New to headphones, looking to move away from my Bose ( Need more bass )
Oct 14, 2011 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sub Focus

New Head-Fier
Hello, very new to the world of headphones, I purchased a pair of Bose headphones a while back because I listened to some and they sounded amazing to my virgin ears.

Now I've always been big on electronic music, pref DnB, so I would like some advice on what to get. So my question is, what are the best headphones for me that sound better than Bose, that won't break the bank ( <150 ) with deep, rich bass.

Leaning towards "Sennheiser HD-280 PRO Headphones".

A friend of mine has told me that Senn. is what I should be aiming for.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 9
the HD280 is definitely not what you are looking for. Heres a list 

Ultrasone HFI-580

Sony XB500, XB700

V-Moda Crossfades

There is a list made by a few Head fi'ers (me included) on the thread the basshead club in my signature.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Okay, I appreciate all of the advice, I sort of feel like I'm being too picky for my first set of " real " headphones, but I just want to invest in a nice pair that will last me a while, and play a broad range of music that sounds great.

So are the Sony XB700s a nice pair of first headphones? 

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Many XB700 owners EQ the treble higher and to me that is not the most ideal way of listening to a headphone. The Ultrasone is being recommended a lot lately and most people seems to be happy with it. Can you audition any of those cans ?

Oct 14, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 9
I know, I know, I sound like a broken record from the 70's: Sony MDR-V6's.  When Head-Fi was young and Jude was still a youngling, the Sony's were at the top of the heap.  They're still available for about $75 from many places, about $25 higher if you purchase the gold-plated plug version MDR-7506's. B&H Photo can sell you some after-market velour headphone pads that are great and highly recommended.  Beyerdynamic DT-250 pads used to be the best, but they didn't come with a foam liner (Sony started gluing the foam liner into their pads.) and cost a lot more.  Anyway, you can get the entire combo from B&H for a little over $85.  They blow away any pair of Bose or Beats with bass as low as you'll hear in any headphone and a studio-craving focus on high-end detail.  The main complaint these days is that they have recessed mids and no soundstage (endemic with closed headphones), but to a noob, they can last for several years with the velour cushions before you find something better.  They're also highly efficient and can be driven by many low-power sources.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 9
I got one for you.. Read about them on my thread. The Panasonic HTF600. Similar bass slam as the Sony XBs  but one big difference.. Nothing lacking on the rest of the sound signature..And only cost $30.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/571005/the-panasonic-rp-htf600-s-headphones-more-fun-than-the-hd650/570#post_7827060  Go to the beginning of the thread and read up on Malveaux review on them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back