NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,756 of 4,019
Quote:
The Mdac despite its reported reliability issues and the Rega dac which are on that link you provided appeal to me for the money.

I've had a 2hour session comparing the Rega CD & Dac v Roksan-M2 Cd-Player, the Roksan was better but at almost a £800 difference in pricing you'd kinda expect it, that said, the Rega combo was a real surprise and one that I am seriously considering. I only tested the combo with a Roksan-M2 Amp so you also expect the M2-CD to perform better with matched equipment, the Rega combo performed terrifically with the M2-Amp it was very musical and had plenty of depth & a wide soundstage... I'm tempted to go with the Rega Combo for it's connectivity with a PC & a DAP (hence my interest in the DX100) but the Roksan pairing of both the M2's was simply gorgeous to my ears so it will be a hard choice in the near future... only speakers that were used in the test were KEF R300's with Chord - Anthem connects & Epic speaker cables.

What I love about the WM-Z is it's neutrality and apparent massive soundstage which gives it great depth across the music spectrum, my personal belief is that headphones will have to be of the highest order to get the best out of the WM-Z, I've toyed around with On-Ear headphones up to £165 but none have really appealed, the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 were very good but it was not the sound I was hoping for, I got a bit excited when I thought that the Focal Spirit One's would be the ones but after a good listen at a Dealer's they weren't as good as the ES7 imho, less said about the V-Moda M-80's the better... I've given up on buying new headphones until my Amperiors arrive, if they turn out not to my liking well I guess it will be time for some Customs but I'd rather not have anything in my ears as buds etc always seem to annoy me after a long period of listening.

May 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,757 of 4,019
Quote:

I've had a 2hour session comparing the Rega CD & Dac v Roksan-M2 Cd-Player, the Roksan was better but at almost a £800 difference in pricing you'd kinda expect it, that said, the Rega combo was a real surprise and one that I am seriously considering. I only tested the combo with a Roksan-M2 Amp so you also expect the M2-CD to perform better with matched equipment, the Rega combo performed terrifically with the M2-Amp it was very musical and had plenty of depth & a wide soundstage... I'm tempted to go with the Rega Combo for it's connectivity with a PC & a DAP (hence my interest in the DX100) but the Roksan pairing of both the M2's was simply gorgeous to my ears so it will be a hard choice in the near future... only speakers that were used in the test were KEF R300's with Chord - Anthem connects & Epic speaker cables.

What I love about the WM-Z is it's neutrality and apparent massive soundstage which gives it great depth across the music spectrum, my personal belief is that headphones will have to be of the highest order to get the best out of the WM-Z, I've toyed around with On-Ear headphones up to £165 but none have really appealed, the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 were very good but it was not the sound I was hoping for, I got a bit excited when I thought that the Focal Spirit One's would be the ones but after a good listen at a Dealer's they weren't as good as the ES7 imho, less said about the V-Moda M-80's the better... I've given up on buying new headphones until my Amperiors arrive, if they turn out not to my liking well I guess it will be time for some Customs but I'd rather not have anything in my ears as buds etc always seem to annoy me after a long period of listening.

Well, you will always have the AKG K3003, which will not disappoint.

May 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,758 of 4,019
Quote:

Sounds like a tricky choice when one has better connection options but the other has a SQ you crave, hmmm?
I know it will be few and far between especially with British Hi-Fi company's only embracing the new different digital formats in the last few years, but maybe need to cast that net out one more time to see if there are any other rigs out there that can combine the connection advantage of the Rega with the M2 sound (within the same budget of course). 
I know it will be a hard task but may be worth it before laying down those notes.

Listening to the Z with my JH16's, and the Soundstage is the best I have heard yet from any of my Walkmans I have had, it feels like the music has more room to breath whilst making it easier to pin point where instruments are on stage. 

Really enjoying the Z with the 16'spros, I know you have reservations about getting on with in ear tips, my expereicne with customs with them  been moulded to your ear shape you should not really notice they are in after a while. 

Quote:

Well, you will always have the AKG K3003, which will not disappoint.

Well engineered for a iem with materials used from the pics I have seen, but still does not look like that fixed wire connection the iem uses will last the test of time if used daily as well, think for that money it would of been detachable cable at least. 

Love the leather wallet case for the K3003's though, that has got to be the most niche styled iem case I have set my googeley eyes on

If only the Sony had done their leather case finish like that on the Z .....

May 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,760 of 4,019
Along those lines... has anyone (AnakChan?) heard the Z as well as an iPod/Fostex HPP1 rig? If so, is the Z comparable in SQ? This really seems like it could be THE device for those of us who don't want to run a 2-3-box portable rig. Dare I say the GRAIL of PMPs. X)

May 17, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,762 of 4,019
Along those lines... has anyone (AnakChan?) heard the Z as well as an iPod/Fostex HPP1 rig? If so, is the Z comparable in SQ? This really seems like it could be THE device for those of us who don't want to run a 2-3-box portable rig. Dare I say the GRAIL of PMPs. X)

Sorry buddy, I swapped my HP-P1 for the SR-71B a few months back & I held back in buying the Z1070 due to the DX100. I have heard the Z numerous times but not my tracks which is a bummer. I do think it has a decent SQ though but if it were me for a single-device :-

Z1070 - ultra slim good SQ portable audio device. Still (very very!) slim possibility for girls to approach me
Go-DAP 4.0 - if I want to integrate my iPhone as my audio device. Approx same size as iPhone+Z1070. (Very) slim potential for alternative-type girls to come up
DX100 - if I want to prioritize excellent SQ over slimness. Still a single device though!! After a 10 foot radius vacates around me, very likely for double-strapped backpack guys with glasses to fill in that void & ask me for a listen.

May 17, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #1,763 of 4,019
Quote:
Sorry buddy, I swapped my HP-P1 for the SR-71B a few months back & I held back in buying the Z1070 due to the DX100. I have heard the Z numerous times but not my tracks which is a bummer. I do think it has a decent SQ though but if it were me for a single-device :-
Z1070 - ultra slim good SQ portable audio device. Still (very very!) slim possibility for girls to approach me
Go-DAP 4.0 - if I want to integrate my iPhone as my audio device. Approx same size as iPhone+Z1070. (Very) slim potential for alternative-type girls to come up
DX100 - if I want to prioritize excellent SQ over slimness. Still a single device though!! After a 10 foot radius vacates around me, very likely for double-strapped backpack guys with glasses to fill in that void & ask me for a listen.

iPod Touch - Every girl approaches you. 

May 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,765 of 4,019
Quote:
hi folks,

my wife is travelling to Boston in June and im thinking this could be my present from her when she gets back :) im looking at the 32gb version. Where would be the cheapest place to buy?

Cheers,
Mick

if you can get her the US-Version as there's no volume cap... if you have good PC knowlege then get a Z1070 from Japan (do a deal with the seller over Customs, $50 limit & ask for tracked-delivery)... NY-Box would be the place to go to if you don't know anyone in USA... if you're in USA or Canada use the Sony sites for best deal, hth.

May 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,766 of 4,019
Quote:

DAP's are the new Roses it appears... *** what ever happened to the 'wink' & 'smile' used to work brilliantly for me (at the grab-a-grunt disco's)... you're proving to be a DAP cad Anak
wink_face.gif

May 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,767 of 4,019
Quote:

ask Turok to give you his impressions on his WM-Z &TTVJ-Slim combo... he's got the DX100 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back