New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a new headphone! Please help!!!
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

Theseeker7839

Head-Fier
Hi, I go by the name of Theseeker7839 and am brand new to the Head-Fi community! I heard that Head-Fi is a very experienced and friendly community and like helping people who do their homework. What I know about headphones is that a neutral Headphone will have a high resolution in terms of detail in the sound. Also a spacious sound and open soundstage are preferred in a good audiophile headphone. I have heard from many sources that a good neutral headphone sounds and feels "cold and distant" and devoid of "life" or richness or fullness to it from some people and others disagree. I hear these headphones produce accurate sound that is great in terms of analyzing and monitoring but are not really enjoyable to listen to. On the other hand , i have heard that there are warm and rich sounding headphone that don't sound accurate, have excessive bass and treble ,don't have a spacious sound and lack a good soundstage resulting in an unsatisfactory headstage. I personally love to have a trait of balance in music with audiophile grade detail and enjoyable lively sound at the same time. I guess "lush" music with great detail is what i prefer and don't like "colored" music. This might sound too ideal but please understand that i have never tried a headphone and have made my assumptions from what i heard on the internet. To give you an accurate view of my music experience I will name all the ear buds or in ear headphones i have used till now. They are skullcandy ink'd, skullcandy Titan, skullcandy 50/50 and V-Moda Remix Remote. I hope this gives a good idea to anyone willing to help me about my music experience. I would now like to give an idea of what kind of music i listen to. I listen to electronic music such as dubstep,trance,house and techno with a  taste in rock music that includes bands such as Korn, Disturbia , Fall out boy  to name a few. I also listen to trailer music of various genres such as Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, groove addicts( now known as Ninja Tracks), X Ray dog and many others of the same kind. This is my taste in music. I do however also want to mention that i love movies and gaming and accurate and impactful sound is what i would like to hear from these forms of media including the music. I shall now describe of what i know about the hardware aspect of the headphone. I have heard that impedance and sensitivity determine a lot of the choices people make when buying a headphone. Impedance is the actual resistance the headphone adds to the circuit.Sensitivity is just a measurement of how loud the headphones are at a specific output. These two factors decide whether you need to purchase  Amps and digital audio amplifiers to perfect your sound. They are equipment that enhance certain traits of the audio to the ideal preference of the audio listener from my understanding. I own a dell xps L502x laptop and an iphone 5c. I only use the laptop and iphone for all my entertainment needs( music,movies and gaming). I mentioned this because i heard that laptops come with some amount of amplification and thought knowing the equipment i use might help in the decision process of choosing a headphone. I want to make clear that i don't prefer amp dependent headphones at home and outside because i am not a very sophisticated user and heard you need a dedicated home equipment to make use of high quality , high impedance headphone and an amp wouldn't really help much. I prefer to handle things with simplicity and ease. I will now name a few headphones i have researched and found through highly reputable sources as Headroom and Innerfidelity. Both sources recommend the Audio Technica  ATH- M50x as a great headphone to buy for its price value. They also said that the M50x did a very good job and is a lot better than M50/M50s in terms of ergonomics( detachable cable) and sound quality( maintained famous sound signature and refined it more). The other headphone i have heard about is the NAD VISO HP 50 which is NAD's first headphone with room feel technology created by PSB's paul barton which is a sister company of NAD AND PSB's Parent company Lenbrook. This headphone is said to very flat sounding and neutral which gives a lot of refinement to detail in its sound and gives a relaxed laid back feeling according to headroom and innerfidelity. I also heard that it is not the best there is as some audiophiles feel it is a bit uneven at certain places and has a strong bass which they don't prefer but think is good overall. I head mentions about beyerdynamic dt770', ATH-A900x , sennheiser momentum and V-Moda m-100. I have heard about all these headphones as not being bad but not being well rounded either. I HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH AND READ ABOUT HEADPHONES TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITIES FROM GREAT AND WELL RESPECTED SOURCES. I HAVE ALSO USED FAMOUS HEAD-Fi RECOMMENDED TO BEGINNERS LIKE ME!  I hope some of you hopefully appreciate the effort i put in and give me expert advice and recommendations of headphones that reflect based on the aforementioned description of myself and would also like your own opinions. My end goal is to find a great first headphone that really impresses me and doesn't disappoint me in terms of accurate detail and lush sound. THANK YOU FOR HEARING ME OUT AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SOME GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS! THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 137
Welcome to Head-fi and all that but, want some advice?

