SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 23, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #2,146 of 8,642
Hi, I have the EU 507 version. There is any risk if I try to install the japanese fw ?

I would like to completely remove the volume cap, but I didn't find how.
No risk, I tried myself and it did not remove volume cap...
I'm close to send it back and try to find an Asian version instead.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #2,147 of 8,642
Here's the Minerva Leather case from Dignis. Also have a tempered glass screen protector installed.

Which screen protector you're using?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,149 of 8,642
I contacted sony to find a solution.

Sony is not going to find a solution, they are just compliant with EU rules, a safety limit on volume levels came into force on all new personal music players in 2013.

You can read more here : "Questions and answers on the mandate for new safety standards for personal music players" on the European Commission site.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,152 of 8,642
Rather a shame Sony decided not to showcase the zx507 at the UK Bristol Hi-Fi show this weekend! I took my ZX1 to compare but all they had was the A100 and a bunch of wireless headphones. They totally misread what the show was all about. Previous years they've had the WM1A and WM1Z etc.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,153 of 8,642
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,154 of 8,642
I did. When fresh out of the box, I used the famous song "Last Christmas" of WHAM! to test. In the first few hours my ZX507 produced strong bass but the texture of it was linear and the punch was shallow. The mid and high already shined but the whole sound signature was kind of tight and a bit hollow. I am familiar with this sound signature because it is like my previous ZX2 and ZX300 when fresh out of the box.

Now it has been burned in for about 75 hours. When listening to the same song, the bass has grown and produces powerful punch and the whole sound signature has become "thicken" and coherent. I expect more to come after 120 hours (I remember 120 hours was the time mark for my previous ZX300, which the bass suddenly unleashed and the bass punch was extremely powerful).
Is there a way to find out how much “burn“ time is left?

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #2,155 of 8,642
Sony is not going to find a solution, they are just compliant with EU rules, a safety limit on volume levels came into force on all new personal music players in 2013.

You can read more here : "Questions and answers on the mandate for new safety standards for personal music players" on the European Commission site.
It's not the problem. Sony just follow the rules. I know that.

But, I have purchased this product, I would like to use the product as I want. If I want to replace material parts, I can, it's m'y right. So I want to change the software. It's my right again.

Private uses don't care about this kind of laws. EU can constrain a manufacturer to respect laws, but EU cannot constrain the final user. If I want to explode my ears, I can.

All I ask is that Sony help me with their product. I am not asking them to change their products.

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,156 of 8,642
Feb 23, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #2,157 of 8,642
Has anyone tried Apple Music with this DAP? Does it work properly, especially downloading music? I remember when I tried it with Fiio X5ii and Cayin M5ii about 2 years ago, it was terrible because downloads were sooo slow and very often stopped, creating playlists was super buggy etc. I am still not sure to this day whether this was because it was the Android versionof Apple Music or it had to do with bad Hardware for streaming.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #2,159 of 8,642
Has anyone tried Apple Music with this DAP? Does it work properly, especially downloading music? I remember when I tried it with Fiio X5ii and Cayin M5ii about 2 years ago, it was terrible because downloads were sooo slow and very often stopped, creating playlists was super buggy etc. I am still not sure to this day whether this was because it was the Android versionof Apple Music or it had to do with bad Hardware for streaming.

^i do, using apple music, deezer, tidal and spotify. All these work bug free at least in my experience. offline songs downloaded on my sandisk 512gb micro sd. no pops or any bugs encountered so far, a very solid dap. I had the x5iii before and the onkyo dpx1 and those were a hit and miss with downloaded songs, sometimes you hear pops in songs, and sometimes doesnt work at all, really a hassle to be honest... the zx507 i have has none of those flaws, works similar as my iphone when it comes to playing offline music.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #2,160 of 8,642
^i do, using apple music, deezer, tidal and spotify. All these work bug free at least in my experience. offline songs downloaded on my sandisk 512gb micro sd. no pops or any bugs encountered so far, a very solid dap. I had the x5iii before and the onkyo dpx1 and those were a hit and miss with downloaded songs, sometimes you hear pops in songs, and sometimes doesnt work at all, really a hassle to be honest... the zx507 i have has none of those flaws, works similar as my iphone when it comes to playing offline music.

That is very good news. I love streaming but only made bad experiences with the DAPs I have used so far. So currently I go BT for streaming. I am thinking of getting a DAP again now and the ZX507 is definitely on my list...
I just wished it would offer BT receiving mode, like the ZX300...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back