SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,251 of 8,642
What an info. Thanks. This is what i need from dap. Not try to be detail monster but also to have enough of all frequencies. And this systemwide dsp is amazing thing as my m11 had eq only with default player and even then it was a joke as it practically wasn't working. So it seems it is upgrade in few main directions from m11 . What about low end. ? Looks like it is not lacking there. But how about control? Don't you feel it is boomy or loose as i liked m11 that it had really good control in low end even it was somehow lacking in low end feel compared to treble.

Hi!
My own impression is not that it is particularly boomy. It`s tight deep bass! :)

But then, on the other hand, so much in this hobby is relative and depending on taste/what people are used to. Sometimes I even think, DAP sound in general is overrated. Because nuances between DAPs are so small. I think in the end the earphones/headphones are much more important for the output. And if it doesn’t fit 100%: The Sony has this really well working system wide EQ! I am sure you can find a "perfect bass" for you with it - at least I did! :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #2,252 of 8,642
no full MQA decoding. yes offline playlists but throttled at 48/16.

Okay, thanks. That’s a bit of a shame then. I’m still trying to find a DAP that does full MQA in bit-perfect mode, without any upsampling or downsampling. So many are advertised as MQA-capable but when you look deeper they don’t support MQA fully.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,253 of 8,642
Hiby R5?

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #2,256 of 8,642
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,257 of 8,642
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,262 of 8,642
it plays MQA downloaded files. do you have any of those? lol--no, neither do I

it doesn't stream MQA from Tidal, the biggest source of this music for streaming

Wow. Just wow. So it's MQA certified as per the MQA site, but doesn't do MQA in the normal sense of the word (i.e. Using the TIDAL app for TIDAL MQA streaming and TIDAL offline playlists).

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,263 of 8,642
Wow. Just wow. So it's MQA certified as per the MQA site, but doesn't do MQA in the normal sense of the word (i.e. Using the TIDAL app for TIDAL MQA streaming and TIDAL offline playlists).

Total nonsence right?

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,264 of 8,642
Esą we
Hi!
My own impression is not that it is particularly boomy. It`s tight deep bass! :)

But then, on the other hand, so much in this hobby is relative and depending on taste/what people are used to. Sometimes I even think, DAP sound in general is overrated. Because nuances between DAPs are so small. I think in the end the earphones/headphones are much more important for the output. And if it doesn’t fit 100%: The Sony has this really well working system wide EQ! I am sure you can find a "perfect bass" for you with it - at least I did! :)
Thanks and you are right, daps not the main part in the final sound but i still feel if dap gives sound what i need or not and when you need to look for some headphones to mask what you don't like from dap, then i feel that i am cheating to myself. And not talking about time when dap isn't able to give enough resolution or don't have good control. In this situation even good headphones could look like mediocre thing. So this way dap for me is the foundation on which i am building my sound. And this sony dap really seems like a good start. Even if it is not fully mqa dap as people discuss there. I think not the numbers and specification is the main thing. If it sounds good i don't care what sample rate it is - it sound good and this is it. And with this dap you can customize sound as you want in each app so it is big thumbs up for that. Thanks for sharing your experience hope i will be happy with this dap as you are :wink:

Mar 4, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,265 of 8,642
My 3months long term sound quality review of ZX507(fw 1.2) with IER-M9 balanced:

This walkman is just so addictive to listen to. The DSEE HX DSP function provides the extra omph to the liveliness(transients feel more accurate and soundstage feels holographic) of the music without exhibiting any bit of Artificial sounding.

In my opinion, the Sony Chief Sound Engineers for this walkman has striked a good balanced betweeen sharp hyper detailed sounding and smooth musicality. You can get more detail by enabling DSEE HX or you can get more smoothness by using Direct Source.

I don't really use this walkman as a streaming device. It's main purpose is playing files stored on the sdcard.

FW 1.2 seems to have improve battery life with DSEE HX DSP usage. Inside pocket Heat generation is acceptable.

Let's hope Sony will continue to work on this player and allow android apps access to other sampling rates outside of the fixed 16bit 48KHz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back