1. There's far too many words here for one paragraph. Break it down a bit.

2. Lose the bold type. There's no need for it.

3. Follow step two and there's no need to capitalise towards the end.

Otherwise? Your wallet is toast.

:) :) :)

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 137

Hi, I go by the name of Theseeker7839 and am brand new to the Head-Fi community! I heard that Head-Fi is a very experienced and friendly community and like helping people who do their homework. What I know about headphones is that a neutral Headphone will have a high resolution in terms of detail in the sound. Also a spacious sound and open soundstage are preferred in a good audiophile headphone. I have heard from many sources that a good neutral headphone sounds and feels "cold and distant" and devoid of "life" or richness or fullness to it from some people and others disagree. I hear these headphones produce accurate sound that is great in terms of analyzing and monitoring but are not really enjoyable to listen to. On the other hand , i have heard that there are warm and rich sounding headphone that don't sound accurate, have excessive bass and treble ,don't have a spacious sound and lack a good soundstage resulting in an unsatisfactory headstage. I personally love to have a trait of balance in music with audiophile grade detail and enjoyable lively sound at the same time. I guess "lush" music with great detail is what i prefer and don't like "colored" music. This might sound too ideal but please understand that i have never tried a headphone and have made my assumptions from what i heard on the internet. To give you an accurate view of my music experience I will name all the ear buds or in ear headphones i have used till now. They are skullcandy ink'd, skullcandy Titan, skullcandy 50/50 and V-Moda Remix Remote. I hope this gives a good idea to anyone willing to help me about my music experience. I would now like to give an idea of what kind of music i listen to. I listen to electronic music such as dubstep,trance,house and techno with a  taste in rock music that includes bands such as Korn, Disturbia , Fall out boy  to name a few. I also listen to trailer music of various genres such as Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, groove addicts( now known as Ninja Tracks), X Ray dog and many others of the same kind. This is my taste in music. I do however also want to mention that i love movies and gaming and accurate and impactful sound is what i would like to hear from these forms of media including the music. I shall now describe of what i know about the hardware aspect of the headphone. I have heard that impedance and sensitivity determine a lot of the choices people make when buying a headphone. Impedance is the actual resistance the headphone adds to the circuit.Sensitivity is just a measurement of how loud the headphones are at a specific output. These two factors decide whether you need to purchase  Amps and digital audio amplifiers to perfect your sound. They are equipment that enhance certain traits of the audio to the ideal preference of the audio listener from my understanding. I own a dell xps L502x laptop and an iphone 5c. I only use the laptop and iphone for all my entertainment needs( music,movies and gaming). I mentioned this because i heard that laptops come with some amount of amplification and thought knowing the equipment i use might help in the decision process of choosing a headphone. I want to make clear that i don't prefer amp dependent headphones at home and outside because i am not a very sophisticated user and heard you need a dedicated home equipment to make use of high quality , high impedance headphone and an amp wouldn't really help much. I prefer to handle things with simplicity and ease. I will now name a few headphones i have researched and found through highly reputable sources as Headroom and Innerfidelity. Both sources recommend the Audio Technica  ATH- M50x as a great headphone to buy for its price value. They also said that the M50x did a very good job and is a lot better than M50/M50s in terms of ergonomics( detachable cable) and sound quality( maintained famous sound signature and refined it more). The other headphone i have heard about is the NAD VISO HP 50 which is NAD's first headphone with room feel technology created by PSB's paul barton which is a sister company of NAD AND PSB's Parent company Lenbrook. This headphone is said to very flat sounding and neutral which gives a lot of refinement to detail in its sound and gives a relaxed laid back feeling according to headroom and innerfidelity. I also heard that it is not the best there is as some audiophiles feel it is a bit uneven at certain places and has a strong bass which they don't prefer but think is good overall. I head mentions about beyerdynamic dt770', ATH-A900x , sennheiser momentum and V-Moda m-100. I have heard about all these headphones as not being bad but not being well rounded either. I HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH AND READ ABOUT HEADPHONES TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITIES FROM GREAT AND WELL RESPECTED SOURCES. I HAVE ALSO USED FAMOUS HEAD-Fi RECOMMENDED TO BEGINNERS LIKE ME!  I hope some of you hopefully appreciate the effort i put in and give me expert advice and recommendations of headphones that reflect based on the aforementioned description of myself and would also like your own opinions. My end goal is to find a great first headphone that really impresses me and doesn't disappoint me in terms of accurate detail and lush sound. THANK YOU FOR HEARING ME OUT AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SOME GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS! THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE!

