SONY NW-ZX500
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #2,206 of 8,642

IMG_3135.jpgIMG_3136.jpgIMG_3137.jpgIMG_3138.jpgIMG_3139.jpg

Feb 27, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #2,208 of 8,642
Does anyone here stream over AAC with an iphone? Is it appreciably worse than LDAC.

What exactly do you mean? Use an iPhone as a BT transmitter to a BT headphone or BT receiver/DAC? But I am wondering what does it have to do with ZX507 (works not as a BT receiver)? Or do you simply mean to compare the SQ of files sent by the ZX507 via LDAC compared to Files sent by an iPhone via AAC? But the SQ also depends on the original file format you use Ldac for and the receiving gear, right? So it’s quite relative...

To somehow answer your question anyway: I stream via iPhone AAC to my BTR5 and XDSD and find the quality really good. Surprisingly good. Especially on the XDSD the difference compared to listening to it wired is not a big difference. From what I know AAC does not (or almost not) get compressed further when sent via Apple devices. I think that is also the reason why Apple insists so much on this format, because it works so seamlessly in the Apple universe.
Comparing to MP3 320 songs sent via Ldac (with my friend‘s Android phone) I found they sound a little bit brighter in tonality, but not necessarily better.

Of course it will be a little different if you compare AAC to a FLAC files sent via BT (Ldac in this case). Maybe you will have sliiiighly more detail. But to be honest, me, personally, I think High Res is overrated. There is quite a bit of scientific research out there that proves that test persons cannot reliably distinguish between a high number of AAC, MP3 320 and High Res tracks. It really depends more on the recording itself etc. So I would not care too much!
Also that is why I think it’s not the end of the world that the Sony downsamples Amazon Masters. But I know there are different opinions about it in this forum.

In short:

AAC wired vs AAC BT: No big difference.

AAC BT vs MP3 320 LDac - BT: No big difference.

AAC BT vs High Res LDac-BT: Maybe slightly more detail through LDac, but also depends on how much you believe in High Res generally (same discussion as wired).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #2,209 of 8,642
Feb 27, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2,210 of 8,642
SR15 - great size, nice volume wheel. midrange is exceptional but i feel like it can be too warm for some iems/headphones. It's great pairing with neutral/leaner headphones/iems. I also feel like the player can lag to a grinding halt at times and the lack of a true play store makes it difficult to customize even though it uses android. You have to sideload apps which isn't necessarily as easy as I'd like.

DX220 - its just too big and bulky for my tastes and not easily pocketable nor easy to hold for smaller hands. I also think it lags a bit too much at times, as is the case with iBasso DAPs without rooting/modding. Otherwise, I think it sounds really good. Kinda pricey too (ZX507 is as well), and I don't care too much for swappable amps.

M11 - It leans bright with pretty good detail and air, but I think it's bass and low end is muddy, lacks texture/detail and just not very good. On top of that, there's hissing noise which can affect sensitive IEMs. It's also a little larger than I like, however the screen is really nice and it's got good battery life for android, very fast UI and nice overall look and build. But the sound doesn't match it's competitors like the DX160.

Thanks a lot for your further impressions!

I think I have a similar taste in DAPs as you, when it comes to sound, size and usability. Me, too, I wasn’t so blown away by the M11, for example.
Actually the last DAP I was really happy with, was the Sony ZX-1, many years ago. Because it is as the only one I owned that worked absolutely flawlessly, like a smartphone. Just at some point unfortunately the Android was too old and I could not use some streaming services anymore. After that, I got the DP-X1 and hoped for a good replacement. Worked ok, but had a few bugs and was way too chunky. Also, I found it sounded quite cold. But it got only worse. My next DAP experiences, X5iii and M5ii were almost traumatic because they were sooooo buggy and laggy that eventually I lost trust in DAPs and after that only used my smartphone + BT Dac/Amps for years. It’s been a while that I have been as interested in a DAP as I am now in the ZX507. Not only did I really, really like the sound trying it out with my own music (I care more about my gut feeling when listening to a device than listening to hype or specs) but also I trust Sony a lot when it comes to overall user experience- because they are so much more experienced in that regard compared to most other DAP makers. I am really fed up to say: „I works meh.....but hey, it sounds great.“ Enjoying music on the go is also about using gear without having to think about it and not carrying a heavy stone in one‘s pocket. At least imo. :)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #2,211 of 8,642
Regarding battery life, obviously modern lithium-ion batteries do not need to be fully charged before their first use, but I am aware of several digital devices (certain cameras) that have a battery management subroutine in the software that can indeed be affected by the first charge... The life is essentially set by the first charge. With this in mind, I go old-school and fully charge any smart device before first use. Unless I know something is “dumb”, like a bike light or whatever, it gets fully charged first. Call me paranoid, ha ha.

