New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a new headphone! Please help!!!
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #76 of 137
I know what you mean dj scope. But the regarding the  takstar pro 80 it is not properly aligned in terms of the earcups and i don't want to spend a extra 20 bucks on the hm5 earcups. Regarding mt220, they were being sold on amazon by a third party vendor called sonic sense for 249 who i don't know or have a clue about.  Therefore i would have doubts about the quality of the product they are giving me, On yamaha usa's website they were worth 399. Both these prices are way out of my budget. That is the reason i am so desperately trying to find a pair that are well balanced and pretty close to the ideal i have described. I think 200 dollars is my limit. So please send in more recommendations or please just give me the name of headphone that definitely works well for sure  and is good for my price range.  Thanks!

Theres the soundmagic hp100/150 and maybe the marshall monitor

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #77 of 137
  I know what you mean dj scope. But the regarding the  takstar pro 80 it is not properly aligned in terms of the earcups and i don't want to spend a extra 20 bucks on the hm5 earcups. Regarding mt220, they were being sold on amazon by a third party vendor called sonic sense for 249 who i don't know or have a clue about.  Therefore i would have doubts about the quality of the product they are giving me, On yamaha usa's website they were worth 399. Both these prices are way out of my budget. That is the reason i am so desperately trying to find a pair that are well balanced and pretty close to the ideal i have described. I think 200 dollars is my limit. So please send in more recommendations or please just give me the name of headphone that definitely works well for sure  and is good for my price range.  Thanks!

Just go with the good ol' classics and neutral kings the V6: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #78 of 137
DJSCOPE  Thank you for giving me a specific name man. By the way how old is this headphone? I am asking because i was wondering if this headphone works well with the high definition audio codecs of modern laptops that contain windows 7 and 8.1. Sorry if i sounded dumb, i guess i just have a bias against the old. but please do respond. Thanks! 

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #79 of 137
By the way it has 60 ohms as impedance so would it work well with  the iphone 5c and later including a laptop without an amp.I just don't want it     to be power hungry and require an amp to drive it properly for getting impactful music.. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #80 of 137
DJSCOPE  Thank you for giving me a specific name man. By the way how old is this headphone? I am asking because i was wondering if this headphone works well with the high definition audio codecs of modern laptops that contain windows 7 and 8.1. Sorry if i sounded dumb, i guess i just have a bias against the old. but please do respond. Thanks! 

By the way it has 60 ohms as impedance so would it work well with  the iphone 5c and later including a laptop without an amp.I just don't want it     to be power hungry and require an amp to drive it properly for getting impactful music.. 

The headphone is older than 10 years that's for sure. It will work fine with current gen gear and 60 ohms isn't that much.
Though keep in mind that almost all headphones sound better with a decent DAC and amp. So if you really want to improve your sound after you have a decent can then you'll need to improve your source.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #81 of 137
Head Fi'ers I have browsed through endless number of Head-Fi threads on the m50's and m50x have kept saying sparky treble, very recessed midrange , too clear highs(metallic sounding), poor soundstage and an endless list of other problems. I have never seen so much hate for the m50x or its other iterations before coming across this name. people said that too many people recommended them and drowned out headfi'ers who were trying to work with the person posting the thread based on his or her preferences. It is very difficult to buy a heavily berated headphone. Now, I am only paying attention to the m50x because so many recommended it and I don't want to be treated like a noob who knows nothing about headphones. I know that the m50x might sound great to me because i have never heard a full size reference grade headphone before but i don't intend to go along this path where i make noob mistakes.  I would like to hear from seasoned/highly experienced headfi'ers  about what other choices i could get since i plan to get a headphone widely favored even among the most experienced with negligible controversy. I listen to edm, pop,alternative, rock , trailer music and many genres. I don't want very laidback headphones but headphones that are well balanced, great all rounders that fit modern genres of audio and video well in terms of liveliness(impact) and other factors like soundstage etc.  So Recommendations please!!!!