This is just too long of a question for my brain absorb.
Maybe you could re-ask the question, but do it using less then half the words?

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 137
If open headphones are fine by you, I would have a look at the hifiman he-400 (buy used) or Philips fidelio x1 (can be found very cheaply new if you wait). I used to have m50s but the sound was very enclosed within your head so I think you would enjoy open headphones

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 137
I see that i have written far too much than was required.  Well I am glad to be frank. My music choices are trailer music such as two steps from hell, x ray music, groove addicts and audiomachine. I also love electronic music a lot which mostly includes dubstep, trance, house and techno. I also like modern rock  such as green day, fall out boy, korn,disturbia and linkin park along with certain variations of metal. I only use a laptop and iphone to fuel all my entertainment needs. I heard about how amazing the open headphones are and did learn about them but I don't live in an environment favorable to open headphones. It is a no - no for my family and friends including public places where i can't use them. I need a headphone that has good noise isolation  along with great mids,highs and lows along with lush , detailed sound.So, I am essentially looking for full size closed sealed headphones. The Audio technica ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP 50 that i heard were the most talked about headphones along with other headphones such as sennheiser momentum , V-Moda m-100 and some other prominent headphones. Right now i have read many differing opinions from various people and some of these sources include headroom and innerfidelity. I know head-fi is a very reputable community! So, I would like some expert advice from anyone including people that have already responded! Thank you!!!! 

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 137
Hello and welcome, it's great to see your enthusiasm, even if a bit wordy!

Can you set a hard budget limit to help us guide you? And yes, all of those choices are very well regarded, if not a bit bass-emphasized.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 137
  I see that i have written far too much than was required.  Well I am glad to be frank.

My music choices are trailer music such as two steps from hell, x ray music, groove addicts and audiomachine.
I also love electronic music a lot which mostly includes dubstep, trance, house and techno.
I also like modern rock  such as green day, fall out boy, korn,disturbia and linkin park along with certain variations of metal.

I only use a laptop and iphone to fuel all my entertainment needs. I heard about how amazing the open headphones are and did learn about them but I don't live in an environment favorable to open headphones. It is a no - no for my family and friends including public places where i can't use them.

I need a headphone that has good noise isolation  along with great mids,highs and lows along with lush , detailed sound.So, I am essentially looking for full size closed sealed headphones. The Audio technica ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP 50 that i heard were the most talked about headphones along with other headphones such as sennheiser momentum , V-Moda m-100 and some other prominent headphones.

Right now i have read many differing opinions from various people and some of these sources include headroom and innerfidelity. I know head-fi is a very reputable community! So, I would like some expert advice from anyone including people that have already responded! Thank you!!!! 

Wow... my eyes stopped working there for a moment...

