NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #1,786 of 4,019
Quote:
Honestly honestly, I'm pretty much convinced that Galaxy S phones with Voodoo sound...almost the same.  I've had the J3 and D3 now.  I've read others saying the same-- while some people will say that D3 and J3 sound different, I think it's still splitting hairs....they all sound ridiculously good.  It's kinda hard to go from a 4" screen or 4.5" screen Samsung Infuse to a 3.7" Cowon Z2...but the Z2 has those tactile buttons and well...I do believe Cowon players are still slightly better in quality.  Galaxy S phones you can get in like-new used condition for between 80-150 on craigslist. 

What I'll end up doing is just waiting for the Galaxy S3 (confirmed to have Wolfson chip) to come out.  It's bound to drop to $300 in price in no time.  probably $250 for one that has a bad ESN serial number due to someone not being able to pay their bill. 

4.8" screen............the display lights up when you make eye contact with it...and doesnt' dim while you're looking at it :xf_eek:    Perhaps we'll see a drop in price of the Z1070 (laughably unexpandable memory) when the S3 arrives in a month or so.  :xf_eek:

I think at this point of time, it's all about preference :O. Well your post was kinda out of topic (LOL)

May 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,787 of 4,019
i know.  haha.. i was prompted to do it by the other guys' remark about how phones can do the same thing as Z1070, but don't sound like it.

:)  I am intrigued by all of you guys who are plopping down sooo much for a 4.3" standard android device and thinking it's a good deal.  Perhaps it really is if it really sounds that good :xf_eek: 

I was about to find out until I learned it didnt' have expandable memory.  Also, as with other things I've started to learn--I think you'll only see very nominal improvements for more and more expensive gear.  Most Joe's will probably not be able to tell the difference between ibasso dx100 with z1070 aside from warmth maybe/soundstage...just like most average joe's won't be able to tell any quality difference between a $500 z1070 and Galaxy S/rooted/with voodoo which can be had for less than $100 sometimes :xf_eek:

I think part of the facination is peoples' first android device and/or large screen display....but I could be wrong.  :) 

May 19, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #1,788 of 4,019
Quote:
i know.  haha.. i was prompted to do it by the other guys' remark about how phones can do the same thing as Z1070, but don't sound like it.

:)  I am intrigued by all of you guys who are plopping down sooo much for a 4.3" standard android device and thinking it's a good deal.  Perhaps it really is if it really sounds that good :xf_eek: 

I was about to find out until I learned it didnt' have expandable memory.  Also, as with other things I've started to learn--I think you'll only see very nominal improvements for more and more expensive gear.  Most Joe's will probably not be able to tell the difference between ibasso dx100 with z1070 aside from warmth maybe/soundstage...just like most average joe's won't be able to tell any quality difference between a $500 z1070 and Galaxy S/rooted/with voodoo which can be had for less than $100 sometimes :xf_eek:

I think part of the facination is peoples' first android device and/or large screen display....but I could be wrong.  :) 

Well, if you look at it in this way, the Walkman Z is a competitor of the iPod Touch and to me, it obliterates it in sound quality. Not that the iPod Touch is bad in sound, but just not as good. And I would have to agree, the size of the Walkman Z is an overkill for me. The Z also has a slightly different take compared to other Walkmans as it sounds brighter compared to the dark signature. 

Many people seem to keep bitching about this *no expandable memory*, it's an iPod Touch competitor, and it doesn't have expandable memory either. Also, expandable memory is not completely as reliable as on-board memory. 

And no, I do not like android, nor their overly big screens, the Galaxy SIII's screen is a super overkill at 4.8", no way I can take that when 4.3" is already too big for me. The most ideal screen size for me is 4.0". 

May 19, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #1,791 of 4,019
Quote:
Quote:

Well, if you look at it in this way, the Walkman Z is a competitor of the iPod Touch and to me, it obliterates it in sound quality. Not that the iPod Touch is bad in sound, but just not as good. And I would have to agree, the size of the Walkman Z is an overkill for me. The Z also has a slightly different take compared to other Walkmans as it sounds brighter compared to the dark signature. 

