New to Full size headphones and need helpful advice on choosing a new headphone! Please help!!!
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #121 of 137
Thanks for the  info money4me247!! I will try them and see if i feel they are worth the price. But if i feel they are not worth it , I am returning them. Do you have any recommendation for me? I am  interested in what you have for me in store.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #122 of 137
  Thanks for the  info money4me247!! I will try them and see if i feel they are worth the price. But if i feel they are not worth it , I am returning them. Do you have any recommendation for me? I am  interested in what you have for me in store.

it depends on your preferences i think. you should try em and note what you like & dislike.

it's been forever since i've tried them, but I think they are a bit on the bassier side compared to more neutral headphones, but not as bass-heavy as some of the more basshead-oriented headphones. if you like the way they sound, you should definitely keep them. if you have specific problem with them, you can ask about headphones that perform better in those specific areas.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #124 of 137
Guys I originally got the Yamaha pro 500 to test them out and keep the headphone. Many said the comfort was not good for small heads but that the sound is of great quality.People claim that they managed to get the pro 500 for 150 dollars on amazon lightning deals which i am a bit jealous of. The point is my parents objected me to keeping these because they were too expensive according to their standards. So, instead I got the pro 400 at a 150 dollars.  I would like you opinion on the sound quality of the Yamaha Pro 400 vs the Pro 500  and decide which one is better? I wonder if i made the right choice by sticking with the pro 400.  Thanks!!

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #125 of 137
  Guys I originally got the Yamaha pro 500 to test them out and keep the headphone. Many said the comfort was not good for small heads but that the sound is of great quality.People claim that they managed to get the pro 500 for 150 dollars on amazon lightning deals which i am a bit jealous of. The point is my parents objected me to keeping these because they were too expensive according to their standards. So, instead I got the pro 400 at a 150 dollars.  I would like you opinion on the sound quality of the Yamaha Pro 400 vs the Pro 500  and decide which one is better? I wonder if i made the right choice by sticking with the pro 400.  Thanks!!

they are basically exactly the same except the pro 500 has aluminium earcups. good decision IMO. i always thought it was a joke that yamaha was charging $100+ more for the same pair of headphones except with aluminium earcups. aluminium is dirt cheap.

now you can sleep easy at night knowing you didn't get scammed. hahah

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #126 of 137
money4me247, did you read the vast number of head-fi threads, the amazon reviews and other reviews about the Yamaha pro 400? They say that the pro 500 best the pro 400  because pro 400   lacks the power, spatial depth, and overall clarity of its pricier sibling, the Yamaha PRO 500. is this true!? I mean not all the people who wrote reviews are flat out wrong right?  I know pricewise i avoided a disaster but do you think the 500's are better than the 400's . The aluminium alloy earcup somehow better enhance the sound as said by the reviews?  Also if you check camelcamelcamel my 400's came new at $126 at one point in time as in March 2014. Damn wish i bought them then!

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #127 of 137
  money4me247, did you read the vast number of head-fi threads, the amazon reviews and other reviews about the Yamaha pro 400? They say that the pro 500 best the pro 400  because pro 400   lacks the power, spatial depth, and overall clarity of its pricier sibling, the Yamaha PRO 500. is this true!? I mean not all the people who wrote reviews are flat out wrong right?  I know pricewise i avoided a disaster but do you think the 500's are better than the 400's . The aluminium alloy earcup somehow better enhance the sound as said by the reviews?  Also if you check camelcamelcamel my 400's came new at $126 at one point in time as in March 2014. Damn wish i bought them then!

I call B$.

Earcup housing can make a small difference, but just blind test the pro 500 vs the pro 400 and see what kind of difference you can actually hear. i doubt it's anything significant.

Obviously, if you take something priced at $400 and compare it to something priced at $300, people are going to write that the more expensive model is better. this is human nature & there are many studies showing that kind of behavior (with the exact same wine in different bottles & price tags). if you remove the expectation bias and price as an influencing variable with a blind test, the sonic differences are insignificant.

They have the exact same drivers. Clarity will not be effected by housing material. Bass reverb might be slightly different, but unlikely to be significant. Not sure what power even means. Spatial depth aka sound stage is more an effect of the recording than the headphones & the biggest impact on sound stage would be an open design over a closed design. Closed headphones generally have worse sound stage than open headphones intrinsic to their design, so I doubt that there would be any significant gains of sound stage between two closed headphones that share the same closed design.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #128 of 137
sorry for the redundancy money4me247! But even if the earcups are cheap does it make the headphone sound better than the pro 400!? or may be they have the same specs but are tuned differently even if both are tuned by Yamaha !? Do you think my statement holds any water and whats your opinion. Please just answer me one last time! Thank You!!

