SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 24, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #2,161 of 8,642
Was thinking about getting this new Walkman and another pair of Z5’s. Had my mind set on buying the iem-z1r but hell its cheaper for me to buy those two. I own the wm1a but recently got into streaming. What do you all think?

Feb 24, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #2,162 of 8,642
Great ldac combo :)

F5955FB5-E99C-451D-87D0-D2F62EF72EA1.jpeg

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #2,163 of 8,642
Has anyone tried Apple Music with this DAP? Does it work properly, especially downloading music? I remember when I tried it with Fiio X5ii and Cayin M5ii about 2 years ago, it was terrible because downloads were sooo slow and very often stopped, creating playlists was super buggy etc. I am still not sure to this day whether this was because it was the Android versionof Apple Music or it had to do with bad Hardware for streaming.
Apple Music is as my main source on the ZX507. Works flawlessly... The DAP downloads albums for offline listening just as fast and bug-free as my Apple products.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #2,164 of 8,642
Apple Music is as my main source on the ZX507. Works flawlessly... The DAP downloads albums for offline listening just as fast and bug-free as my Apple products.

How about sound quality and high res files?

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,165 of 8,642
So if you're in the US and buying from an online source like Amazon or eBay, how do you determine if you're getting the Japanese version or the EU version with the volume cap? I ordered mine via Amazon from a Japanese seller (the seller also has a presence on eBay it appears), and I'm unsure which one I received... It was described as the "International Version" and when I got it, I assumed the Japanese version because the manual was in Japanese, but who knows. It sounds plenty loud to me, ha ha. Is there a code on the box or in the operating system I can check? Thanks!

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,166 of 8,642
How about sound quality and high res files?
I stream (or rather download from streaming services) exclusively, and the 507 doesn't do high-res from streaming apps, unfortunately. Then again, Apple doesn't offer high-res files, unlike Tidal or Amazon, so I'm not missing anything.

That said, I've always found the sound characteristics of a player or DAC generally outweigh any differences between a well-recored non high-res track, and a well-recorded high-res track. Meaning if I prefer the sound sig of one DAC over another, I'll prefer a good standard track on the favored DAC over the same track in high-res on the other. I happen to really dig the Sony sound... So while it's a bummer I can't listen to Amazon UHD tracks in their intended quality on the ZX507, I still prefer them on this DAP to how they sound on, say, the Mojo in their intended quality.

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #2,167 of 8,642
I stream (or rather download from streaming services) exclusively, and the 507 doesn't do high-res from streaming apps, unfortunately. Then again, Apple doesn't offer high-res files, unlike Tidal or Amazon, so I'm not missing anything.

That said, I've always found the sound characteristics of a player or DAC generally outweigh any differences between a well-recored non high-res track, and a well-recorded high-res track. Meaning if I prefer the sound sig of one DAC over another, I'll prefer a good standard track on the favored DAC over the same track in high-res on the other. I happen to really dig the Sony sound... So while it's a bummer I can't listen to Amazon UHD tracks in their intended quality on the ZX507, I still prefer them on this DAP to how they sound on, say, the Mojo in their intended quality.

I still question my self why sony did this cause Sony ussualy is very leaned toward maximum quality and if there is no benefit they dont go further with unnecessary steps...

So are we being fooled by chi-fi daps or is sony just dont care?

1 thing for sure android sucks and shame we are limited by it to use streaming services.

They all should by pass it and use custom implementation with sony software! That be a problem solved!

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,168 of 8,642
It's not the problem. Sony just follow the rules. I know that.

But, I have purchased this product, I would like to use the product as I want. If I want to replace material parts, I can, it's m'y right. So I want to change the software. It's my right again.

Private uses don't care about this kind of laws. EU can constrain a manufacturer to respect laws, but EU cannot constrain the final user. If I want to explode my ears, I can.

All I ask is that Sony help me with their product. I am not asking them to change their products.
Yes, it is the users right to make any changes that they want to the product that they own. B if you ask Sony to break the law, then Sony becomes culpable.

As a private owner/user, you can apply software, modify firmware, on your privately owned device, etc. etc.

But if a vendor gives you the software to circumvent the law, or even the instructions on how to circumvent the law, then they are breaking the EU law, and EU can charge/fine Sony for breaking the law. If you think of the hundreds of $million fines that the EU levies on company, then you will see this is not a trivial or toothless threat.

It's like asking your lawyer to tell you how to do something illegal. The lawyer will be charged with being an accessory to a crime. The same reason why Mafia bosses try not to give illegal instructions that would make them guilty of a crime. They will only tell their capable assistants to "look after" the situation, expecting their assistants to know what to do, and to take the fall if necessary.

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,169 of 8,642
I've always found the sound characteristics of a player or DAC generally outweigh any differences between a well-recored non high-res track, and a well-recorded high-res track. Meaning if I prefer the sound sig of one DAC over another, I'll prefer a good standard track on the favored DAC over the same track in high-res on the other.

I 100% support this statement! :)

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #2,170 of 8,642
Was thinking about getting this new Walkman and another pair of Z5’s. Had my mind set on buying the iem-z1r but hell its cheaper for me to buy those two. I own the wm1a but recently got into streaming. What do you all think?

The Z5’s pair well with the ZX507. However I’d recommend using a balanced cable as the Z5’s can sound a little bloated in the mid-bass without the extra power.

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,171 of 8,642
The zx507 sounded way better than ibasso dx160 and Hiby r6 on tidal masters. The walkman played the downsampled version while the dx160 and hiby r6 were playing bit perfect... so yeah the ibasso and hiby get props for making sure their players play the intended format, but Sony just showed its not just all about specs, the implementation is equally important as the zx507 definitely sounded better than both even if the latter two can play the master file natively. Not to mention, the hiby r6 and dx160 were a bit wonky on the downloaded offline files on tidal, and of course the hiss when using wifi for sensitive in-ears like my shure se846. Also the dreaded bluetooth connection of the hiby and dx160 compared to the rock solid connection on the zx507 using ldac. I almost lost faith that dedicated daps on android can get a decent bluetooth implementation as my other dap - onkyo dpx1 - was also notorious for having flaky bluetooth connection

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #2,173 of 8,642
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,174 of 8,642
Is anyone finding the Sony screen size too small to operate for mens hands or old eyes to read?

Also anyone using Amazon Music HD? How is that going with its lack of hardware button control? Do you need a microscope to see what's going on on the screen / pay next track / change paramiters?

I had one for a week but sent it back for not streaming or playing hi res downloads. It also frustrated me for being too tiny although the shirt pocket fit was nice. I may have answered my own questions but I am reconsidering.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,175 of 8,642
Is anyone finding the Sony screen size too small to operate for mens hands or old eyes to read?

Also anyone using Amazon Music HD? How is that going with its lack of hardware button control? Do you need a microscope to see what's going on on the screen / pay next track / change paramiters?

It's fine for me most of the time. The only time I have issue with the screen size is when I have to type something to search for songs or album I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back