Many people seem to keep bitching about this *no expandable memory*, it's an iPod Touch competitor, and it doesn't have expandable memory either. Also, expandable memory is not completely as reliable as on-board memory. 

And no, I do not like android, nor their overly big screens, the Galaxy SIII's screen is a super overkill at 4.8", no way I can take that when 4.3" is already too big for me. The most ideal screen size for me is 4.0". 

In this case, I present to you the newly dropped in price Galaxy 4.0 Player for $140 on amazon :O  These will most likely go really fast.  http://slickdeals.net/f/4512032-Samsung-Galaxy-Player-4-0-android-2-3-5-device-139-99-shipped-amazon-55-price-drop-from-yesterday

The 4.0 player has the Wolfson DAC (rootable + voodoo control), while the 5.0 player does not. 

You have a point there about the expandable memory with iPods not having expandable memory, but this is Android......it's supposed to be most things the Apple is not.  The one feature Android failed to get officially for a long time is the Screen capture ability which was puzzling.  There are so many features Apple has been releasing one or half at a time...milking the apple fanboism...i.e. FM radio for ipod, multitasking, horrible camera on iPad 2--no camera on iPad 1, etc etc etc.  There are so many other things aside from expandable memory that apple products handcuff you with.  I also didn't realize the iPod touch was anywhere near as expensive as these Sony's, but I guess the Sony's are being marked up right now.  Anyway- I'm not anti-apple nor anti-sony.  I'll probably end up picking up one of these Walkman Z's when they come down in price to around $200 within a year or so and see what all the hype is about.  I also don't doubt you that the Z obliterates the iPod touch in terms of SQ.  Ipod/iphone SQ has gone down ever since they opted for cheaper cirrus logic/yamaha DACs. iPhone 5 is rumored to have the Wolfson. 

May 19, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #1,792 of 4,019
Quote:
In this case, I present to you the newly dropped in price Galaxy 4.0 Player for $140 on amazon :O  These will most likely go really fast.  http://slickdeals.net/f/4512032-Samsung-Galaxy-Player-4-0-android-2-3-5-device-139-99-shipped-amazon-55-price-drop-from-yesterday

The 4.0 player has the Wolfson DAC, while the 5.0 player does not. 

You have a point there about the expandable memory with iPods not having expandable memory, but this is Android......it was supposed to be most things the iPod is not.  The one feature Android failed to get officially for a long time is the Screen capture ability.  There are so many other things aside from expandable memory that apple products handcuff you with.  I also didn't realize the iPod touch was anywhere near as expensive as these Sony's, but I guess the Sony's are being marked up right now. 

It doesn't mean just because something has a Wolfson DAC means it's automatically good. It depends a lot on the amp as well. Like the PSP 3000 has a Wolfson DAC, but it sounds very weak due to it's amp. 

But this is also Walkman, which never had a player with a micro SD expansion. Well, enjoy your Samsung Galaxies while Walkman fanboys like us here will continue enjoying our Walkmans. 

May 19, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #1,793 of 4,019
Quote:
It doesn't mean just because something has a Wolfson DAC means it's automatically good. It depends a lot on the amp as well. Like the PSP 3000 has a Wolfson DAC, but it sounds very weak due to it's amp. 

But this is also Walkman, which never had a player with a micro SD expansion. Well, enjoy your Samsung Galaxies while Walkman fanboys like us here will continue enjoying our Walkmans. 

Interesting point here...

I have been a Sony person since as far back as I can remember (and a look at my gear I have been using in my signature gives that one away!) - However, for tonality (so not mentioning accuracy or anything else) - I am finding my Galaxy Note much more enjoyable, as such the Z hasn't been getting any play time recently...

...Not to mention that the 5.3" screen is a blessing for watching films etc on the train!