Now what kind of price are you looking to spend on this impossible to get headphone that has great High's, Mid's, Low's, Isolation and Detail even...
blink.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 137
I see that i have written far too much than was required.  Well I am glad to be frank. My music choices are trailer music such as two steps from hell, x ray music, groove addicts and audiomachine. I also love electronic music a lot which mostly includes dubstep, trance, house and techno. I also like modern rock  such as green day, fall out boy, korn,disturbia and linkin park along with certain variations of metal. I only use a laptop and iphone to fuel all my entertainment needs. I heard about how amazing the open headphones are and did learn about them but I don't live in an environment favorable to open headphones. It is a no - no for my family and friends including public places where i can't use them. I need a headphone that has good noise isolation  along with great mids,highs and lows along with lush , detailed sound.So, I am essentially looking for full size closed sealed headphones. The Audio technica ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP 50 that i heard were the most talked about headphones along with other headphones such as sennheiser momentum , V-Moda m-100 and some other prominent headphones. Right now i have read many differing opinions from various people and some of these sources include headroom and innerfidelity. I know head-fi is a very reputable community! So, I would like some expert advice from anyone including people that have already responded! Thank you!!!! 
The HP50 is pretty uncolored from opinions I've read, the M50x isn't that colored but may be distracting because it isn't fully neutral, especially in the bass. The M-100 is much more colored and isn't really considered reference or studio grade so I wouldn't go with that.

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 137
 The budget i am willing to go up to is 300 dollars at best. My parents think it is crazy to spend 300 dollars on a headphone but i have learnt that you do need a hefty amount of cash for great headphones. This is my first closed sealed full size headphone, so i think i set a reasonable budget limit. I know that the NAD HP VISO 50. But the reason why i am hesitating a bit is because i heard people say the music you hear is very detail rich and analytical but feels dull, cold and distant. I want to be able to enjoy my music, kind of like getting high not that i use drugs. On, the other hand non neutral headphones destroy detail and that is a very unpleasant experience to me. That is why i am looking for a balance where i can get good detailed lively full range sound.
 Now that i have set a price amount can anyone recommend me a headphone that has been jury tested and can perform well. I have also heard that the sennheiser momentum over ear is a great headphone but is weak in certain places. So, I have realized  that no matter how much money you put on the table you would always find something lacking. But a compromise detail and other traits can get a good experience and it is that balance that i am looking for. Something close to the harman target curve!!!! 

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 137
Actually ALL the headphones you listed are excellent choices. Diving in to headphone addict world as a new person, you will find that some strong opinions are about quite small differences. So someone describing one phone as cold and another as warm is only a relative difference and not a huge one, objectively. Try some phones out, if you can, and then you can calibrate for yourself what the differences are and how much they matter to you.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 137
Having heard the HP50's, I think they'd be perfect for you. Pretty close to neutral, and very rich.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 137
 Everyone, thank you so much for recommending this for me. This might very rude but i mean no offense. I read on some headphone review website that the nad viso hp 50 felt cold and distant and that he loved his akg k267 and said it was only good as a analytical headphone. About the ath-m50x i heard that they were not very friendly ergonomically. They have detachable cables for the first time in this version but they are proprietary and that you can't get replacements on them . i felt uncomfortable about that and also the fact that it didn't have a remote and mic. I have expressed myself completely here and you guys still told me to get the  nad's so i will get these. Just to make sure not that i don't trust you guys. I want to confirm that the NAD viso have good bass and treble and will work well with genes i listen to most such as modern rock, electronic music like  dubstep, trailer music and little bit of metal. . If i offended anyone because i doubted their judgement, I am sorry. I just wanted  your advice in coordination with the genres i listen to. Thank you!

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 137
For this amount of money, it's best to ask as many questions as possible. When I tried them, I found them to be slightly warmer, darker, and richer than neutral... Just enough to make sure music always has some life. The designer of this headphone has been working on target EQ curves to make headphones that sound as natural and speaker like as possible, and he's on the right track. AKG is usually the 'analytical' brand... Interesting. Bass goes deep with good punch, and treble is detailed, present, but never aggressive. The mids probably are the focus, despite FR graphs showing stronger bass response. Modern electronic styles still sound super killer and engaging.

Jun 8, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 137
And avoid "paralysis by analysis". Make your best pick and enjoy music with them. If you wait until perfect perfection is achieved - well, it won't be. Listen to some headphones that you've mentioned and you'll be pleased with how good they are. You'll also learn that when someone's friend's uncle had a memory of an opinion of a perception - it's not always worth much. Listen and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back