New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #3,541 of 4,163
Hi All,
Just out of curiosity do any of you download albums or songs other than streaming for free? I've transferred a huge amount of ex cd music onto the player but missing some old stuff that's on tape. I'd rather not spend a fortune trying to buy online or go down the Spotify route yet of I can help it. I know that years ago they're used to be sites to get things for free such as Pirate Bay or whatever it was called? Or is there a sharing site?
Cheers Graham

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #3,542 of 4,163
as usual thanks for the speedy reply. I'll let it upgrade from the settings menu without thinking about getting too creative this time (by manually downloading files or trying to be "clever" or following "manual steps")

I'll also try to compare and take notes to what @Jrod33084 mentioned, particularly what the following look like before and after the upgrade:

* Search bar available from the drawer apps
* 360 audio
* Physical buttons lag when the screen is off while using the stock app (@rlw6534 have you experienced this?)
* WiFi hiss. I can hear this with my Shure SE215 but never with mdr-1am2, m50x (for example)

Sony has definitely changed the 360 Audio interface and I'm not really sure how it works as there is no longer any settings within Tidal to select headphones and it doesn't have the "optimization" step.

I have noticed some lag with the control buttons occasionally, but I don't think it's worse than any other DAP and it's not an important issue for me.

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #3,543 of 4,163
update:
I connected the Svanar Wireless to my iPhone 14 and played back with the volume turned all the way up.

I then connected to the Sony and the max volume could be taken upto .

I am running LDAC on Best Effort (confirmed under dev options).

I think Amazon Unlimited HD sounds better on the same track vs Tidal. Track Satellite remix by Alle Farben : Bebe Rexha.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #3,544 of 4,163
Hi All,
Just out of curiosity do any of you download albums or songs other than streaming for free? I've transferred a huge amount of ex cd music onto the player but missing some old stuff that's on tape. I'd rather not spend a fortune trying to buy online or go down the Spotify route yet of I can help it. I know that years ago they're used to be sites to get things for free such as Pirate Bay or whatever it was called? Or is there a sharing site?
Cheers Graham
if i want to own something i find the cheapest way is to buy used cds and rip them. normally cds are a few quid unless its rare or something.

other than that i use boomkat or bandcamp to buy direct as both seem much cheaper than other download sites. however they might not have what youre looking for.

you could pirate it but I would use a vpn if you do and scan for malware etc

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3,545 of 4,163
as usual thanks for the speedy reply. I'll let it upgrade from the settings menu without thinking about getting too creative this time (by manually downloading files or trying to be "clever" or following "manual steps")

I'll also try to compare and take notes to what @Jrod33084 mentioned, particularly what the following look like before and after the upgrade:

* Search bar available from the drawer apps
* 360 audio
* Physical buttons lag when the screen is off while using the stock app (@rlw6534 have you experienced this?)
* WiFi hiss. I can hear this with my Shure SE215 but never with mdr-1am2, m50x (for example)
I have now upgraded and I can't see any changes apart from the 360 audio:

* search bar: The search bar was already present before but I just noticed it doesn't work. I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue? I tap on "search" and it never brings the keyboard up so I cannot search for anything. Looks like a bug or...am I doing something wrong?:triportsad:

* 360 audio: not tested but @rlw6534 confirmed the changes already

*Physical buttons lag: still present. I noticed it happens when the walkman has been sleeping even for a few secs, so, it kind of takes some time to wake up. It might even take up to 3 secs. Once awake it works as expected

* WiFi hiss: this is subjective, but I couldn't hear any difference before and after the hiss is still present. It seems that bluetooth enabled while using wired earphones triggers the hissing more than the wifi itself. Looks the same before and after. (to me)

Before the firmware upgrade (search bar doesn't work)

After the firmware upgrade (search bar still doesn't work)

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #3,546 of 4,163
I have now upgraded and I can't see any changes apart from the 360 audio:

* search bar: The search bar was already present before but I just noticed it doesn't work. I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue? I tap on "search" and it never brings the keyboard up so I cannot search for anything. Looks like a bug or...am I doing something wrong?:triportsad:

