NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #3,871 of 4,019
  At first I thought the Z sounded better because of it's intimacy and warmth and the fact that the treble in the F887 was a touch hot. But after some EQ and burn in the sound is much more to my liking. The UI is also much improved. There is no more lagging as it did in the Z. 

for classic-rock & old soul music the WM-Z is pretty hard to fault... imo the WM-Z edges both the F886/7 & ZX1 mainly down to the lush presentation (warmth) with these two genres..

Both the F886/7 & ZX1 are detail monsters and may appear to be cold & clinical in their delivery (I used to think that way)... not having either the F887 or ZX1 for a few weeks has left me with a different impression, I now think the F887 is very detailed with a nice touch of warmth if it's in the music.

If most of your music is old-school from way back when it might be a good idea to stick with the WM-Z.... sometimes too much detail ruins the feeling of the music, it's a age thing that older Head-Fi'ers may understand (I was brought up listening to valve amps).

reposted from the ZX1 thread...

I have been reliably informed that Chord will be using the following sources with the Hugo at the Bristol Show, UK (Feb 21st-23rd)... Laptop, iDevice & the ZX1... 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

Me too :) But I think i'm starting to like the F more. I haven't transferred all my music into it yet but I have a feeling that the Z will perform better with classic rock/metal tracks because of it's thick and warm signature. Will test this later, hopefully i'm wrong.

I find the F887's battery to drain much more quickly than the Z however even though it say's the battery life is improved 
blink.gif

____

Thanks for the impressions!   Sounds like the Z is more suitable for me, as I like to listen to the classics when I'm out..  Have a good idea of what you mean OK-Guy, but not an old head-fier by any means haha.

At least there is no lag!  One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is the lag... Lags more than my budget Walkman and my Ericsson put together lol

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,872 of 4,019
I just picked up a mint z1060 from Gumtree pretty cheap,still to sit down and compare it with my 886,although noticed right away the stock player wasnt as good or as loud as poweramp,which is the reverse of the 886,good solid build but still lags a bit when connected to wifi just like my old 806.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #3,873 of 4,019
I have a Sansa Fuze V1 + Rockbox,
Was wondering if I should keep the Z, or pair the Fuze with something like the E12/17/etc via lineout.

I am only going to be using the V-Moda M80.  I find them sufficiently powered at 65% of the slider, but I am itching with upgratitis.......

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially those pertaining for the Z haha

EDIT:  I have the 8GB USA Model.  Do not need more than 8GB of storage personally, but would like to have more of my library on the go. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #3,874 of 4,019
That's your opinion, but it is much easier to download the full music library than 64GB each time to remove / change the music!

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #3,875 of 4,019
That's your opinion, but it is much easier to download the full music library than 64GB each time to remove / change the music!

My opinion? 
frown.gif

I do not think you understood me correctly, as I have not a clue what you are trying to get at lol.

I am thinking about replacing my 8GB WM-Z (USA) with a Sansa Fuze+Amp.  I was merely stating that I have already factored storage differences.  I do not have anything with 64GB, only a couple of UHS-1 32GB cards >.>

I was thinking if the Sansa would possibly pair with my M80 better, I would sell the WM-Z and look into a portable DAC/Amp solution..  Storage benefits would only be the cherry on top, as transfer rates are pretty fast on my machine (And I care about SQ over portability)

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3,881 of 4,019
  A few months back ago there was this root method based on some chinese tool - did anyone root his device and apllied the 2.02 update afterwards? Did the update work properly? I don't want to rush into the update process and want to mess up my device. Since I didn't see any possible to install clockword mod, I don't know how to make a complete backup for my device.

Anyways, it's nice to see that Sony still supports this device. Sine I owned the VGF-AP1 and X-1050 before, getting so much updates does not feel 'Sony-like' :wink:.

Greetings,

free electron

Is there really noone who was adventorous enough to applay that root and install the new update afterwards? :/

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3,882 of 4,019
Is there really noone who was adventorous enough to applay that root and install the new update afterwards? :/

I just did it. Applied the OTA update over a rooted installation. Was able to update without a problem. YMMV

Afterwards I used the Xperia Rootkit to gain root access again.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #3,885 of 4,019

I would be afraid to have a case that fits snug around the corners :frowning2:
Looking for a case as well, but I find it ridiculous to pay $20+ for a silicone

Forget the silicone, even the prices for the original Sony Z walkman leather & hard plastic cases have increased considerably. When I bought the Z1070 a year ago or so, the seller added a leather case free of charge! But for the Z1050 which I also have (and was purchased the first day Sony released it in the US Sony store), I bought the hard clear case from ebay for around $35 back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back