Anyway, I did this with my ZX507, and I have to say, my battery life is stellar. Like 99% after the player sat unused for two weeks.

I wonder if the ZX507 has a similar battery management subroutine in the software, and perhaps those experiencing battery issues could fix them by wiping the device and setting it up as new, then fully charging it before the first use?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #2,214 of 8,642
Have anyone try using the Player as a USB DAC for Laptop / Computer? Any Noticeable Delay etc...?

Still officially does not have USB-DAC mode? Or do I not have the newest information?

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,215 of 8,642
ZX500/A100 Optimization and Tweak Guide.
All these can be reversible back to original settings without any issues.

Please restart your device after disabling the apps/services to take effect:
To restart: with screen turn on, hold the power button for a few sec, then tap on restart

Disabling of Android Battery Optimization:
This tweak can improve stability of streaming apps. It will prevent Android from stopping or slowing down processing time of the streaming app or music player app.
You can also disable battery optimization for all apps in your walkman if you want a more responsive feel
This tweak might cause your battery life to decrease or cause extra heat. It really depends on the app's cpu usage & network usage on the system.
more info:
https://www.theandroidsoul.com/doze-mode-android/

To disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Battery Optimization >
Select App and Tap on Don't Optimize
choice of:
A) only don't optimize the streaming apps & music player that you use
B) don't optimize for all apps

Tips to improve battery time:
1) Settings > Security & Location > Find My Device > OFF
2) Settings > Security & Location > Privacy > Location > OFF
3) Settings > Accounts > Automatically Sync Data > OFF
4) Settings > Security & Location > Location > Advanced > Scanning > Switch OFF Both WIFI and Bluetooth Scanning
5) Settings > Google > Tap on Top Right of Screen at Vertical Three Dots, Usage & Diagnostics > OFF
6) Settings > Google > On-Device Sharing > Turn OFF all listed
7) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Usage Access:
Switch off for Digital Well Being, Google, Google Play Services, Google Play Store
8)Turn off NFC: Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > OFF

Tips to Improve DAP responsiveness:
1) Settings > Accessibility > Remove Animations > ON
2) Download Google Files from Play Store
Clean Junk Files once in a while(weekly or daily)
3) Use GPU Acceleration: Settings > System > Advanced > *Developer Options > Force GPU Rendering > ON
* = To enable Developer mode: Settings > System > About Device > Build Number (tap 10 times on it)
4) Limit Background Process: Settings > System Advanced > "Developer Options > Background Process Limit: No Background Processes or At Most 2 Processes
This setting depends on what you are using your DAP for. If it's dedicated to just playing offline music, then no background process. If you are using USB Audio Player Pro along with Tidal, then increase the limit accordingly to the number of apps running.
More info here:
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...des-or-risks-to-limiting-background-processes

Apps that can be disabled safely without affecting playback functionality or performance:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps:
Calculator
Calendar
Chrome
Contacts
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Google
Google Japanese Input
Google Pinyin Input
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text to Speech Engine
Maps
mora
Photos

Redundant System Apps to disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps
Touch the three vertical dots on top right of screen then tap on [Show System]
Disable these:
Blocked Numbers Storage
Calendar Storage
Contacts Storage
com.android.soundrecorder
Default Print Service
Google One Time Init
Google Partner Setup
Google Backup Transport
Market Feedback Agent
Print Service Recommendation Service
User Dictionary

Hidden deep inside ZX507 settings, you can adjust bluetooth connection quality:
Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality >

LDAC Sound Quality Pref.
LDAC Connection Pref. (This is default)
Aptx HD
AptX
AAC
SBC Sound Quality Pref.
SBC Connection Pref.
Thanks for the post, now I’m getting better battery life

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,216 of 8,642
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,217 of 8,642
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,219 of 8,642
Remember to spray cleaning and antivirus agents, leave in the intense sun light for 2 days before opening. Then for every other layer, until finally the player and accessories.

Mask and gloves on

Fujcd ck i just got my pw1960 from Hong Kong ditectly and no gloves or masks LoL

I am still alive few

Users who are viewing this thread

Back