NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,857 of 4,019
I'm under the impression the battery is lasting longer, so whatever they did made it smarter on stand by. Couldn't get songs to open in anything but play music, the sony music app isn't offered as an option, but there must be a way...

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3,858 of 4,019
  I'm under the impression the battery is lasting longer, so whatever they did made it smarter on stand by. Couldn't get songs to open in anything but play music, the sony music app isn't offered as an option, but there must be a way...

?  The sony app is more stable for me, and plays the same formats...  So odd

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,859 of 4,019
Do you mean Google 'Gesture Search'? I've never heard of this but thanks for the tip. Will try it and hopefully it will work.

Quote:

Well there are ways to find tracks.... I just opened "gesture search" which I've got "anchored" or whatever it's called for quick access, wrote the first letters of a song and it found it... It opened with Play Music instead of Sony's app but I'm pretty sure the default app can be changed, and there's also bound to be a way to type the song (instead of drawing the letters).

As for iPhones I've long learned not to get into that horn's nest, but while some Android versions can be less than user friendly (I can't stand Samsungs for instance) if you ever try a Nexus 4 and probably the 5, all iPhones suddenly feel ancient, mouldy...

?  The sony app is more stable for me, and plays the same formats...  So odd

Sony music app is stable for me too.

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3,861 of 4,019
  So this is great, my 1060 is bricked, was listening to some music when the player just powered off (reset switch does nothing), and cannot be powered back on again, had a full charge at the time, purchased May 2012.

Just raised this issue with Sony Support.

hope this doesn't happen to anyone else..

Weird, my Z1060 has come back to life, got curious last night, plugged it into a laptop and it fired up, so immediately factory wiped it, then upgraded to the latest firmware and it is all good, stable and sounding as great as ever.

Pretty happy about this! - my walkman has self repaired
smile.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,863 of 4,019

Weird, my Z1060 has come back to life, got curious last night, plugged it into a laptop and it fired up, so immediately factory wiped it, then upgraded to the latest firmware and it is all good, stable and sounding as great as ever.

Pretty happy about this! - my walkman has self repaired
smile.gif

Good news! With Sony dropping the Vaio line, I just hope we aren't the last to be enjoying the walkman (besides the newer F806, F886, ZX1).

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,864 of 4,019

Good news! With Sony dropping the Vaio line, I just hope we aren't the last to be enjoying the walkman (besides the newer F806, F886, ZX1).

Yeah read that, £300 million for Vaio brand, at least the business is still in Japan, hopefully the Walkman brand will fit into their focus on mobile computing and will be around for many years to come.

Welcome back!
beerchug.gif

Thanks dude, good to be back!

I'm blaming a dodgy app for forcing power saving into some sort of zombie death mode..factory reset has hopefully gooten rid of that for good
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #3,866 of 4,019
  Anyone audition/own the ZX1 and could compare it to the Z?  Would be most appreciated

Don't have/heard the ZX1 but I have just brought the F887. I think OK-GUY is the only person who has heard both, but he did say that they were the same in sound quality. But maybe he can chime in later as well. The F887 has more sub bass and better treble extension compared to the Z. The F887 is a bit more open and airy sounding because it's not as forward/thick/warm sounding as the Z. Clarity and details is therefore improved slightly. Hope this helps.  

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #3,867 of 4,019
  Don't have/heard the ZX1 but I have just brought the F887. I think OK-GUY is the only person who has heard both, but he did say that they were the same in sound quality. But maybe he can chime in later as well. The F887 has more sub bass and better treble extension compared to the Z and is also less warm sounding. The F887 is a bit more open and airy sounding because it's not as forward/thick/warm sounding as the Z. Clarity and detail is therefore improved slightly. I hope this helps.  

you've pretty much nailed it but I will chip in a bit more later.

btw I love the WM-Z.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #3,868 of 4,019

you've pretty much nailed it but I will chip in a bit more later.

btw I love the WM-Z.

Me too :) But I think i'm starting to like the F more. I haven't transferred all my music into it yet but I have a feeling that the Z will perform better with classic rock/metal tracks because of it's thick and warm signature. Will test this later, hopefully i'm wrong.

I find the F887's battery to drain much more quickly than the Z however even though it say's the battery life is improved 
blink.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #3,869 of 4,019
  Me too :) But I think i'm starting to like the F more. I haven't transferred all my music into it yet but I have a feeling that the Z will perform better with classic rock/metal tracks because of it's thick and warm signature. Will test this later, hopefully i'm wrong.

I find the F887's battery to drain much more quickly than the Z however even though it say's the battery life is improved 
blink.gif

for classic-rock & old soul music the WM-Z is pretty hard to fault... imo the WM-Z edges both the F886/7 & ZX1 mainly down to the lush presentation (warmth) with these two genres..

Both the F886/7 & ZX1 are detail monsters and may appear to be cold & clinical in their delivery (I used to think that way)... not having either the F887 or ZX1 for a few weeks has left me with a different impression, I now think the F887 is very detailed with a nice touch of warmth if it's in the music.

If most of your music is old-school from way back when it might be a good idea to stick with the WM-Z.... sometimes too much detail ruins the feeling of the music, it's a age thing that older Head-Fi'ers may understand (I was brought up listening to valve amps).

reposted from the ZX1 thread...

I have been reliably informed that Chord will be using the following sources with the Hugo at the Bristol Show, UK (Feb 21st-23rd)... Laptop, iDevice & the ZX1... 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,870 of 4,019

for classic-rock & old soul music the WM-Z is pretty hard to fault... imo the WM-Z edges both the F886/7 & ZX1 mainly down to the lush presentation (warmth) with these two genres..

Both the F886/7 & ZX1 are detail monsters and may appear to be cold & clinical in their delivery (I used to think that way)... not having either the F887 or ZX1 for a few weeks has left me with a different impression, I now think the F887 is very detailed with a nice touch of warmth if it's in the music.

If most of your music is old-school from way back when it might be a good idea to stick with the WM-Z.... sometimes too much detail ruins the feeling of the music, it's a age thing that older Head-Fi'ers may understand (I was brought up listening to valve amps).

reposted from the ZX1 thread...

I have been reliably informed that Chord will be using the following sources with the Hugo at the Bristol Show, UK (Feb 21st-23rd)... Laptop, iDevice & the ZX1... 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/

At first I thought the Z sounded better because of it's intimacy and warmth and the fact that the treble in the F887 was a touch hot. But after some EQ and burn in the sound is much more to my liking. The UI is also much improved. There is no more lagging as it did in the Z. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back