New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jan 7, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,596 of 9,406
I really enjoy the combination Encore+TWag V3 T+ WM1Z treble and mid are extremely crispy, so much details, not for everyone, still I really enjoy it, but it's not a very relaxing combo.

Lately I've been using the Encore with the Thor silver ll and the SP1000cu, a little less brilliant, it add some smoothness, the overall sound signature has more air and is less fatigue.

The perfect Dap for me would be one with the details and resolution of the SP1000 + the smoothness, musicality and analog sound of the AK380. :wink:

Jan 7, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,597 of 9,406
The perfect Dap for me would be one with the details and resolution of the SP1000 + the smoothness, musicality and analog sound of the AK380. :wink:

Do we have an equation :
details and resolution of the SP1000 + the smoothness, musicality and analog sound of the AK380 = SP1000 CU ?
(I've not listened sp1000cu yet)

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,599 of 9,406
For me, a dedicated treble-head, using a Moon silver cable (now sold) on my SP1000SS gave me a bit too much treble (splashy in the very upper end) using my now sold JH Angie. My Zeus XR came with a silver/copper Whiplash and was definitely too bright. A copper Ares ll brought things back into proper alignment. The SS version gives a lot of detail in the upper end (which is why I love it) but correct cabling needs to be used to control that detail. My combo might still be a bit too bright/fatiguing for some, but for me the sound is now perfect.

I prefer a silver cable than a silver plater copper cable, the silver plated cable try to enhance the treble but fails to provide the details and the sparkles of a proper silver cable.
I sold all my silver plated cables and now I mostly rely on copper or silver cables (with the exception of a gold plated silver, but in this case the gold add a splash of warmth without sacrifyng the treble, i pair it with the SE5U)

Jan 7, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #2,600 of 9,406
It all comes down to what each cable is connected to- on both ends. My Moon Silver Dragon was perfect with an AK240SS but splashy at the top with the SP1000SS using an Angie. The hybrid Whiplash was simply too hot for me with the SP1000SS-Zeus XR combo but the copper Ares ll, while bright, is perfect. It also depends on our individual ears and preferred sound signature.

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #2,603 of 9,406
I think details and smoothness often cannot come together.

Just yesterday evening, I´ve found the solution to my problems. I´ve written about it on King Rudi´s FB page, if you´re interested.....

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,604 of 9,406
For me, a dedicated treble-head, using a Moon silver cable (now sold) on my SP1000SS gave me a bit too much treble (splashy in the very upper end) using my now sold JH Angie. My Zeus XR came with a silver/copper Whiplash and was definitely too bright. A copper Ares ll brought things back into proper alignment. The SS version gives a lot of detail in the upper end (which is why I love it) but correct cabling needs to be used to control that detail. My combo might still be a bit too bright/fatiguing for some, but for me the sound is now perfect.
Yeah, one of the SP1000's chief strengths is its ability to present highs with loads of flourish and sparkle. For trebleheads, they probably can't get enough of it, but for me, I'm a little sensitive to strident highs, so I like to tame it a little. Everything else on the SP1000 is perfect, to be honest. :)

I really enjoy the combination Encore+TWag V3 T+ WM1Z treble and mid are extremely crispy, so much details, not for everyone, still I really enjoy it, but it's not a very relaxing combo.

Lately I've been using the Encore with the Thor silver ll and the SP1000cu, a little less brilliant, it add some smoothness, the overall sound signature has more air and is less fatigue.
The Encore is a really fluid IEM - it plays well with all of my DAPs. Give it a top-notch source, and it'll scale up, no problem. Fantastic!

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,605 of 9,406
Quick tip for using the balanced out. If you do connect your AK DAP to a balanced amp, you will need a ground if your amp is connected to AC. For my ALO CDM, I used the USB port for ground but realized that is not ideal. I made a simple interconnect using 2 x 3.5mm connectors and only wired the ground. I connected my ground cable from the AK 3.5mm to the ALO CDM 3.5mm input in addition to the 2.5mm connection between the 2. This works well and eliminates the ground loop noise.

One more note - if you connect both cables while the AK DAP is powered on, you want to connect ground cable first, then balanced. It seems the AK DAP auto switches output to the last plug that is inserted. Otherwise, the AK DAP will try to output to 3.5mm. However, if you have both cables plugged in before powering up the AK DAP, it will default to balanced out.

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,607 of 9,406
Guys, can anybody plz tell me the pinout of SP1000's USB C? I would like to have a custom USB OTG cable made for using my SP1000 as transport. Standard (=cheap) USB C (adapter) cables for Apple and Android devices work fine with SP1000. So the SP1000 seems to have standard USB C pinout. Many thanks for your help!! :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,609 of 9,406

Users who are viewing this thread

Back