I'm bummed that I have to wait until June 3rd to upgrade my phone contract to get the Galaxy S3, will probably be on back-order for the next three months, but - patience is a virtue I guess :)

May 19, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #1,794 of 4,019
Quote:

I have been a Sony person since as far back as I can remember (and a look at my gear I have been using in my signature gives that one away!) - However, for tonality (so not mentioning accuracy or anything else) - I am finding my Galaxy Note much more enjoyable, as such the Z hasn't been getting any play time recently...

...Not to mention that the 5.3" screen is a blessing for watching films etc on the train!

I'm bummed that I have to wait until June 3rd to upgrade my phone contract to get the Galaxy S3, will probably be on back-order for the next three months, but - patience is a virtue I guess :)

Well, I have not tried the Galaxy Note so I can't really comment on that, however the size is too big for me, as with the Z. Well, seeing the SII sold so well, I wonder how well will the SIII sell, and those android screens are getting so much bigger! 

May 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #1,795 of 4,019
Quote:
Quote:

The 4.0 player has the Wolfson DAC, while the 5.0 player does not. 

You have a point there about the expandable memory with iPods not having expandable memory, but this is Android......it was supposed to be most things the iPod is not.  The one feature Android failed to get officially for a long time is the Screen capture ability.  There are so many other things aside from expandable memory that apple products handcuff you with.  I also didn't realize the iPod touch was anywhere near as expensive as these Sony's, but I guess the Sony's are being marked up right now. 

I realize this.  At least in my experience so far, the Wolfson has sounded extremely clean and good.  I have the PSP 3000 and had the Vita for a short while as well (also with Wolfson).  I've tried the iPod 5.5G which also has the best of the iPod Wolfson DACs.  I've tried all Galaxy S phones now, except for the Infuse and the Cowon J3/D3.  All, very very good. And while the PSP3000 and Vita are too weak to fully drive high impedance cans, they are perfectly fine for IEMs and low impedance cans--wouldn't you agree?  My PSP sounds amazing paired with E17, btw. 

I beg to differ about Walkmans--they had unlimited expansion with full-size cassette tape slots :D       I didn't mean to insult all your walkmans...just curious is all :) 

May 19, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #1,796 of 4,019
Quote:
Quote:

that's quite interesting as well.  Not sure which DAC the galaxy 5.0 player uses, but it's not the Wolfson.  Hehe... there are people who think the latest iPhone 4 DACs (and iPod touch 4th gen) are the best of the iPod dacs as well.  I guess everything is subjective.  Are you looking at selling the Z, Duncan?  :wink:  

May 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #1,797 of 4,019
Quote:
I realize this.  At least in my experience so far, the Wolfson has sounded extremely clean and good.  I have the PSP 3000 and had the Vita for a short while as well (also with Wolfson).  I've tried the iPod 5.5G which also has the best of the iPod Wolfson DACs.  I've tried all Galaxy S phones now, except for the Infuse and the Cowon J3/D3.  All, very very good. And while the PSP3000 and Vita are too weak to fully drive high impedance cans, they are perfectly fine for IEMs and low impedance cans--wouldn't you agree?  My PSP sounds amazing paired with E17, btw. 

I beg to differ about Walkmans--they had unlimited expansion with full-size cassette tape slots :D       I didn't mean to insult all your walkmans...just curious is all :) 

I would agree that the PSP does sound decent, but I still preferred my Walkman's more powerful and bigger sound. 

Well, was referring to the digital walkmans... anyway, sound is very much subjective, so one man's meat is another's poison. 

May 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #1,798 of 4,019
To paraphrase my brother, who is getting scarily into all things head-fi, the Galaxy sounds much more real than the Sony, which doesn't sound have any warmth (or life) compared to the Samsung...

Now, that leads me (and him to be fair, he asked me if the Z was faulty!) to wonder if the Z's sold in the EU are really that crippled that Sony needed to change the sound signature, or maybe the Note is so warm and lush (and coincidentally suits us both better)...

It does make me wonder on the flip side, owning both the Z1000 and EX1000 'phones as well, they are both bright - is it just the case that this is Sony's new 'house' sound?