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #129 of 137
  sorry for the redundancy money4me247! But even if the earcups are cheap does it make the headphone sound better than the pro 400!? or may be they have the same specs but are tuned differently even if both are tuned by Yamaha !? Do you think my statement holds any water and whats your opinion. Please just answer me one last time! Thank You!!

they are the exact same headphones except with different earcup housing material. how much that is worth to you is a personal thing.

i doubt there are any differences in tuning. if they already tuned the driver to sound better, why not just make those changes throughout all the drivers since all the headphones share the exact same driver. why would they waste time intentionally tuning one pair of headphones to sound worse. any difference in sound will be attributed to the difference in housing material. the sound may slightly different, but most likely insignificant in a direct ABx blind comparison. afterall, who is going to buy both the pro400 & pro500 to compare?

i personally think it is B$ that they charge $100 more for the same model with aluminium earcups & doubt that it has any significant impact on the sound. ymmv

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #130 of 137
money4me247 Just a personal question out of curiosity! What is your main or most go to headphone when you watch movies or listen to music on your laptop or smartphone!? Do you also use an amp and if so does it feel like a bother attaching something big to your computer or smartphone!? I want to know since you're so knowledgeable and have shown of owning a lot of high profile headphone!!  promise i won't change my decision on my headphones after hearing yours since my parents wouldn't put up with them! Gotta work on your own to fund all the goodies you want afterall. Rightnow i am embarrassed to say but am just leaving of my parents money which bought me the headphone. But i would love to learn more through conversation and sooner or later become an expert at analyzing and choosing great headphones as many people on head-fi are like including you of course! 

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #131 of 137
  money4me247 Just a personal question out of curiosity! What is your main or most go to headphone when you watch movies or listen to music on your laptop or smartphone!? Do you also use an amp and if so does it feel like a bother attaching something big to your computer or smartphone!? I want to know since you're so knowledgeable and have shown of owning a lot of high profile headphone!!  promise i won't change my decision on my headphones after hearing yours since my parents wouldn't put up with them! Gotta work on your own to fund all the goodies you want afterall. Rightnow i am embarrassed to say but am just leaving of my parents money which bought me the headphone. But i would love to learn more through conversation and sooner or later become an expert at analyzing and choosing great headphones as many people on head-fi are like including you of course! 

I have the Hifiman HE-560 as my main pair of headphones paired with the Lyr 2 amplifier and Stoner Acoustic UD110v2 dac (it's in my signature) for home usage with my computer. Very nice high-quality neutral-oriented sound signature that is basically at the high-end flagship level without the flagship price. Would highly recommend it as an end-game pair of headphones as it is available open box at $695 via razordogaudio. Competes with the $1k+ headphones. Would need an amplifier for this for the best performance.

For portable usage, I don't bother with amps or dacs. I find the sonic benefits to be insignificant for most portable closed headphones. I play music from my smartphone. I have the Bose MEI2 and the Audio-technica ATH-M50x ($112 via buysonic). Bose gets a lot of hate around here are being over-priced, but I'm okay with it because they are the most comfortable in-ears that I have tried and I hate the IEMs that dig into your ears. The ATH-M50x has a v-shaped sound signature. I've experimented with a lot of the different portable closed headphones from the $200-$400 range and don't find the sonic improvements to really be worth it for me.

Really the biggest different of portable closed headphones is variations in sound signature. At the end of the day, you should just get something you enjoy & don't worry about what other people think. Try listening to different headphones yourself and making your own judgement. Everyone here is biased and their opinions may not fit with your preferences. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #132 of 137
Wow, That is such a grand set-up!!!! I have never people have headphones that cost hundreds of dollars and especially when you have such amazing headphones for each purpose. Well money4me247 let me tell you something buddy! I just tried the yamaha pro 400 headphones today and I was actually physically shocked there for a minute! I mean all i knew were earphones and the full size headphones its like i am in a totally different world! I guess i will become like you in time but for now I am under the strict, watchful and very protective parents! Well you really helped me out here! So I'm truly grateful to you and everyone who has helped me so far!!!!

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #133 of 137
  Wow, That is such a grand set-up!!!! I have never people have headphones that cost hundreds of dollars and especially when you have such amazing headphones for each purpose. Well money4me247 let me tell you something buddy! I just tried the yamaha pro 400 headphones today and I was actually physically shocked there for a minute! I mean all i knew were earphones and the full size headphones its like i am in a totally different world! I guess i will become like you in time but for now I am under the strict, watchful and very protective parents! Well you really helped me out here! So I'm truly grateful to you and everyone who has helped me so far!!!!

I'm really glad you like your new headphones. there is really no need to venture out to the expensive side of this hobby. the most important thing is to enjoy your music!! :) From my personal experience, you really hit some intense diminishing returns as you move up the price ladder, so there isn't any need to spend a lot of money to get good quality sound. The biggest improvement you can get with sound quality would be to upgrade your source files to 320kbps LAME mp3s. (Usually free if you own the CDs already). No real need to go lossless in my experience as I personally can't tell the difference in a blind test.

hahah... honestly, my set-up isn't that pricey compared to most hard-core enthusiasts around here. the he-560 is like the cheapest flagship-type headphone you can get and the m50x is a budget pair of portable headphones. The reason I have more than one pair of headphones is just the HE-560 is an open non-portable full-size pair of headphones. Open means they let sound leak in & out, so can only use them at home. The m50x is for traveling.

If you ever want to upgrade in the future, I would recommend looking into well-reviewed open headphones in the $200-$400 range (AKG Q701/K701/K702/K612 pro, HE-400/HE-400i, Beyer DT-770/880/990, Sennheiser HD600/HD650) + a nice $100ish budget amplifier (Schiit Magni or JDS O2 amp).

:)

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #135 of 137
What do you guys think of the headphone companies and their headphones from currawong's Fujiya Avic festival report!? Does anyone plan on buying from one of these companies and know them well enough to do so!? I'm just curious afterall! Thanks for any input head fi'ers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back