* 360 audio: not tested but @rlw6534 confirmed the changes already

*Physical buttons lag: still present. I noticed it happens when the walkman has been sleeping even for a few secs, so, it kind of takes some time to wake up. It might even take up to 3 secs. Once awake it works as expected

* WiFi hiss: this is subjective, but I couldn't hear any difference before and after the hiss is still present. It seems that bluetooth enabled while using wired earphones triggers the hissing more than the wifi itself. Looks the same before and after. (to me)

Before the firmware upgrade (search bar doesn't work)

After the firmware upgrade (search bar still doesn't work)

if you enable the google app the search bar will look like a google search bar and will work. I don't think Sony where assuming people would disable it

Screenshot_20230806-191211.png

Screenshot_20230806-191223.png

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3,547 of 4,163
if you enable the google app the search bar will look like a google search bar and will work. I don't think Sony where assuming people would disable it

Screenshot_20230806-191211.png
Screenshot_20230806-191223.png
Thanks! That must be it. In that case I prefer it disabled. I have it on my android phone and it doesn't look like the Google search bar from your screenshot, it just looks like a search bar to search apps within the phone

Aug 6, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,548 of 4,163
Thanks! That must be it. In that case I prefer it disabled. I have it on my android phone and it doesn't look like the Google search bar from your screenshot, it just looks like a search bar to search apps within the phone
I do wonder if disabling lots of apps and services could effect the player in ways we dont realise

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #3,549 of 4,163
I do wonder if disabling lots of apps and services could effect the player in ways we dont realise
I'd say it depends on the app and it would affect just"android" as an OS. I disabled plenty of Google apps, I tried to attach a screenshot of what I see from my phone and it's essentially a Google-free search box; that's what it should be for the Walkman but it isn't 🤔. Those Google apps should have no effect at all and possibly other non audio apps neither. So far, audio is ok despite the random apps disabled.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #3,550 of 4,163
I do wonder if disabling lots of apps and services could effect the player in ways we dont realisee
Sony certainly allowed a shocking amount of Google services with their UI. Using Gmail and Google home on the A306 is not ideal. Maybe they were going "all in" with the network player idea.

Once booted up, mine is stable and not lagging. Buttons work appropriately. I've done no optimization. I have a 512gb SD with close to 8000 tracks.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #3,551 of 4,163
I'd say it depends on the app and it would affect just"android" as an OS. I disabled plenty of Google apps, I tried to attach a screenshot of what I see from my phone and it's essentially a Google-free search box; that's what it should be for the Walkman but it isn't 🤔. Those Google apps should have no effect at all and possibly other non audio apps neither. So far, audio is ok despite the random apps disabled.
Which supports @cliffjnr point. I've noticed Android is becoming more iOS like with its security features and integration with web based services.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #3,553 of 4,163
I installed the 1.02.00 update on my NW-A306 (NA model) yesterday and I regret doing so. When using the Walkman/Music Player application over Bluetooth with either my Grado GW100x or HIFIMAN Deva Pro, there are now micro-pops and stutters in music playback that weren't present in the previous version. These artifacts are especially prominent when adjusting volume, either on the device or through the headphone buttons on the Grado (the BlueMini dongle doesn't have hardware buttons for volume). I've tried several steps to troubleshoot this on my own, including resetting network settings and re-pairing my devices, and clearing out all settings and the database for the music player, but the issue persists. Even the codec doesn't seem to matter; SBC suffers just as much as aptX HD and LDAC. Frustratingly, there are no such issues when playing music that I've downloaded from Apple Music. Both the Music Player and Apple Music are using a Samsung 512GB PRO Plus card.

I'd advise users who care about Bluetooth playback to hold off on this version, especially if others can corroborate the issues. If anyone has any advice on how to fix this or on how to revert the firmware to the previous version, I'd appreciate it.

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #3,554 of 4,163
Hi, looking for a dap as streamer to my p6p. Do a306 usb out can use as digital single out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back