Either way, I am becoming disilusioned that a cellphone (with a Yamaha chip that doesn't get rated so well around here) sounds better to the both of us, for tonality, depth, and believability...

confused_face_2.gif

May 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #1,799 of 4,019
Quote:
To paraphrase my brother, who is getting scarily into all things head-fi, the Galaxy sounds much more real than the Sony, which doesn't sound have any warmth (or life) compared to the Samsung...

Now, that leads me (and him to be fair, he asked me if the Z was faulty!) to wonder if the Z's sold in the EU are really that crippled that Sony needed to change the sound signature, or maybe the Note is so warm and lush (and coincidentally suits us both better)...

It does make me wonder on the flip side, owning both the Z1000 and EX1000 'phones as well, they are both bright - is it just the case that this is Sony's new 'house' sound?

Either way, I am becoming disilusioned that a cellphone (with a Yamaha chip that doesn't get rated so well around here) sounds better to the both of us, for tonality, depth, and believability...

confused_face_2.gif

That's a nice question. There is someone who had owned both the volume capped A860 and non volume capped A860 and he said the one without the volume cap was a lot warmer, while the one with the volume cap sounds a lot colder, with more emphasis on the highs and mids. I'm not sure about the Z, but the same thing could apply. 

Well, I found the Sony XBAs to be all dark in signature, so I don't think it would be Sony's new 'house' sound. 

May 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,800 of 4,019
Quote:
your thoughts of the Z compared to your previous D2?

thinking about getting a Z2 now...  I'm pretty pleased with the D3 except for slow reading speed of microSD cards.  the sound seems the same now as my J3 now that I think about it. 

I kinda liked how you could do pitch change without pitch correct on the J3....it's also nice on the D3 b/c the pitch correction is so instantaneous and smooth....  how is it on the Z2?  And do EQ changes happen instantly like the J3 without the short pause?

Hi Hyogen, would love to compare the sound in depth but it's been a while since I owned the D2.

I have always been one for a dap that sounds as it was meant to sound out of the box without having to EQ it and the Cowon despite sounding fairly good once it was finally EQ'd just right was used back when I had iem's such as Senn Ie8's & Shure SE530's. 
All I can say is when I still had those IEM's the Sony X which replaced my D2 & Touch 2G model in one swoop as it sounded way better by no small margin and now the Z has been refined on top of the X despite a different signature. 

Cannot comment on pitch control as I do not have the Z2. 
Quote:

No, I do not think it is the fascination of people first android device/ large screen display. 

I think you will find Hyogen quite a few who wanted the Z to start with where previous Walkman owners who already enjoyed the SQ of the A, S & X models that had been around where waiting for the natural progression in improvements from the next gen Walkman from the previous models and the Z was an overdue replacement in a way for the Z. Many of these Walkmans owners where waiting to see the improvements of the new MX master chip would have over the S master digital amp the X series had or previous A series models.

For some on here they do no like the screen size (me for starters) or are not to fussed about it's o/s and where solely interested with this been Sony's flagship player how it would be for SQ and how it differed from the current new A series model in terms of SQ alone as if the Z was not different in SQ they was going to stick with the A series, but it turned out for some this was not the case, so point is many where prepared to give up a nice small device regardless of it's screen size or flashy android o/s just for the SQ if there was an improvement. 

So the android thing was an added intrigued benefit for many, guessing some of those Walkman owners where already happy android phone users who where happy at the thought of Sony just making a good SQ incorporated with an android o/s for the first time. Think that covers the last 100 pages or so ; )

The going up the scale with more expensive gear with smaller increments of SQ improvements is true to a degree, this is the same I find in the world of Speaker hi-fi as well, the old diminishing returns thing when you go up the ladder to an  extent. But it's those smaller steps as you go up are those that get us nearer to that near as perfect sound as we can portray to ourselves (taking all the poor recordings in the world we have out of the equation of course) that we might ever get. It is a endless journey in theory unless you are already a very rich lucky guy who can just "pass go" to the top of the summit with hi-fi gear. 

Bit those average Joe's by the way will most probably never aim for the flagship price that comes with the Z to start with and would go for something like the E or S Walkmans or Apple Nano's etc to start with anyway. 

