New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a new headphone! Please help!!!
Oct 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #107 of 137
I have heard many times that the YAMAHA MT220  are great overall headphones. How do these headphones compare to the momentum now that i have ruled out hp50 and m50x in terms of detail. Because not only do i care about details like the old audiophile crowd, I also care about the energizing and impactful sound that young people or more specifically millennials prefer these days. Maybe i will really buy the yamaha mt220. It is a lot cheaper than the momentum.  Anyways, people give me your thoughts on the sound and  ergonomics of this headphone. Greatly appreciated!!!!! 

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #108 of 137
I assumed there was a reason you were only looking at those 3 cans, if there's not, then ya, MT220's could be what you're looking for. DT990's, HP150's, X1's, and DT770's could all also work for you better than the other options mentioned. Your initial question was such a wide budget, I got confused.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #109 of 137
What do you guys think about the Yamaha PRO 500 High-Fidelity Premium Over-Ear Headphones. Just looking at its specs is making me tingle all over my body. 50mm drivers, 23 ohms impedance, smartphone functionality included along with 1000mw of input power. . If you guys can give your approval to this headphone in a honest manner than i can buy it with no regrets. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #110 of 137
  What do you guys think about the Yamaha PRO 500 High-Fidelity Premium Over-Ear Headphones. Just looking at its specs is making me tingle all over my body. 50mm drivers, 23 ohms impedance, smartphone functionality included along with 1000mw of input power. . If you guys can give your approval to this headphone in a honest manner than i can buy it with no regrets. Thanks!

dude the specs of size of drivers, impedance, and smartphone cable has absolutely no correlation with a pair of headphone's actual performance.

different headphones have different frequency responses (aka sound signature) that can be measured by FR graphs. unless you have listened to a few headphones and know what kind of sound signature you are looking for, this is all kind of pointless. there are a ton of great headphone options, but it's impossible to say which one will suit you the best just going off internet impressions. there are people who enjoy or hate the same pair of headphones. you really need to listen to the headphones yourself and see what you like about them or what you don't like. Then you can figure out exactly what kind of frequency response you are looking for and that will help you pick.

it honestly sounds like you are just looking for a pair of headphones that have 'audiophile cred.' in that case just grab the classic open options such as the beyer dt770/880/990 or akg q701/k701/k702/k712/k612 or sennheiser hd600/hd650. A closed option that makes you seem really audiophile-y and baller is the Mr. speaker mad dog/alpha dogs (mooded Fostex T50RP).

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #111 of 137
get both yamahas and send back the loser :p

i think the MT220 sounded superior to the Momentum n Nad..
it is clear, big sounding, thumping bass (right now. LEE RiTenour is hitting hard :p )
guitar is ALIVE...vocals too, Mariah CAREY is up next..upfront n breathing, minty. LoL

switching over to John Williams...spacious..sprawling sound.

I am using playing it off my McAir, loaded with Audirvana music software, AIFF music files..
the MT220 plugged straight into the laptop. simple setup..great great sound.

=====

just plugged directly into my samsung Note 1 playing Wav files...
again beautiful spacios music u gonna get. nothing bloaty.
Listening to HOTEL CALIFORNIA...thummmmmping...reverbs.. 
gals screaming in the crowd.. guitars airyyy.

DARK KNIGHT ARISES...all the backstreet low rumble,
n electronic sound in the darksky of Gotham City...all clearly heard
.. what a treat off a fone sitting at Macdonalds.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #113 of 137
Where are all these reviews saying the m50x has harsh treble? I'm currently looking for $150ish over the ear phones with closed backs too, and above anything else, my sonic preference is smooth highs that are non-fatiguing and not too analytical/bright/harsh, so that modern music sounds engaging and enjoyable, and my search so far has lead me to consider the m50x as a top contender.

From innerfidelity, "the treble is lively yet free from harshness" ... "When I acclimated to the ATH-M50x for long listening sessions, it was a wonderfully pleasing experience." Innerfidelity, as well as Amazon reviews, describe the older version m50 as sometimes sounding harsh in the treble, but that the m50x is void of that issue. Most Amazon reviews describe the highs as warm and not bright/harsh.

I still need to do a lot of research on head-fi, but what's going on here... do people have different definitions of harshness? If it is true that the m50x's exhibit harsh treble, especially at high volumes, then I want nothing to do with them, lol.

For the record, I'm also considering the Sony MDR-1r, and I was the Senn Momentums and NAD hp50, but their definitely out of my price range.

Oh and Theseeker, I noticed you finally made up your mind after 4 months of searching, so I hope my comment doesn't make you second guess yourself, lol :)

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #114 of 137
Any headphone that has lifted treble will inevitably be viewed as harsh by someone. I'd say it's sparkly and decently smooth considering its speed. Any chance you could audition any of the cans?

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #115 of 137
Right on, yeah I'm going to audition whatever I can at Guitar Center sometime this week. Depending on what they have, or don't have, I might order some from Crutchfield (get some good deals through Discover rewards), and if I remember right, Crutchfield has an excellent return policy.

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #117 of 137
M50 highs are fine, it's the mids that are garbage. Still a good headphone tho.

I didn't find the treble too hot. It's the sound stage that was a deal breaker for me.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #118 of 137
I chose the Yamaha Pro 500 and plan to give it a try. Hopefully it works out to my liking and performs well with my smartphone and laptop! I also hope it works well for many years to come. I plan to keep it until something really big come about as in headphone technology or as long as this headphone is going to last. If anyone has opinions about this headphone please feel free to voice them. I will take them into account. Thanks for the help everyone!

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #119 of 137
Ok! My parents felt totally shocked when i purchased the Yamaha pro 500. The cost was $250 and the NY tax made it to a total of $270. I heard people claim they got this headphone for $150 and $200 which is a shock for me. But i needed a headphone immediately since i didn't have one at all. So, now that i have taken the massive plunge; can anyone give me a pretty accurate estimate as to how long(years) these headphones are going to last me!? I am a pretty careful with expensive goods and keep them in a proper location and also clean them properly when needed. So, please give me an estimate while taking this tad bit of information about me into account. Thanks a lot everyone!! Help is much appreciated!! 

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #120 of 137
  Ok! My parents felt totally shocked when i purchased the Yamaha pro 500. The cost was $250 and the NY tax made it to a total of $270. I heard people claim they got this headphone for $150 and $200 which is a shock for me. But i needed a headphone immediately since i didn't have one at all. So, now that i have taken the massive plunge; can anyone give me a pretty accurate estimate as to how long(years) these headphones are going to last me!? I am a pretty careful with expensive goods and keep them in a proper location and also clean them properly when needed. So, please give me an estimate while taking this tad bit of information about me into account. Thanks a lot everyone!! Help is much appreciated!! 

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Yamaha-High-Fidelity-Premium-Over-Ear-Headphones/product/B0092T84HQ?context=browse

yea, the pro 500 have been seen at severely discounted prices. i personally don't think they are worth their sticker price. headphones last forever as long as you don't drop them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back