SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #2,191 of 8,639
Dont have amazon music hd so couldnt confirm but all these streaming apps i have and use - apple music, spotify, tidal, deezer, youtube music output 96khz regardless of their native format, even masters on tidal. But the player is indeed capable since UAPP when set to stream tidal in bit perfect does output the right resolution. Downside though is that UAPP cannot play downloaded tidal songs so i dont use that often except when in the house, and i have roon setup there so its not really much use

Feb 25, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,192 of 8,639
All this is very strange.
No idea whats going on with all those frequency.

At least it can do usb audio out while streaming right

Feb 26, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #2,194 of 8,639
^yup it works and sounds great, even better than the dx160 and hiby r6 that streams bit perfect

Sony rules !
I like Japanese technology they are the best in the world!

I also have fujifilm its a Japanese brand really good photo cameras!

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #2,195 of 8,639
Tell me some more about battery life please?

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #2,199 of 8,639
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,200 of 8,639
i get good battery life, but i never stream

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2,201 of 8,639
Battery life is adequate for me, i stream all the time but i also dont listen all day hehe... But as with all wifi devices with screen, it does need to be charged if used extensively... the auto shutdown when not in use turns out to be a great addition in my use case as i dont listen strictly on my zx507, that way when i pick it up its still got enough batt for my use case scenario... for comparison its got the same batt life as my previous daps - dx160, hiby r6 so if u also had used those then its similar...

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #2,202 of 8,639
Battery life is adequate for me, i stream all the time but i also dont listen all day hehe... But as with all wifi devices with screen, it does need to be charged if used extensively... the auto shutdown when not in use turns out to be a great addition in my use case as i dont listen strictly on my zx507, that way when i pick it up its still got enough batt for my use case scenario... for comparison its got the same batt life as my previous daps - dx160, hiby r6 so if u also had used those then its similar...

How do they compare in terms of sound quality?

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #2,203 of 8,639
If i just run flac only, using 4.4mm i can get through an entire work day with still 50-60% battery life on continuous playback, so that's roughly 15-18 hours estimated.

Lately, I've been using a mix of Qobuz streaming and flac playback and it's still lasting me the entire day of us and whatever I use at night to demo iems, and I'll charge it while I'm sleeping.

I think battery is better than what I had with DX160, even after I modded the DX160. I think sound quality is the same at worst and better than DX160. They have similar presentations, though DX160 is a little more aggressive and forward. ZX500 has pretty neutral sound signature with a slight bit of warmth.

Of what I've had over the past couple years, I think this is my current ranking in terms of overall liking for my habits:
ZX507 -> DX160 -> NW-A105 -> SR15 -> R5 -> DP-S1 -> XDP-300R -> DX220 -> M11 -> AP80 -> DX150

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #2,204 of 8,639
If i just run flac only, using 4.4mm i can get through an entire work day with still 50-60% battery life on continuous playback, so that's roughly 15-18 hours estimated.

Lately, I've been using a mix of Qobuz streaming and flac playback and it's still lasting me the entire day of us and whatever I use at night to demo iems, and I'll charge it while I'm sleeping.

I think battery is better than what I had with DX160, even after I modded the DX160. I think sound quality is the same at worst and better than DX160. They have similar presentations, though DX160 is a little more aggressive and forward. ZX500 has pretty neutral sound signature with a slight bit of warmth.

Of what I've had over the past couple years, I think this is my current ranking in terms of overall liking for my habits:
ZX507 -> DX160 -> NW-A105 -> SR15 -> R5 -> DP-S1 -> XDP-300R -> DX220 -> M11 -> AP80 -> DX150

Nice impressions! What made you prefer it over the SR15, DX220 and M11?

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2,205 of 8,639
Nice impressions! What made you prefer it over the SR15, DX220 and M11?

SR15 - great size, nice volume wheel. midrange is exceptional but i feel like it can be too warm for some iems/headphones. It's great pairing with neutral/leaner headphones/iems. I also feel like the player can lag to a grinding halt at times and the lack of a true play store makes it difficult to customize even though it uses android. You have to sideload apps which isn't necessarily as easy as I'd like.

DX220 - its just too big and bulky for my tastes and not easily pocketable nor easy to hold for smaller hands. I also think it lags a bit too much at times, as is the case with iBasso DAPs without rooting/modding. Otherwise, I think it sounds really good. Kinda pricey too (ZX507 is as well), and I don't care too much for swappable amps.

M11 - It leans bright with pretty good detail and air, but I think it's bass and low end is muddy, lacks texture/detail and just not very good. On top of that, there's hissing noise which can affect sensitive IEMs. It's also a little larger than I like, however the screen is really nice and it's got good battery life for android, very fast UI and nice overall look and build. But the sound doesn't match it's competitors like the DX160.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back