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #82 of 137
Other than soundstage, the M50's are really hard to get mad at for a slightly warm, yet engaging sound that is fantastic for most first time buyers coming into audio. For years, many have tried to dethrone it as king, but so far, no headphone I've seen has done so. Many more good purchases have come up for lesser prices and similar quality (NVX XPT100 for a neutral sound, UE6000 for a darker sound, etc.)... but none have outdone the mass appeal of the M50's slight v-shaped sound and style factor. The biggest complaint I have, is that many members would blindly recommend them to anyone, regardless of needs. It kinda reminds me of old Beats '4 teh bass zomg dese r nmr one!11!!!!' shenanigans. They're pretty easy to find, I'd say you should just go audition some.

If you can go for open headphones, that opens up new options too. Check out Sennheiser HD558's, while you're at it. Good luck!

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #83 of 137
Sony MDR-1R is $200 nowadays and it is extremely comfortable, looks slick,is nicely balanced, and has a good soundstage, great all rounder. I don't think there's another headphone that ticks all those boxes for under $200.

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #84 of 137
  Head Fi'ers I have browsed through endless number of Head-Fi threads on the m50's and m50x have kept saying sparky treble, very recessed midrange , too clear highs(metallic sounding), poor soundstage and an endless list of other problems. I have never seen so much hate for the m50x or its other iterations before coming across this name. people said that too many people recommended them and drowned out headfi'ers who were trying to work with the person posting the thread based on his or her preferences. It is very difficult to buy a heavily berated headphone. Now, I am only paying attention to the m50x because so many recommended it and I don't want to be treated like a noob who knows nothing about headphones. I know that the m50x might sound great to me because i have never heard a full size reference grade headphone before but i don't intend to go along this path where i make noob mistakes.  I would like to hear from seasoned/highly experienced headfi'ers  about what other choices i could get since i plan to get a headphone widely favored even among the most experienced with negligible controversy. I listen to edm, pop,alternative, rock , trailer music and many genres. I don't want very laidback headphones but headphones that are well balanced, great all rounders that fit modern genres of audio and video well in terms of liveliness(impact) and other factors like soundstage etc.  So Recommendations please!!!!

lol you shouldn't take people's opinions too seriously. the m50/m50x are extremely popular for their price point. they are a solid option. nothing n00b about them.

they have a v-shaped sound signature. their sound quality is great for their price. obviously, there are other great headphone options as well. but it all really depends on your budget & specific needs (closed vs open, portable vs. home use, neutral sound sig/bass-heavy/v-shaped/forward-mids... etc...)

for edm/bass-heavy, the v-moda m100 has a really killer 'fun' bass heavy v-shaped sound sig. for rock, the sony mdr-1r has a very lush mid-range. other popular closed portable sub-$300 options include the sennheiser momentum and akg k545 (both very close to "neutral" but very friendly consumer bass boost that most people enjoy). Any of those options are great.

people here are ridiculous sometimes, they hate just to hate & get mad if you don't like their personal pick of headphones. there is really no pair of headphones that are universally loved. even the $1500 Sennheiser HD800 gets hated on for being too clinical or whatever. people are silly.

for example on the th900 thread, i suggested that there might be another pair of closed headphones w/ better sound performance & subsequently got called an idiot & banned for the thread. lol. this website is hilarious sometimes. you will find that people here just get really "passionate" (aka defensive) about their personal pick of headphones, but honestly, they are all basically about the same. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #85 of 137
^^^ there's a whole lot of truth to this. I think most good headphones aren't any better or worse just different. Depends what you're looking for. Take for example the M50x, I don't really like them all that much, however I recognize they are incredibly competent with great extension on both ends and delivering very detailed sound, I just don't find them all that great to listen to. I got the m50x for a real good price and I don't feel like I got a bargain or anything. On the other hand the CAL! is like 1/3rd the price and it doesn't have the extension of the M50, or the clarity, or the tightness in the bass, or the resolution BUT I would've gladly paid $200 for them just because I enjoy music so much more with them. Whereas the M50x I wouldn't have paid the $60 that the CAL! cost.

