is very subtle, with the former I hear better resolution/separation, faster attack and overall more “naturalness”.
On the subject of digital CD file formats, apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask but does anyone have experience with the AK CD Ripper MKII?

I wonder if the Ripper MKII could yield better-sounding rips than a typical laptop & USB CD drive setup, especially if the Ripper MKII was powered by some sort of audiophile-grade battery power supply. No doubt many would argue 1 & 0's are the same regardless of how a rip is made, but there's also issues of timing and jitter to consider.

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2,624 of 9,409
On the subject of digital CD file formats, apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask but does anyone have experience with the AK CD Ripper MKII?

I wonder if the Ripper MKII could yield better-sounding rips than a typical laptop & USB CD drive setup, especially if the Ripper MKII was powered by some sort of audiophile-grade battery power supply. No doubt many would argue 1 & 0's are the same regardless of how a rip is made, but there's also issues of timing and jitter to consider.

I have. The MKII is a miracle machine when you still have a big cd collection like me. It´s even better with an external power bank and better usb cables, but it´s very costly. Only for connossieurs...

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,625 of 9,409
I have. The MKII is a miracle machine when you still have a big cd collection like me. It´s even better with an external power bank and better usb cables, but it´s very costly. Only for connossieurs...
Can you describe the sonic differences between the AK CD ripper and a regular computer ripper?
Why do you recommend using an external power bank (as opposed to plugging it to a computer or wall outlet)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back