New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #3,526 of 4,178
hi i haven't followed any optimisations tips. ive disabled a few apps thats I don't use on it like google, gmail etc but thats it.

ive got 4000 tracks which are all flac and take up 115gb space. theyre on an lexar play 256gb sd card, this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08PCGXPL5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

the card has about 150gb used with the music and data from other apps. i formatted it on the sony player.

have you got much internal space free? i would leave a bit free obviously and also have you updated to the newest firmware they released yesterday? 1.02? i made that video with the newest firmware installed.

Screenshot (Aug 5, 2023 13-20-40).png
I did not put anything on the internal space and yes, I updated to the latest firmware yesterday. It dors not seem to make any change though. It is not "very" laggy but as snappy as on your video. I suspect the sdxc card then

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #3,527 of 4,178
@rowoad do you mean the walkman app is not as snappy? because i doubt it should effect anything else system wise unless youre using it for that as well.

maybe factory reset your player and see what its like with some music just in internal memory to test

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #3,533 of 4,178
@rowoad do you mean the walkman app is not as snappy? because i doubt it should effect anything else system wise unless youre using it for that as well.

maybe factory reset your player and see what its like with some music just in internal memory to test
I have updated the previous and new firmwares, the developer option would freeze when i tap in. Factory reset will solve the freezing. I did not try the snappiness though, only using Sony Music player, no serious lag so far.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,534 of 4,178
The only differences I have noticed so far with the latest update is there is now search bar at the top in the app drawer (pretty sure that wasn’t there before). And they added an option/support for their 360 Reality feature in the sound settings. I think Tidal users can take advantage of that. I use Qobuz and don’t believe they have 360 reality. Other than that I don’t notice anything different with speed.

The side buttons lag I only experience with the stock music app sometimes not all the time and it’s usually when the screen is off and sleeping. With the new update I didn’t notice any improvement on that, yet.

I do feel like the Wi-Fi hiss/chatter got slightly better too and not as noticeable but it’s still there. Maybe it’s just me and a placebo effect and it really didn’t change…

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #3,535 of 4,178
I completely agree. I will say I was able to enable the gestures navigation with an ADB desktop tool manually, if you’re willing to research the steps. I much rather prefer it this way and enjoy not having the buttons always showing along the bottom. Cleaner look overall.
would love to get some instruction on the steps. I have been able to run the ADB thru terminal on my Mac and connected to the Sony. Just don't know what next.

Aug 5, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #3,536 of 4,178
would love to get some instruction on the steps. I have been able to run the ADB thru terminal on my Mac and connected to the Sony. Just don't know what next.

Full gesture navigation can be enabled via this adb command:

Code:
adb shell cmd overlay enable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

To disable it:
Code:
adb shell cmd overlay disable com.android.internal.systemui.navbar.gestural

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #3,537 of 4,178
The only differences I have noticed so far with the latest update is there is now search bar at the top in the app drawer (pretty sure that wasn’t there before). And they added an option/support for their 360 Reality feature in the sound settings. I think Tidal users can take advantage of that. I use Qobuz and don’t believe they have 360 reality. Other than that I don’t notice anything different with speed.

The side buttons lag I only experience with the stock music app sometimes not all the time and it’s usually when the screen is off and sleeping. With the new update I didn’t notice any improvement on that, yet.

I do feel like the Wi-Fi hiss/chatter got slightly better too and not as noticeable but it’s still there. Maybe it’s just me and a placebo effect and it really didn’t change…
thank you for this feedback.

This matches my experience before upgrading the firmware. I still haven't upgraded.

@cliffjnr forgot to mention that I have seen the lag when the screen is off. That's the reason why I use the physical buttons just like @Jrod33084 mentioned

I only use the stock android app and I've disabled several of the Google apps earlier. Mine is the Japan version but I'm in the UK , I wonder whether that matters when upgrading 🤔, does anyone know? @rlw6534 😳

Aug 5, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #3,538 of 4,178

This matches my experience before upgrading the firmware. I still haven't upgraded.

@cliffjnr forgot to mention that I have seen the lag when the screen is off. That's the reason why I use the physical buttons just like @Jrod33084 mentioned

I only use the stock android app and I've disabled several of the Google apps earlier. Mine is the Japan version but I'm in the UK , I wonder whether that matters when upgrading 🤔, does anyone know? @rlw6534 😳

If you use OTA, it will stay the same region as it was originally. I have Japan version also and the update went smoothly for me (I'm in the US).

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #3,539 of 4,178
If you use OTA, it will stay the same region as it was originally. I have Japan version also and the update went smoothly for me (I'm in the US).

as usual thanks for the speedy reply. I'll let it upgrade from the settings menu without thinking about getting too creative this time (by manually downloading files or trying to be "clever" or following "manual steps")

I'll also try to compare and take notes to what @Jrod33084 mentioned, particularly what the following look like before and after the upgrade:

* Search bar available from the drawer apps
* 360 audio
* Physical buttons lag when the screen is off while using the stock app (@rlw6534 have you experienced this?)
* WiFi hiss. I can hear this with my Shure SE215 but never with mdr-1am2, m50x (for example)

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #3,540 of 4,178

Just to add to the data from different users, I have the HK version A306, and have followed @Sonywalkmanuser list of apps/services to disable. I don't observe any UI lag. But I also do not use any streaming services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back