New to the world of headphones! Don't have a single pair of my own, looking to buy!
Sep 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

headsounds

100+ Head-Fier
Cliff Notes: I want to aquire comfortable, closed, around the ear headphones that have an emphasis on range and balance, clarity and imaging only using 100 dollars. Is this possible? How?

I hope that these kind of threads aren't terribly common, or frustrating....

So I've already started looking at the head-fi buyers guide, the terms and definitions, and various post/threads about the best headphones for the money.

Basically, I want to invest 100 dollars in a hopefully great pair of headphones. I am willing to mod them, buy new/used parts, whatever. If all you veterans had 100 dollars to get/make the best imaging, range and clarity (my top three without having much experience with headphones) headphones possible.

I will be using these headphones in an area that has a decent amount of white and background noise, so I think I need closed headphones.

I need the headphones to be very comfortable, because my skin is very sensitive to pressure.

Also because of that, I think I need around the ears headphones, because on the ear headphones will put more pressure on my ears, and allow in more outside noise.

I listen to ALL types of music. Whatever suits my mood at the time. Because of this, I feel that range is very important. On any given day, I can listen to flute solos, spanish guitar duets, heavy metal, jazz, heavy electronic music, opera, country... seriously.

I want to be able to hear, clearly, very low bass frequencies all the way up.

Is all this even possible?

I greatly appreciate your time and consideration.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks,

the only headphones that seemed to be my liking (albiet more money than I want to spend) from that list were the  Brainwavz HM5 headphones, but after reading some reviews, I'm back at square one.

I am also not afraid to buy new/used and modify the headphones.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Thanks,

the only headphones that seemed to be my liking (albiet more money than I want to spend) from that list were the  Brainwavz HM5 headphones, but after reading some reviews, I'm back at square one.

I am also not afraid to buy new/used and modify the headphones.

I believe I saw the HM5 on the deals thread for pre order for $100 with a nifty headphone stand on mp4nation

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 12
So even though the Fischer Audio FA-011 is slightly more expensive, seems to need an amp (which I know nothing about except that it will be an additional expense) and has a hit or miss build quality, I really want to buy them. The reviews on it are just so compelling, people really seem to have fun with them.

They are also open, and I'm not sure how sound quality will be affected when I'm at work. There are fans running constantly to cool large computer towers.

Brainwavz HM5 also are better with an amp, and the build quality seems better overall and more consistant. Maybe I don't want a monitor?

They are so different, I really want to try both, has anyone listened to both the FA-011 and HM5?

Oh, and although I listen to all types of music, my brain is most satisfied with low, juicy, intricate bass. The FA-011 seems to be great for bass, but also handles all genres well, whereas the HM5 has wonderful reproduction but makes having less than perfect recordings annoying to listen to.

I need to learn about amps, and how expensive they are...

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 12
I will be plugging into a desktop computer most of the time, a home entertainment system once in awhile, and a laptop infrequently. I just want my budget headphones to sound the best possible for the least amount of money.

I only have an old Sony Walkman CD player for "portable music." After I get the headphones, I'll maybe look into portable players. I don't really listen to music on the go, other than in my car, and I think there are laws against using headphones in a vehicle. (maybe not, dunno) I don't even know how to get music onto devices like an Ipod... Would I have to buy every song? If so than I'll just use desktops. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 12
Just an update, I ended up ordering the Brainwavz HM5 headphones as my first HIFI experience.

I hope they don't disappoint me! My expectations for headphone sound quality might be too high, as I used to have a very high end car audio system.

Anyways, I'll start a thread on my first impressions when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back