NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #4,011 of 4,019
Anyone still Chillin like a villain with this in 2018?

One of my first Sony walkmans. I really like the sound signature. Wish the newer Sony players will reintroduce clear Bass. It added more Bass without making it sound distorted or muddy. I have the zx300 and wm1a but still go back to this sometimes. Only thing is that it lacked power.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #4,012 of 4,019
Anyone still Chillin like a villain with this in 2018?

One of my first Sony walkmans. I really like the sound signature. Wish the newer Sony players will reintroduce clear Bass. It added more Bass without making it sound distorted or muddy. I have the zx300 and wm1a but still go back to this sometimes. Only thing is that it lacked power.

Loved my 1060 and used it quite a lot for 4 years... I also liked the sound signature very much. And it was the first time I could notice a difference in sound quality to other, more common portable sources at the time. It did lack power, except for very easy to drive iems. I had to replace it for ZX2 about a year and a half ago because it had become extremely laggy (my children installed some extra apps, but even after removal, it wouldn't work snappily) and because I was curious to try hi res and the Z unfortunately couldn't handle such files. But I still own it and have very fond aural memories of the Z. In my opinion, it was an underrated device.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #4,014 of 4,019
I still enjoy my 1060 for music on the device with an xba-4, ath-ckr and particularly with Meze 99 Classics; nothing else on this device has really ever worked well, I get all sorts notices for android apps and system components crashing or not responding, anything that relies on the Internet is painfully slow and stops responding; lately it rebuilds the database for no apparent reason, which makes me suspect it's about to die. All of this this really put me off Sony in general and is an example of Android's limitations (no elegant growth of the ecosystem). For the next music incantation it will probably be my Meridian Explorer connected to whichever mid range phone works with it.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,015 of 4,019
I still enjoy my 1060 for music on the device with an xba-4, ath-ckr and particularly with Meze 99 Classics; nothing else on this device has really ever worked well, I get all sorts notices for android apps and system components crashing or not responding, anything that relies on the Internet is painfully slow and stops responding; lately it rebuilds the database for no apparent reason, which makes me suspect it's about to die. All of this this really put me off Sony in general and is an example of Android's limitations (no elegant growth of the ecosystem). For the next music incantation it will probably be my Meridian Explorer connected to whichever mid range phone works with it.

I hear you man. This is very stupid interm of Sony not supporting older devices. My ZX2, F807, and Z1070 including the ZX1 are all very slow.

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,017 of 4,019
Indeed. It was slow but I notice that lately my ZX2 is even slower. The ZX1 is more snappy.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4,018 of 4,019
Whenever Sony released an android Walkman it was released with an older or just about to expire android version. They never bothered to update android maybe because the hardware was not meant for newer android software.
Since their android wakmans were not frequently replaced by newer models like the mini disc and discmans which have numerous models, Sony never bothered to put revenue or resources to update their software with the newer android updates.
I think the Z Walkman was the last Walkman to get the 50% discount through Sony website when it was being discontinued.

BTW anyone know if you can do digital out via the mini hdmi and how it would work?

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #4,019 of 4,019
Whenever Sony released an android Walkman it was released with an older or just about to expire android version. They never bothered to update android maybe because the hardware was not meant for newer android software.
Since their android wakmans were not frequently replaced by newer models like the mini disc and discmans which have numerous models, Sony never bothered to put revenue or resources to update their software with the newer android updates.
I think the Z Walkman was the last Walkman to get the 50% discount through Sony website when it was being discontinued.

BTW anyone know if you can do digital out via the mini hdmi and how it would work?

Yes, the digital out is available via HDMI. It works on my NAD M51.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back