SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 2, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #2,238 of 8,642
Found it: Dec. 7, 2019, atahanuz in post 1062, spells it out - no line out. :triportsad:

I think it does usb audio out digital not analog.

I will receive my unit soon. I will do the test.

I want to use it as source to feed my wm1z via usb or ldac which ever works.

Though i think u canot use it as usb dac or bluetooth dac either. Mean audio in only out

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #2,239 of 8,642
I think it does usb audio out digital not analog.

I will receive my unit soon. I will do the test.

I want to use it as source to feed my wm1z via usb or ldac which ever works.

Though i think u canot use it as usb dac or bluetooth dac either. Mean audio in only out
Can confirm it definitely works via LDAC :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,240 of 8,642
Damz87 - did you ever get the sony xba z5 and NW-ZX507 to ever work? I know from the Z5 thread you complained about the mid bass bloat which is concerning. Did you have a chance to run them via balanced kimber cable on high gain and if so what were the results? Can the mid bass bloat be remedied by NW-ZX507 sound processing or filters (not referring to EQ) or did the updated firmware have any effect? These are probably the two most compelling audio products I would like to purchase, it would be a real shame if there was no cohesion there.

Mar 3, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #2,241 of 8,642
Damz87 - did you ever get the sony xba z5 and NW-ZX507 to ever work? I know from the Z5 thread you complained about the mid bass bloat which is concerning. Did you have a chance to run them via balanced kimber cable on high gain and if so what were the results? Can the mid bass bloat be remedied by NW-ZX507 sound processing or filters (not referring to EQ) or did the updated firmware have any effect? These are probably the two most compelling audio products I would like to purchase, it would be a real shame if there was no cohesion there.

I haven’t listened to them together for a while actually, I’ll have a listen now and let you know :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,242 of 8,642

Listening to Harmony by CloZee on Tidal hifi:

A/Bing between the ZX507 & WM1Z with U1.02 firmware. Using an IER-M9 4.4mm cable. I realise this isn't a fair comparison given the price difference between the two DAP's, but this is all I've got to compare with unfortunately. Also keep in mind that my music taste is generally bass heavy stuff like this, so this may not be applicable for other genres.

This song has a pretty continuous bass punch with a tonne of underlying sub bass rumble. In direct mode, overall it sounds okay but It's a little hard to distinguish the differing bass notes and textures. The bass attack isn't that well defined and kinda blends into the subbass. Switched over to the WM1Z and it sounds a lot more defined and accurate.

Switched back to ZX507, turned on DSEE HX and cycled through the DC Phase Linearizer options. I found that 'Type B Standard' improved the bass and sounds a lot closer to WM1Z performance. Mids and treble seem to be unaffected. This song has a female vocal sample, whistling birds and a tambourine-ish type sound that all sound good to me in both direct mode and with DSP on.

Didn't hear much of a difference with vinyl processor.

Sorry I haven't got my kimber cable with me so I can't test that. But in the past I've never noticed much of an audible difference between the kimber cable and the stock IER-M9 cable. I would definitely recommend the M9 cable over the Kimber. It's cheaper and more comfortable (for me at least) with the Z5.

All things considered I think this is a great pairing overall for the price and convenience.

Hope this is helpful :) happy to test out anything else you need so feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,244 of 8,642
Did someone had m11 from fiio and listening 507. I am wondering what are the differences in sound as i sold my m11 and now thinking to get this good dap from sony. I liked m11 but didn't liked it that it had a little brighter tonality and a little bit too much emphasis on mid and treble, and low end lacked a bit. Also sometimes it sounded too much analytical and lacked musicality to sound so needed to use more warmer musical sounding iems to compensate this. So as i newer had sony dap don't know what to expect but does 507 is more musical or analytical dap. How do you think?

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,245 of 8,642
Did someone had m11 from fiio and listening 507. I am wondering what are the differences in sound as i sold my m11 and now thinking to get this good dap from sony. I liked m11 but didn't liked it that it had a little brighter tonality and a little bit too much emphasis on mid and treble, and low end lacked a bit. Also sometimes it sounded too much analytical and lacked musicality to sound so needed to use more warmer musical sounding iems to compensate this. So as i newer had sony dap don't know what to expect but does 507 is more musical or analytical dap. How do you think?

It sits somehow in the middle of musical and analytical imo - with a slight tendency to musical and warmth. I have heard the m11, too, and definitely prefered the Sony for that reason. Another good thing about the Sony is that you have a lot of possible DSP adjustments of the sound - systemwide! So you can generally make it sound even more as you like it! :)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,246 of 8,642
It sits somehow in the middle of musical and analytical imo - with a slight tendency to musical and warmth. I have heard the m11, too, and definitely prefered the Sony for that reason. Another good thing about the Sony is that you have a lot of possible DSP adjustments of the sound - systemwide! So you can generally make it sound even more as you like it! :)
What an info. Thanks. This is what i need from dap. Not try to be detail monster but also to have enough of all frequencies. And this systemwide dsp is amazing thing as my m11 had eq only with default player and even then it was a joke as it practically wasn't working. So it seems it is upgrade in few main directions from m11 . What about low end. ? Looks like it is not lacking there. But how about control? Don't you feel it is boomy or loose as i liked m11 that it had really good control in low end even it was somehow lacking in low end feel compared to treble.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,248 of 8,642
I have both NW ZX507 (Japanese version) Sony XBA Z5(made in Japan) and run them via balanced kimber cable on high gain and Direct source on and they pair fantastic, it sounds like perfect match and I truly enjoy pure magic sound stage and very detailed sound and I am not audiophile and so I may not express technically correct but it is real.Thanks

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #2,249 of 8,642
I have both NW ZX507 (Japanese version) Sony XBA Z5(made in Japan) and run them via balanced kimber cable on high gain and Direct source on and they pair fantastic, it sounds like perfect match and I truly enjoy pure magic sound stage and very detailed sound and I am not audiophile and so I may not express technically correct but it is real.Thanks

Yeah, with all things considered, it’s a very good match. On the Z5 thread I was comparing all of my sources (not just daps) to find my absolute favourite purely on sound quality. But that’s not considering price, form factor etc. Not really a fair comparison or complaint in this context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back