New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 25, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #2,641 of 9,406
I recently purchased a music track (352.8kHz/24bit/FLAC) from HDTrack. On my SP1000Cu, it plays the track at 2x speed with periodic popping noise. I have some similar DXD FLAC files at 352.8kHz sampling that SP1000Cu has no problem playing.
The music track can be played without problem by Hugo 2 and ACRO L1000, which means the file itself is ok.
@JasonNYC, any suggestion on this problem? Is there any known issue with the current firmware?
I assume you are on firmware 1.06, correct?

Is it possible to tell me what the track is so I can have our team take a look please? You can PM me if you want. Thanks!

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #2,642 of 9,406
I assume you are on firmware 1.06, correct?

Is it possible to tell me what the track is so I can have our team take a look please? You can PM me if you want. Thanks!
I don't remember the version number, but I'm sure it is the latest.
The track is "I was made for lovin' you" by Eldissa. But on HDTrack, it is listed as "Chlara" by "I was made for lovin' you".
I think it's a simple listing mistake on HDTrack. ID3 tag is correct.

Thank you, @JasonNYC.

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #2,643 of 9,406
Thanks.

Indeed digital noise associated with the decompressing processing could make the difference.
I will depend may be of the server quality and power ?

A FLAC decoded to AIFF will be identical to the AIFF it was made from, so the only reasonable explanation for AIFF sounding better would be that the increased processing done by the player decompressing FLAC generates more internal noise, affecting analog components.

On the subject of digital CD file formats, apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask but does anyone have experience with the AK CD Ripper MKII?

I wonder if the Ripper MKII could yield better-sounding rips than a typical laptop & USB CD drive setup, especially if the Ripper MKII was powered by some sort of audiophile-grade battery power supply. No doubt many would argue 1 & 0's are the same regardless of how a rip is made, but there's also issues of timing and jitter to consider.

Jitter has nothing to do with stored digital data of any kind. It only has to do with possible effects on the reconstruction of analog waveforms, during the actual reconstruction, ie: playback. Copying the digital data isn't affected.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,644 of 9,406
My portable system ( A&K SP1000SS + SHURE KSE1500 + MandarinES Symbio N eartips) just got upgraded with a BRIMAR 16x cable.

I will report later the sound change with the previous Labkabke cable.

Note : the cable has direction which have been preset during the cooking process and the 3.5mm connector with BRIMAR's logo recommended to plug into the source side

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,645 of 9,406
My portable system ( A&K SP1000SS + SHURE KSE1500 + MandarinES Symbio N eartips) just got upgraded with a BRIMAR 16x cable.

I will report later the sound change with the previous Labkabke cable.

Note : the cable has direction which have been preset during the cooking process and the 3.5mm connector with BRIMAR's logo recommended to plug into the source side

Nice setup! Beautiful IC.

I'm still with my Lavricables though. I've bough a second one: angled L-shaped minijacks, 5cm short and 14-cores of silver inside. It sounds great. I hope to test Brimar in the future too.

I also wanted to recommend you guys upgrading into Snugs ear-shells, which changed my KSE1500 into a CIEM. And it is an end-game solution now. Snugs is from the UK, you have Sensaphonics in the US too, but I haven't tested them. Snugs cost around 200 GBP. After the upgrade, one may use a de-esser preset on the built in EQ, as sometimes vocals may have some metal "s" to them. Otherwise, it's a killer headphone now.

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #2,647 of 9,406
Hi. I'm enjoying my SP1000cu. It's a thing of beauty!

However, I'm struggling to get it to fast charge. I have QC3.0 based chargers and a Google Chromebook Pixel charger. These will all fast charge my Google Chromebook, Pixel phone etc but won't fast charge my SP1000. Does the SP1000 need to be off to fast charge?

I have a Google pixel xl and I tried using the Google phone pixel charger to charge the AK. However, it does not work very well. It seems that the pixel is using the PD usb C quick charge and not on the QC charging.

If I were to use my Pixel PD charger to charge my AK, it charges super slow, so slow that if I am using and charging at the sametime, the battery will deplete instead.

Try using chargers from Samsung or anyone with QC will solve the issue.

Jan 28, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,649 of 9,406
Hi. I'm enjoying my SP1000cu. It's a thing of beauty!

However, I'm struggling to get it to fast charge. I have QC3.0 based chargers and a Google Chromebook Pixel charger. These will all fast charge my Google Chromebook, Pixel phone etc but won't fast charge my SP1000. Does the SP1000 need to be off to fast charge?
My SP1000 fast charges from my wife's LG charger, my Samsung charger, and also from an Anker 5-port USB hub (with QC3.0 ports). It fast charges whether it's turned on or off. I'm not even using the cable that came in the package, but the aforementioned LG and Samsung-branded cables. I can't see why you're having a problem, though. :/

Jan 28, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #2,650 of 9,406
Ooh, that looks really pretty, Gavin! Did you get that somewhere off the shelf in Tokyo?

Thanks!

A friend of mine recommended a shop that does custom wrapping for phones and even the exotic looking SP1000 / other AK products such as AK380 (similar wrapping like dbrand) in Hong Kong. Cost 38 USD and 50 minutes of waiting.
Their facebook [link].

IMG_20180127_223702.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,652 of 9,406
:_ Just wrapped my iPhone with dbrand last week. Mahogany, along with a new tempered glass screen protector. However, replacement cost for an iPhone is waaaayyyyy less than an SP1000. I'll keep that one in a case. :)

Jan 29, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #2,653 of 9,406
I don't remember the version number, but I'm sure it is the latest.
The track is "I was made for lovin' you" by Eldissa. But on HDTrack, it is listed as "Chlara" by "I was made for lovin' you".
I think it's a simple listing mistake on HDTrack. ID3 tag is correct.

Thank you, @JasonNYC.
@Giraku just sent you a follow up PM

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #2,654 of 9,406
I'm new owner of the SP1000. I'm really impressed with the OS with an amazing GUI... this was not the case with the Cowon P2 that has a great sound but lacks of usability despite of some great feature the SP1000 don't have.
Great DLNA implementation !
but i'm missing Mass storage USB (not MTP) (I'm having trouble to sync with Music bee player)
I'm also missing a feature to disable charge when it's plugged on a computer/phone and used has external DAC
I'm missing optical (SPDIF) output with USB DAC

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,655 of 9,406
Alright, I finally got an SP1000 SS to go with my KSE1500. I'm happy to report that I can comfortably walk around with the SP1000 and the KSE amp strapped together in my jeans pocket (well, not as comfortably as with the AK120II, but comfortably enough). I didn't get to try a Cu, but I don't sufficiently baby my gear, so I opted to go for the SS for better durability.

Those of you with a KSE + SP1000, what are you doing for cases (for transportation, not for listening)? Wondering if the Pelican 1040 might fit them both together (with no case on the SP1000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back