New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Aug 5, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #3,517 of 4,139
Aug 5, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #3,519 of 4,139
I'm glad you have had a good experience with it. Others have not and have also put up videos. Both can be true.

The snappiness in your video blows away my Hiby R5 Gen 2 for sure. I no longer use Tidal but when I did the response was nothing like that.
my video was only intended to show my experience of the sony. in response to your saying others have said and demonstrated the opposite. i wanted to show the other side, which for me is a great sounding player that doesnt show any perceived lag to me. i mean yeah its not an iphone but its not laggy either.

if other music streaming apps are laggy on it then i would recommend they switch to tidal, which isnt. (tidal does have a few other issues re using an sdcard for downloads - but that is documented on all devices)

i have non biased opinions of these things. i have the dx170 and think it sounds great as well but it occasionally locks up and drives me nuts.

cheers

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #3,520 of 4,139
Firmware 1.02.00 is out...
Has anyone upgraded?
If so, any noticeable changes?

Details here:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/software/00292251

The part that concerns me is the "improves general performance" as it's always a mystery what is hidden behind those words.

I normally use the Walkman for music and similar to what @cliffjnr mentioned, it's not an iPhone but not too bad. For me the only issue is that the response when pressing the buttons is a bit laggy. I press "pause" and it takes possibly a bit more than a second (probably 2?) to react and that's noticeable.

Wondering if anyone had that experience with the physical buttons and what is it like for you @cliffjnr ?

Clearly, as any other naive human it would be great if this firmware tackles that issue but that's what we all want that firmware upgrades solve the issue that we are having and possibly nobody else has 😄

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,521 of 4,139
Has anyone upgraded?

Details here:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ers-nw-nwz-a-series/nw-a306/software/00292251

The part that concerns me is the "improves general performance" as it's always a mystery what is hidden behind those words.

I normally use the Walkman for music and similar to what @cliffjnr mentioned, it's not an iPhone but not too bad. For me the only issue is that the response when pressing the buttons is a bit laggy. I press "pause" and it takes possibly a bit more than a second (probably 2?) to react and that's noticeable.

Wondering if anyone had that experience with the physical buttons and what is it like for you @cliffjnr ?

Clearly, as any other naive human it would be great if this firmware tackles that issue but that's what we all want that firmware upgrades solve the issue that we are having and possibly nobody else has 😄
ill get back to you on the button lag. i use them but its not something ive noticed but it might be the same as yours. ill test it in a bit

Aug 5, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #3,522 of 4,139
heres a screen record I just made on the Sony while using the walkman, tidal, chrome etc.

there is no lag. i use it daily. im getting rid of my ibasso dx170 for that exact reason.

Thanks for the video.
Mine is definitely not as snappy (and I followed all the optimisation tips). Maybe that us linked to the memory card or number off files. I have a Samsung Evo Select UHS-1 U3 256 GB sdxc with over 20,000 files (mostly flac).
Could you please share details about your memory card and files ? Thank you very much

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #3,523 of 4,139
my video was only intended to show my experience of the sony. in response to your saying others have said and demonstrated the opposite. i wanted to show the other side, which for me is a great sounding player that doesnt show any perceived lag to me. i mean yeah its not an iphone but its not laggy either.

if other music streaming apps are laggy on it then i would recommend they switch to tidal, which isnt. (tidal does have a few other issues re using an sdcard for downloads - but that is documented on all devices)

i have non biased opinions of these things. i have the dx170 and think it sounds great as well but it occasionally locks up and drives me nuts.

cheers

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #3,524 of 4,139
Thanks for the video.
Mine is definitely not as snappy (and I followed all the optimisation tips). Maybe that us linked to the memory card or number off files. I have a Samsung Evo Select UHS-1 U3 256 GB sdxc with over 20,000 files (mostly flac).
Could you please share details about your memory card and files ? Thank you very much
hi i haven't followed any optimisations tips. ive disabled a few apps thats I don't use on it like google, gmail etc but thats it.

ive got 4000 tracks which are all flac and take up 115gb space. theyre on an lexar play 256gb sd card, this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08PCGXPL5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

the card has about 150gb used with the music and data from other apps. i formatted it on the sony player.

have you got much internal space free? i would leave a bit free obviously and also have you updated to the newest firmware they released yesterday? 1.02? i made that video with the newest firmware installed.

Screenshot (Aug 5, 2023 13-20-40).png

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #3,525 of 4,139
Has anyone upgraded?

Details here:

hiya ive just put all my tracks on shuffle on the walkman app and the buttons dont seem to be lagging at all. going forward or back. tidal seems ok as well

im using the newest firmware as of yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back