NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jan 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,841 of 4,019
  Ah, ok. I thought the new update made the ui a little bit smoother since it was stated in their website.

I think the new update is much better than the older one.

Swiping through the screens is much quick.
It has nice contrast and vividness.
The icons have been replaced and look more 'organised'

For me the biggest advantage of the Z is the big screen. Playing a song and viewing the artwork is something I never enjoyed before. (always never cared about artwork). Also I get to play some videos of my kids playing so I can watch in landscape full screen. To me. its the ALL-IN-ONE media player and maybe I wont see another like that in a long time.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #3,842 of 4,019

Is this with the latest firmware? My Z1060 went from barely usable with the original Ginger Bread Android to mostly smooth with Ice Cream Sandwich. To give you a point of comparison I charged it last night and this morning it has 91% charge. Maybe the weather has something to do with it too, if it's really cold? In Settings/Apps/Running the only non stock ones are Spotify, Box...

Mine is pretty much room temperature all day.  No installed apps, WiFi off.  ICS is a mixed bag for me.  Some processes like database updating work a lot faster on ICS, but GB seemed to have less cache issues.

Anyone find the 2.02 page for US Models?  When I go on Sony AU/NZ I immediately find the 2.02 update page. 

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #3,843 of 4,019

For me the biggest advantage of the Z is the big screen. Playing a song and viewing the artwork is something I never enjoyed before. (always never cared about artwork). Also I get to play some videos of my kids playing so I can watch in landscape full screen. To me. its the ALL-IN-ONE media player and maybe I wont see another like that in a long time.

That's nice to hear! I don't really use my Z for anything else apart for music since I have my phone for that plus it's much faster and snappier than the Z. Maybe you should get a Xperia Z1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,844 of 4,019

I'm so jealous >.>

Anyone know if the 2.02 update is available for the US models?  I found the 2.02 update on the AU/NZ site, but not the US one.

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #3,845 of 4,019
Yup, the Music Player app seems snappier. Some of the other enhancements might be under the hood, I can't tell anything else that's new... I could already create playlists, already had FLAC support, can't see any changes in sound effects? Still, any improvements are more than welcome. No Jelly Bean for us though

I can see the US download here, if that doesn't work I used http://esupport.sony.com/. My update was "over the air" outside the US though.

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,847 of 4,019
  Yup, the Music Player app seems snappier. Some of the other enhancements might be under the hood, I can't tell anything else that's new... I could already create playlists, already had FLAC support, can't see any changes in sound effects? Still, any improvements are more than welcome. No Jelly Bean for us though

I can see the US download here, if that doesn't work I used http://esupport.sony.com/. My update was "over the air" outside the US though.

Thanks!  When I was going through the Sony US site I kept seeing the 2.01 update.  Could have been my browser cache though.  Was really tired when I posted
biggrin.gif

if you connect your WM-Z to MediaGo the update for 'your' player will come through automatically (or click 'check for updates' when the WM-Z is connected to MGo), you don't have to worry about regions, hth.

Never tried Media Go.  I am OCD when it comes to keeping my system tidy (I'm exaggerating haha)
I think I'll try the program out when I have the chance, thanks for pointing it out. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #3,849 of 4,019
A few months back ago there was this root method based on some chinese tool - did anyone root his device and apllied the 2.02 update afterwards? Did the update work properly? I don't want to rush into the update process and want to mess up my device. Since I didn't see any possible to install clockword mod, I don't know how to make a complete backup for my device.

Anyways, it's nice to see that Sony still supports this device. Sine I owned the VGF-AP1 and X-1050 before, getting so much updates does not feel 'Sony-like' :wink:.

Greetings,

free electron

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,852 of 4,019
As for phones, I'm addicted to iPhones just because of its simplicity. Android has so many 'general' apps and 95% of it is useless to me.
Quote:
  That's nice to hear! I don't really use my Z for anything else apart for music since I have my phone for that plus it's much faster and snappier than the Z. Maybe you should get a Xperia Z1 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hopefully, you have it by now. You just go to system setting and search updates and it should be done within 5-8 mins (max). I dont see any difference between the last update and this. The last one was a complete overhaul but this looks like some changes in a 'microscopic' level :)

I just wish they added a stock 'search function' to find a track, instead of scrolling through the albums, etc.

I'm so jealous >.>

Anyone know if the 2.02 update is available for the US models?  I found the 2.02 update on the AU/NZ site, but not the US one.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,853 of 4,019

Hopefully, you have it by now. You just go to system setting and search updates and it should be done within 5-8 mins (max). I dont see any difference between the last update and this. The last one was a complete overhaul but this looks like some changes in a 'microscopic' level :)

I just wish they added a stock 'search function' to find a track, instead of scrolling through the albums, etc.

Well there are ways to find tracks.... I just opened "gesture search" which I've got "anchored" or whatever it's called for quick access, wrote the first letters of a song and it found it... It opened with Play Music instead of Sony's app but I'm pretty sure the default app can be changed, and there's also bound to be a way to type the song (instead of drawing the letters).

As for iPhones I've long learned not to get into that horn's nest, but while some Android versions can be less than user friendly (I can't stand Samsungs for instance) if you ever try a Nexus 4 and probably the 5, all iPhones suddenly feel ancient, mouldy...

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,854 of 4,019
The 2.02 update fixes the Walkman button! I also noticed that WiFi strength has dropped, but they already mentioned network stability.

Haven't tested the stability of the widgets yet, but the player does not chug on a cold start.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,855 of 4,019

Yeah I did do the update and don't find there's any difference either. On another note my F887 have just arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back