OP, just find out the sound signature you prefer and then make a decision based on that, regardless of price. More expensive doesn't mean better for you

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #86 of 137
jjodgey4,money4me247 and OMGLadyGaga ; that was some really helpful advice and thanks a lot for that. It definitely calmed me down.  The other headphone i am looking at other than the m50x is the mdr-1r from sony. I heard from many people that sony headphones never betray them. From what i heard from both of you the sony mdr-1r and audio technica ath-m50x are good all-rounders. Can you guys give me an estimate on how the SONY MDR-1R and Audio Technica ATH-M50x stack up against each other in sound quality, the lows, mids, highs and the transitions between each of these attributes including the bass and treble. I know you guys said that everyone has different sound signatures that they like but i want to know if the two mentioned headphones have a fun,lively and energizing sound since i don't want analytical cans that make me feel nothing. 

My second concern is in the instance that i want to get the MDR-1R'S I always go to amazon. As of right now amazon is not selling them and listing third party vendors. I am sure if i can trust them since i can't find a webpage or anything of that sort about them. I would like your opinion on that and if you guys know any other reputable websites to buy electronic goods like headphones please recommend them by listing them in your post. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! 

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1R-Premium-Over--Headphones/dp/B009A6CZ30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412177860&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mdr-1r

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #87 of 137
Well the M50x are more analytical but they also have more treble and more bass(deep bass at least, 1R has more mid and upper bass but it's comparable). Ath M50 has the better bass performance tho, the 1R is punchy but there is a little bloat and there might be some audible distortion in the subbass, I think I could hear it but just slightly, could be wrong. Mids are a no contest, 1R is warmer fuller and more natural sounding to me. M50(x) mids really bother me, they are recessed and don't sound real, lacking body and thin, this does make them clearer tho so clarity and resolution seem to be at work here with a noticeably blacker background that let's you hear more details and it sounds airier due to the treble prominence of the M50. Speaking of which, I prefer the treble of the 1R. It's laid back and rolled off, but M50 have a papery texture that again lacks a bit of realism and that metallic tinge rumor is confirmed via my ears. However, despite the apparent total opposite sound signatures they are both nicely balanced. I think M50x is the better performer of the technicalities, but 1R is a more enjoyable listen. Plus comfort and looks are greatly in the Sony's favor. So yeah I'd choose 1R and I've never had an issue with amazon sellers that have decent feedback. Amazon Warehouse Deals has them like new for $180 and I think that's a fair price. Hope that helped

Oct 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #88 of 137
It helped. When was the Mdr-1r released and are there any headphones released by Sony in 2014 that sound great? Sorry omgladygaga I am just a bit of a fanatic for the latest model of headphones. So m
Can you name some for me. Thanks!!!!!

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #89 of 137
Not sure, but I mean you can easily google it. MDR-1R were released in 2012 I think, and then in 2013 they made the 1R mk2 which is essentially the same but adds an extra cable. Release date doesn't mean much, HD600 was released in the year 1378 b.c. and it still sounds better than most headphones. AthM50 is like ten years old. The Sony's are good you'd enjoy them

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #90 of 137
OMGLadyGaga, I heard that sony recently released the mdr-7520 which i think is there latest headphone. I heard they are good. Obviously it is very expensive.  When in the sony mdr line comes the close to this sony flagship!? I just want to know becuase maybe i can buy once i save enough. Afterall, i just don't want buy one quickly and not be very impressed with it. some people said that the MDR-7520 is good for jazz music like jude( head-fi) but they use a different headphone for the other genres.  If mdr-1r is good and there are others in the mdr line or in general sony headphones that don't break the bank(my mimit is $300) that come close to flagship status i want to get one of them. Please help me a bit more, THANK YOU!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back