One of the renowned downside's to the Sony which has been one of the long overdue features Walkman users thought Sony would sometime implement was the addition of the expandable memory, which I guess everyone thought would of been the natural progression with their first android player since been standard issue for an android phone.
But that is another story of Sony's stubbornness to giving Walkman users what they have all been wanting in a Walkman feature wise.

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

Is it possibly a case if the Samsung if anything like the Sony X we both have you have just got used to that warm type of sig so now when you listen to a more neutral or less warmer sound in comparison it does sound cold when maybe it is not?

Not that I have heard the Samsung but observing you had the X for a long time saying about the Samsung having warmth making the Z sound lifeless without warmth sound like you have just got used to a particular sig which you like.

To me the X was an exception of a player that come along which Sony had not done before with the SQ which I fell in love with, but to me the Z has refined that sound on the X but it has a sig that has gone back to been a bit more neutral, maybe a bit more clinical but tonality wise I would say it is a bit more spot on with the Z to the X, even though I can not comment on the Samsung of course. 

I also have the MDR-Z1000's also and when I got the Z1070 Walkman that pair certainly sounded almost a non coloured presentation, very clean sound and I have had the sensitive treble issue with the MDR-Z's that some others have had but I find it only happens with certain track's which to me might show how revealing the Z cans can be bearing in mind they where aimed at studio use. I would say they only sound bright when the treble issue occurs but other than that I would say compared to the likes of the warm X the Z with the MDR-Z's are clean and balanced with neither mids, bass or top end dominating more than the other. 

The bass range is definitely a tad light on the low end with the MDR-Z's I would say and does not extend far enough which is the sig of these cans to me from any source I pair it with so is not due to the Z1070 thankfully. 

I did though when I was accidentally playing around with the EQ for a pair of cheap Shure iems I had (SE215's) which I had to wear for a day out as my customs where in for refit had to EQ them as they where so bad to listen to (I am the last person to usually use EQ with my music) but I forgot I had left the EQ setting on and couple of days later when I put the MDR-Z's on with the walkman with the bass up a couple notches with a slight hump on the mid range  with the EQ (as the Shures where flat and sterile to say the least)  the MDR-Z's turned into a fun beast with the drivers going really low at will. 

Not saying I well listen to the Z cans with EQ in future as with top notch quality recordings they are very easy to listen to and reproduce the tonality and detail in instruments/vocals very well and gives a non coloured presentation despite the bass been a tad shy on these low end.

I know we all different sources etc but remember reading  the EX1000's you have from some on that thread found them to be bit bright, so taking into account across the board with the A,X, Z series Walkmans differentiating in sig, the MDR-Z1000, EX1000 and the new range of ba's Sony have just introduced if Jeremypsp saying that they sound dark makes it a mystery which way Sony are going direction wise with signatures varying it seems through the range, is there a Sony house sound currently i wonder? hmmm......

But when I got my JH16's back from a refit and I put this with the Z1070 to listen to this is very addictive and this Walkman is certainly not cold or bright, but yet not as warm as the X.  It has rich, velvet layering and is more open sounding to the X with a more control on the lower bass notes which the JH16's lover to go to which is down to the amp in the Z having more power and authority than the X Walkman.  

I will listen now and again to the MDR-Z's with my Z1070 at home as they are a nice pairing still as if they where designed by Sony at the same time to be a marriage, but now I have the JH16's back it is a different ball game listening to these with the Z1070 and at the moment is very addictive to listen to.

I am happy with the new Z SQ, which is an improvement over the X, but is more a case of refinement in improving the seperation, soundstage, and control to a degree with a different sig to boot, so it is a jump from the X but not a big as jump as I was contemplating it might of been, not enough that I am actually still listening to my X and Z and enjoying both still which to me is a compliment to the X also but at the same time still glad I got the addition of the Z1070 (glad it was the Jap model despite album art issues). 

So Duncan, the Samsung worth checking out then, similar sig to the X? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back